• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CrimsoNation713

Kirby Smart set to interview at Auburn - Latest Auburn coaching rumors

104 posts in this topic

http://www.chatsports.com/auburn-tigers/a/Kirby-Smart-set-to-interview-at-Auburn-Latest-Auburn-coaching-rumors-10-7-48#

12/2/2012 3:20pm ET

We have just received word that Alabama defensive coordinator, and Nick Saban’s right hand man, Kirby Smart is going to interview for the Auburn football coaching job on Tuesday or Wednesday.

The latest buzz around the web is that Auburn officials watched the SEC Championshipkirby.jpg game yesterday at the home of a top Auburn booster and the consensus was that they would never compete with Alabama (or Georgia) as an offensive first program. The blueprint for winning the SEC is and will continue to be defense first (now that Urban Meyer has moved on) and Auburn wants to get in on the “Sabanization” of college football.

“People want the blueprint,” says Florida coach Will Muschamp, who was Saban’s defensive coordinator from 2002 to ’04. And who better to give it to them than the man who has run the defense for Saban for the last 5 seasons, in which they appeared in the BCS Championship 3 of those 5 seasons.

Smart, who makes $950,000 as DC at Bama, will likely command a HUGE salary to go head to head vs. his mentor. The early whispers are a 5 year, $20M offer being extended to Smart if the Auburn administration gives the thumbs up post-interview.

Smart will turn 37 in 3 weeks and was 32 years old when names DC at Alabama. Some have called him a boy genius – but it remains to be seen if he succeed without St. Nicks guiding hand

Wouldn't mind it at all. Excellent defensive mind, INTENSE, and players seem to love him.

Seems like a less intense Muschamp.

Kirby Smart is a class act and Auburn should consider itself blessed.

it would be sad to see him go, but he's destined for bigger and better things. Not sure how the Auburn family feels about leeching off the almighty Saban though.

it would be sad to see him go, but he's destined for bigger and better things. Not sure how the Auburn family feels about leeching off the almighty Saban though.

Leeching is a strong word, he's a good coach in his own right. We'd be "leeching" if we hired any assistant I guess.

Pat Dye was Alabama's coach in waiting. Worked out pretty well.

Not really sold on Kirby Smart. If it were my school, I wouldn't be happy with that choice.

Leeching is a strong word, he's a good coach in his own right. We'd be "leeching" if we hired any assistant I guess.

Pat Dye was Alabama's coach in waiting. Worked out pretty well.

I don't necessarily mean leeching in a bad way. I know of several Auburn fans who would absolutely hate it because they want nothing to do with Saban and Bama. I really think Kirby is a damn good coach and have personally wanted him to be our next HC because he is so much like Saban.

Leaving Alabama for Auburn isn't that like against the law

It is illegal in 49 states. I will leave it up to you to guess which state it is legal in.

It is illegal in 49 states. I will leave it up to you to guess which state it is legal in.

Hawaii?

It worked out well with Pat Dye.

I think he could be a good up and comer but isn't a 5 year $20 million contract a little premature for a guy with no HC experience? Seems like a bit of a gamble.

This conference is going to be so boring if we all get Saban-esque coaches.

Glad Muschamp hasn't uttered the word "process" since he's been here.

I know Kirby is going somewhere it's only a matter of time. I wish him well but the show will Roll on when he does leave. I had rather it not be to Auburn but the ribbing would be nice for awhile.

I'm not sure Kirby is ready for a gig like Auburn, that's a pretty big gamble for both parties.

Bad move for both sides imo

1. Does Auburn really want to hire a guy who has never been a head coach before? Shouldn't they go after someone more proven, like the opposite of what they did with Chizik? Get someone in there well known and get your program going in the right direction. I wouldn't take another risk with a questionable HC.

2. Smart going to the state rival in a program going downhill quick? Having your first job in the SEC and to face your old boss? Start somewhere else and work your way up to a better position to succeed.

Also, I don't know how much longer Saban wants to stay but if it's within 5 year go ahead and name Smart the head coach in waiting. I know that contradicts a little of what I stated above but with already knowing the players and inheriting a probable top team he would have a lot more success.

Bad move for both sides imo

1. Does Auburn really want to hire a guy who has never been a head coach before? Shouldn't they go after someone more proven, like the opposite of what they did with Chizik? Get someone in there well known and get your program going in the right direction. I wouldn't take another risk with a questionable HC.

2. Smart going to the state rival in a program going downhill quick? Having your first job in the SEC and to face your old boss? Start somewhere else and work your way up to a better position to succeed.

Also, I don't know how much longer Saban wants to stay but if it's within 5 year go ahead and name Smart the head coach in waiting. I know that contradicts a little of what I stated above but with already knowing the players and inheriting a probable top team he would have a lot more success.

It sounds like you don't want him at auburn more than anything else lol

It sounds like you don't want him at auburn more than anything else lol

I like Kirby Smart but idk if it's the best move for either side like I said, would I have him as my HC? Absolutely. Our two teams are in different positions though and that makes the decision a bit more difficult.

The jury is out on his head coaching ability obviously, but he has to start somewhere. A major SEC school though? Probably won't flourish, but they'll have a hell of a recruiter with roots in Alabama and Georgia...that kind of scares me to be honest. When you put in all the work he does, and make no mistakes about it, he's a Saban clone when it comes to work ethic. You're bound to get a legitimate shot, but I don't know about a SEC west school as your first stop.

Also your rival? Don't do it Kirby.

If you can't beat them buy them. Has worked for recruits why not a coach. 20M over 5 is a big gamble for a guy with no HC experience though.

Bama fans just don't want him at Auburn...

I don't want him anywhere except Bama

I don't think his skill as a recruiter is a good reason for anybody to hire him. AU already does a great job of recruiting, talent isn't their problem. Not like he's going to do any better a job of that than the last staff.