• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Joker

Twinkies Maker Hostess Going Out of Business

17 posts in this topic

You gotta love those labor unions.... Another iconic company destroyed by union strongarming. Hopefully the Union is proud. They went on strike over a 2% drop to their pensions and now they don't get anything. Their pensions are now liquidated to pay the debt and they lose their jobs and everyone loses a Hostess product they grew up with.

Twinkies Maker Hostess Going Out of Business

“We deeply regret the necessity of today’s decision, but we do not have the financial resources to weather an extended nationwide strike,” CEO says

Hostess, the makers of Twinkies, Ding Dongs and Wonder Bread, is going out of business after striking workers failed to heed a Thursday deadline to return to work, the company said.

“We deeply regret the necessity of today’s decision, but we do not have the financial resources to weather an extended nationwide strike,” Hostess CEO Gregory F. Rayburn said in announcing that the firm had filed a motion with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court to shutter its business. “Hostess Brands will move promptly to lay off most of its 18,500-member workforce and focus on selling its assets to the highest bidders.”

Hostess Brands Inc. had warned employees that it would file to unwind its business and sell off assets if plant operations didn't return to normal levels by 5 p.m. Thursday. In announcing its decision, Hostess said its wind down would mean the closure of 33 bakeries, 565 distribution centers, approximately 5,500 delivery routes and 570 bakery outlet stores in the United States.

The Irving, Texas-based company had already reached a contract agreement with its largest union, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters. But thousands of members in its second-biggest union went on strike late last week after rejecting in September a contract offer that cut wages and benefits. Officials for the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union say the company stopped contributing to workers' pensions last year.

In an interview with Fox Business, CEO Gregory Rayburn said many workers had already crossed picket lines this week to go back to work despite warnings by union leadership that they'd be fined.

"The problem is we don't have enough crossing those lines to maintain normal production," said Rayburn, who first joined Hostess earlier this year as a restructuring expert. Hostess said that production at about a dozen of the company's 33 plants had been seriously affected by the strike. Three plants were closed earlier this week.

The privately held company filed for Chapter 11 protection in January, its second trip through bankruptcy court in less than a decade. The company cited increasing pension and medical costs for employees as one of the drivers behind its latest filing. Hostess had argued that workers must make concessions for it to exit bankruptcy and improve its financial position.

The company, founded in 1930, was fighting battles beyond labor costs, however. Competition is increasing in the snack space and Americans are increasingly conscious about healthy eating. Hostess also makes Dolly Madison, Drake's and Nature's Pride snacks.

If the motion is granted, Hostess would begin closing operations as early as Tuesday.

"Most employees who lose their jobs should be eligible for government-provided unemployment benefits," Hostess said.

Copyright Associated Press / NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Twinkies Maker Hostess Going Out of Business | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

We have triumphed in our disput with the evil corporation. ThA celebration will be held tomorrow at the local unemployment office....

We have triumphed in our disput with the evil corporation. ThA celebration will be held tomorrow at the local unemployment office....

I would LMAO if it wasn't so sad and so stupid. Looks like the baker's union didn't believe what they were told WOULD happen and then it did. Radical unions strike again..........reminds me of the Machinists Union forcing the closure of Eastern Airlines many years ago.........

This is bulls--t. Now what the hell are we going to eat after the nuclear holocaust? Zombieland is looking more and more likely.

Hopefully someone like Nabisco, Kellogs, etc. buys these product lines!

Awesome...now those unionized employees can go home with their chests poked out...tell their children, no Christmas this year kids...but we sure maintained our solidarity.

Hopefully someone like Nabisco, Kellogs, etc. buys these product lines!

Even if they did the workers who held out still won't get their jobs back. These companies will use their own workers. And they prob wouldn't taste the same.

There is no need for unions nowadays...unless the goal is to make companies close their doors.

There is no need for unions nowadays...unless the goal is to make companies close their doors.

And to make tons of money off the members. If i were part of a union i would want the fellow co worker in charge not someone who doesnt work there.

PBR may buy the company. Best combo pack ever or wost combo pack ever? Discuss amongst yourselves.

I have a twinkie once every 2-3 years so even if the taste is different with a new company it'll still be close enough. The vast majority of us won't notice a difference. Any company would be buying the recipe, not just the name.

I had to laugh at the Hostess display at publix being completely empty on Friday. I would have loved to see the people buying 10 boxes that morning.

PBR may buy the company. Best combo pack ever or wost combo pack ever? Discuss amongst yourselves.

I have a twinkie once every 2-3 years so even if the taste is different with a new company it'll still be close enough. The vast majority of us won't notice a difference. Any company would be buying the recipe, not just the name.

I had to laugh at the Hostess display at publix being completely empty on Friday. I would have loved to see the people buying 10 boxes that morning.

I love PBR. I love Twinkies. Just not at the same time.