• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UAdan

The Official 2012-2013 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread

623 posts in this topic

A legend has taken his final bow. Never again will the number 10 be worn by an Atlanta Braves player. We didn't send him out with the storybook ending he deserved, but baseball will go on.

And the long march begins again...the long march towards that always-elusive World Series Championship that we've longed so dearly for since that memorable 1995 autumn.

So, here's where we discuss all offseason breaking news/trade rumors/innuendo/predictions, et cetera.

Who is definitely back:

*Starting pitchers -

Tim Hudson (whose 9 mil option for 2013 was picked up a few days ago)

Kris Medlen (aw yeaaaaah)

Mike Minor (anchor down)

Paul Maholm (whose option for I think 6.5 (?) mil was picked up a few days ago)

Randall Delgado/Julio Teheran

And in July, Brandon Beachy (RIP)

*Relievers -

Craig Kimbrel (Best Ever)

Jonny Venters

Eric O'Flaherty

Luis Avilan

Cory Gearrin

Cristhian Martinez

*Infielders -

Freddie Freeman (Hug)

Dan Uggla (Struggla)

Andrelton Simmons

Chipper Jo---....oh...... wait :(

Tyler Pastornicky

Martin Prado (the good doctor)

*Outfielders -

Jason Heyward

Prado (?)

*Catcher -

Brian McCann (option picked up for '13 so y'all can cool the Bethancourt for Prez campaigns for one more year)

Who is now a free agent/likely gone/retired:

Miguel Batista (who?)

Chad Durbin (thanks for being surprisingly not horrible...)

Ben Sheets (farewell, Dennis Quaid)

David Ross (free agent, fully expect us to bring him back tho)

Jeff Baker (the strikeout maker)

Lyle Overbay (....well........bye)

Michael Bourn (noooooooooooo, damn you Scott Boras)

Matt Diaz (injury-riddled season, first-class guy but wouldn't surprise me if ballplaying days are over)

Eric Hinske (disappointing season. Thanks for that homer in the 2010 NLDS, never forget)

Reed Johnson (with how he can still hit lefties and his cheap contract, I could totally see us bringing him back)

And....one final time......

chipper-jones-walking-away.jpg?w=320

BREAKING NEWS: BRAVES CLAIM OUTFIELDER OFF WAIVERS

JORDAN SCHAFER :trollface:

^No seriously, we did though.

I'm guessing for depth/bench purposes, though it seems to decrease the likelihood we bring back Reed Johnson.

I hate you right now Dano...I mean I really hate you..

Can you guys think of anyjuan I forgot to list who is coming back for next year?

you know I want a stud....BADLY

Consider this...read from Dave O'Brien and Mark Bowman a few days ago.

When you factor in arbitration upgrades for eligible players, Braves have roughly 25 million dollars available for a centerfielder, and either a LF/3B.

This is going to be a very interesting offseason for sure.

Consider this...read from Dave O'Brien and Mark Bowman a few days ago.

When you factor in arbitration upgrades for eligible players, Braves have roughly 25 million dollars available for a centerfielder, and either a LF/3B.

This is going to be a very interesting offseason for sure.

Oh its going to be fun

Josh Hamilton supposedly wants 175 mil over 7 years. Holy cow.

There goes that fantasy.

My proposal?

Trade for Denard Span (Minnesota needs pitching) and sign BJ Upton to a 4/5 year deal.

I would like Span. Bourn will cost WAY too much. His slumping in the late part of the season is why the Braves were hurting so much. We don't need a big salary guy at leadoff. Maybe a .275 hitter with some wheels.

Bourn is going to ask us for too much money to sign him back. However, we do have some spending cash with Chipper Jones and Derek Lowe's salary coming off the books (we were paying most of DL's salary for letting him go early). I say its time to reinvest the money here and there. We have A LOT of young pitchers so I say we invest back into that while also trying to resign guys like Freeman and Heyward to stick around. How many years does Prado have left on his contract? He will be a bit expensive so we should resign him early enough....

Also what are your alls thoughts on David Wright? I know he is a Met but is a 3B and it is a need. It would depend on how effing greedy he is though....

Also what are your alls thoughts on David Wright? I know he is a Met but is a 3B and it is a need. It would depend on how effing greedy he is though....

I don't think he'll leave New York. That said, he's a good ballplayer and will be valuable wherever he goes (and for however much).

What about Paul Yawnish?

Solid depth. I don't want him going anywhere. One of the best defensive SS in the league.

I agree. His bat was nothing special but he plays some hella good defense.

I would love it if we could get Denard Span or Ben Revere from Minnesota... Or both. Hell. Let's trade Jair Jurrjens and Tommy Hanson for those two today and never look back. That would solve our outfield and leadoff hitter issues while Prado moving to 3B fills that hole.

We offered Bourn a qualifying offer of $13 million... I think that's too pricey so I hope he doesn't take it. I wanted us to be able to keep him, but $10 million sounds way more right than $13, and $10 is pushing it after the way he finished the year.

Span has been at the top of my wish list since last summer. He's a mirror image of Bourn offensively (so he would be a perfect fit for the leadoff spot), he's like 3 years younger, he's EXTREMELY cheap compared to Bourn (only set to make 4.5 mil in '13 and I think like 6 or 7 mil for '14) and he's under team control for at LEAST two years. It would probably cost us one of Teheran/Delgado/Gilmartin and another smaller-name player or two, but I would do it.

If we do trade for a guy like Span then I'd say we definitely go the free agent route for our other corner outfielder. A guy like BJ Upton or Nick Swisher would fit in real nice in LF (I'd prefer Upton...power numbers, would benefit from change of scenery)

A few offseason tidbits on this November night...

*By some miracle, Jon Morosi of Fox Sports says that teams have been inquiring about Jair Jurrjens...I don't know what they're smokin' but if they wanna work out a deal, make it happen.

*Dave O'Brien stealin' my Denard Span thunder....

“But we like the depth that we have, and we might be able to use it to get something that we need. And there’s some teams that have pieces that would be helpful to us.”

One of those teams is Minnesota, which needs pitching and is open to trading center fielder Denard Span, who has a .284 career batting average and .357 on-base percentage in parts of five seasons, and twice totaled 10 triples and 23 or more stolen bases.

Span, 28, is under contract for two more seasons at $4.75 million in 2013 and $6.5 million in 2014, with a $9 million team option for 2015.

^^Also, it wasn't mentioned here, but it should be mentioned that Span has been one of the best defensive centerfielders in the AL for the last few years. Finished second in AL CF defensive UZR, behind only Mike Trout. The guy is such a perfect fit for our needs, it's not even funny.

*Mark Bowman wrote an article on the Braves' homepage in which he lists some free agent targets/potential fits. They include...Michael Bourn (though not likely, obviously), Josh Hamilton (pipe dream), BJ Upton (very likely), Nick Swisher (also likely) and Torii Hunter (not sure what to think of him...)

^^Those guys are obviously all corner outfielders. We could still go the free agent route for CF, too, and get a guy like Angel Pagan or Shane Victorino. But at this point, I still like Span.

My other pipe dream is Chase Headley, but everybody and their brother seems to be interested in him, so I basically see no chance at that happening either.

yeah we're not selling the farm for Chase Headley

What if we could sign Tori Hunter? Does he prefer the AL? Would we have the cash to do this?

Lineup:

Pagan CF

Prado 3B

Heyward RF

Freeman 1B

Hunter LF

McCann/Ross C

Ugla 2B

Simmons SS

P

Span has been at the top of my wish list since last summer. He's a mirror image of Bourn offensively (so he would be a perfect fit for the leadoff spot), he's like 3 years younger, he's EXTREMELY cheap compared to Bourn (only set to make 4.5 mil in '13 and I think like 6 or 7 mil for '14) and he's under team control for at LEAST two years. It would probably cost us one of Teheran/Delgado/Gilmartin and another smaller-name player or two, but I would do it.

If we do trade for a guy like Span then I'd say we definitely go the free agent route for our other corner outfielder. A guy like BJ Upton or Nick Swisher would fit in real nice in LF (I'd prefer Upton...power numbers, would benefit from change of scenery)

Yeah, Span isn't as fast as Bourn but in the leadoff role is is definitely capable of 30+ SB's a year and he would be a great fit to replace a way-too-expensive Bourne. He's worth trading a pitcher or two for sure.

If we grabbed Span and Angel Pagan, who would be another cheaper alternative, we'd have another solid defensive OF and plenty of speed, but that might weaken us too much offensively as Heyward, Freeman, Uggly Uggla, and McCann would be our only mashers. I definitely wouldn't mind BJ Upton over Pagan though if we can get him for a reasonable price. He's got 30/30 talent and we've seen him hit for a respectable batting average before. If he reached his full potential we've have a stacked team next year...

What if we could sign Tori Hunter? Does he prefer the AL? Would we have the cash to do this?

Lineup:

Pagan CF

Prado 3B

Heyward RF

Freeman 1B

Hunter LF

McCann/Ross C

Ugla 2B

Simmons SS

P

Torii Hunter has made $18,000,000+ in each of the last few seasons... I know he doesn't expect that kind of money at age 36 but he might still be a little too expensive for us... He's massively underrated for what he has consistently done his entire career though.

No to Torii Hunter. Yes to Span and BJ Upton.

Line up:

Span - CF

Prado - 3B

Heyward - RF

Freeman - 1B

Upton - LF

McCann - C

Struggla - 2B

Simmons - SS

- P

• Booger
      Looks like someone popped him in the snout a few times
    • Stefanozz
      First of all good game ARK fans.  Every year this game drives me crazy.  This years Stupid for us: 1. Kirk muffing a punt first thing handing ARK 7.  He also uncharacteristically dropped a few passes. 2. A combination of bad play calling and QB inadequacy for 3 quarters.   3. Our secondary was bad bad bad.  ARK should have throw the ball to #4 over and over and over, you guys would have had 60 points.  Harvey (#1) was having a horrible game covering him. The great stuff was the goal line stands by our D, and the ability for our defense to come out after that 10 minute drive and still not break.  I truly though we were done after that long drive.(even though we held at the goal line.)  I figured our defense would be like butter the rest of the night but they came out and finished the game.. 60 minutes  wow. 2014 Sugar Bowl Trevor Knight,  come out come out wherever you are?!?!?
    • bbqit
      Funny that the best uscw has done in a long time was under O
    • JoeGator
      Can you imagine if UF played a complete game?    
    • HFC Derek Mason
      Lsu is going to offer Petrino. Just have a feeling. 
  • Popular Contributors

1. 1
      JoeGator
      JoeGator
    2. 2
      PuddingTime
      PuddingTime
    3. 3
      bbqit
      bbqit
    4. 4
      RammaJamma