• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Benny

Which SEC Teams are Have a Shot at the Final Four?

39 posts in this topic

Which SEC Teams are Have a Shot at the Final Four?

The SEC has become one of the top division in collegiate basketball. While the conference is not as strong as the ACC or the Big East, the SEC still regularly sends teams to the later rounds of the NCAA tournament. This season, SEC coaches are expecting the conference to send six, seven or even eight teams to the NCAA tournament, but is this estimate accurate? Here are the SEC teams that are likely to make it to the NCAA tournament and the Final Four in 2013:

Sure Bets

Since the arrival of John Calipari, Kentucky has been the dominant force in the SEC and one of the top teams in collegiate basketball. Under his guidance, Kentucky has been to three Elite Eights, two Final Fours and won the tournament last season; many are predicting that his team should already begin checking out carry-on luggage size limits to prepare for a trip to the Final Four in Atlanta.

Florida has not made it back to the Final Four since their back-to-back tournament championships in the 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 seasons. Recent seasons, however, have been successful, and some are predicting that Florida will do well in the upcoming tournament.

Finally, Missouri, a newcomer to the SEC, has made it to the NCAA tournament each of the past four seasons, and most are expecting them to return.

Possibilities

Beyond the top three squads, a large number of SEC teams have the talent necessary to make it to the tournament. Alabama has been a strong team in recent years, but the departure of two seniors makes greatly reduces their chances; top-rated recruit Devonta Pollard will have to perform exceedingly well before the Crimson Tide can begin to worry about united airlines baggage fees.

Likewise, Arkansas will need big performances out of new players to make it to the tournament, but they certain have enough talent.

Vanderbilt has been a strong contender in the SEC, but the loss of five important players reduces their chances greatly. Still, Vanderbilt's recent history would indicate that the Commodores are likely to exceed expectations once again.

Outside of the SEC's top three teams, Tennessee seems to be best poised to return to the tournament. Following a fairly successful season, Tennessee has only added to its talent pool and depth.

Between Kentucky, Florida and Missouri, the SEC has at least three teams that have a reasonable shot at making the Final Four. It is important to bear in mind the fact that the SEC and NCAA tournaments are often unpredictable, and any team that slips its way into the tournament has chance to surprise everyone.

no mention of South Carolina, this list is a joke

:trollface:

Kentucky /thread.

(Let 'em enjoy this one guys. They are about to be irrelevant in less than a month...)

:trollface:

Irrelevant is probable.

This years team will probably have a record similar to 2010-11 team. Florida will again compete against us to win the SEC. Its hard to tell about mizzous new team but Donovan seems to be a good tourny coach and has the talent and experience to get to the final four. I wouldn't be surprised if Florida ends up with the best record in the sec. Im skeptical about our class this year.

Irrelevant is probable.

This years team will probably have a record similar to 2010-11 team. Florida will again compete against us to win the SEC. Its hard to tell about mizzous new team but Donovan seems to be a good tourny coach and has the talent and experience to get to the final four. I wouldn't be surprised if Florida ends up with the best record in the sec. Im skeptical about our class this year.

2013/14 is when both of us will be true heavyweights.

If you take that ONE team will make it to the FF....I give percentages like this:

UK - 70%

UF - 20%

Mizzou - 8%

Bama - 1%

The rest - 1% (total)

Oh and BTW....everyone better get us in 2013, cause 2014 it ain't gunna happen. Not even ONCE.

Holla!

SC - 99% - 98.99%

Wouldn't be surprised if Martin one day got USC there

Gators win title with Mizzou and Wildcats fight for #2. All three make tourney along with Alabama and Arkie's.

South Carolina has a shot at the final four

In women's basketball

In a few years

No SEC teams this year.But the league as a whole will be more competitive.

No SEC teams this year.But the league as a whole will be more competitive.

You must of forgotten that Kentucky is in the sec. :lol:

You must of forgotten that Kentucky is in the sec. :lol:

I don't think Kentucky will be as stacked this year,It's tough to make the final four.I'm not saying ya'll will be bad,just not as potent as some previous years.But Kentucky will still be the most talented in the SEC.No offense or slight intended.

Who knows. I think Florida has a pretty legit shot at making the Final Four this year truth be told.

Algorithm to Detect lebron james and Compare Phrases

One method of comparing style is to look for similar phrases. I need to also be able to find "fishing and even skiing or hiking" though. Ideally I would also find "angling, hiking and skiing" but because they are non-English texts (Koine Greek), synonyms are harder to allow for and this aspect is not vital.

What is the best way to (1) go about detecting these sorts of phrases and then (2) searching for them in a way that is not overly rigid in other texts (so as to find "fishing and even skiing or nba playoffs hiking")?

Take all your texts, and build a list of the words. Easy way : take all the words. Let's say you have V words in your vocabulary.

For each text, build an adjacency matrix A, which size is V*V. The row A(i) states how close the words in your vocabulary are to nba scores the i-th word V(i). You'd prefer a small vocabulary!

Technical details :

For the vocabulary, you have several possibilities to get a good vocabulary. Unfortunately, I can't remember the names. One of them consists of deleting words that are present often and everywhere. On the contrary, you should keep rare words that are present in few texts. However, there is no use in conserving words present exactly in one text.

For the adjacency matrix, the adjacency is measured is done by counting how far the words you are considering are (couting the number of words separating them). For example, let's use your very text =)

One method of comparing style is to look for similar phrases. I need to also be able to find "fishing and even skiing or hiking" though. Ideally I would also find "angling, hiking and skiing" but because they are non-English texts (Koine Greek), synonyms are harder to allow for and this aspect is not vital.

These are entirely made up values :

Beware of premature optimisation in the matching algorithm. check if a simple "proximity" test gives good-enough results for dataset you know the answer for, and if not, tweak it until it does). In many cases you will find out that a highly optimised solution won't give results considerably different than your first rough attempt.

Use some sort of self-learning algorithm. This way you could feed the AI a number of texts that can make it smarter. Taking inspiration from your example: nba playoffs before trying to compare two target texts, I would feed a text on outdoor life. This way the AI would most probably learn by itself that angling is a very close match for fishing.

As a self-learning AI, I would use (at least for a start) a neural network. There is an easy and fully working example (in python) that can be found here and that targets precisely "data mining".

12 paragraphs and you don't make one bit of damn sense

WHo's the asshole that bumped a thread nearly a year old?

WHo's the asshole that bumped a thread nearly a year old?

It was a spammer (I deleted lots of spam this AM) which UADan responded to. If UADan had not responded it would have gone back to the point prior to the spammer posting with no new posts.

Well...just FYI....2013 is the year of the Wildcat. #9. 40-0. Come get it.

Here go the UK fans...

... Sounds an aweful like last summer/fall.

Here go the UK fans...

and s--t talk is just beginning.

I was gonna add Arkansas into the final four mix until Powell and Young declared. That really set ya'll back

Here go the UK fans...

What is your prediction for Kentucky then? We weren't predicting a title last year. I personally said elite 8.

Hmmm.I ain't never been close to correct before.

and s--t talk is just beginning.

I was gonna add Arkansas into the final four mix until Powell and Young declared. That really set ya'll back

Yeah me to. Had shades of early 90s games vs UK. But now? We will be lucky to get to .500 this year I am afraid. And that will allow all the? Mizzou fans to say "told you Anderson can't win on the road."