• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hog_heaven

Upcoming playoffs.... What happens when?

15 posts in this topic

(Just because I am bored at work and want to see what more educated college football fans can come up with since my coworkers are looking at me like I am crazy)

Take the four team playoff format and put it into effect this season... (hypothetically) And at the end of the regular season in the SEC you have this...

Alabama 11-1 (loses to Ark)

Arkansas 11-1 (loses to LSU)

LSU 11-1 (loses to Bama)

Georgia 10-2 (loses to SC and FL)

USCe 10-2 (loses to Ark and LSU)

So you have the final BCS rankings deciding the west (For this fun discussion we will say it is Bama since they lost earlier in the season, then beat LSU later in the season that jumps Ark's ranking after losing to LSU) vs USCe (because of the tiebreaker for direct victory over UGA).

Now, say USCe wins the SEC Championship game vs Bama.

So you would have the final polls trying to shuffle around between: (alphabetical order)

Alabama 11-2 (Lost to Ark and too SC in the SEC CG)

Arkansas 11-1 (Lost to LSU but didn't make the SEC CG because of tie breakers)

LSU 11-1 (Lost to Bama but didn't make the SEC CG because of tie breakers)

Oklahoma 11-1 (lost to Texas, with no conference CG)

Oregon 12-1 (Undefeated during the regular season but losing to USCw in the PAC-12 CG)

USCe 11-2 (who lost twice during the regular season to LSU and Ark but are the SEC Champs by beating Bama)

USCw 12-1 (Losing to Oregon during the regular season but beating Oregon in the PAC-12 CG)

Wisconsin 12-1 (losing to Mich St during the regular season but winning the BIG-10 CG)

Even if you automatically eliminated the CG losers... That takes Bama, and Oregon out of the equation. So you are still left with six teams for the four spots:

Ark

LSU

OU

USCe

USCw

Wisconsin

Four team playoff doesn't solve this... And sadly what would probably happen is they would throw in the conference champions only (OU, USCe, USCw, and Wisconsin) so they don't have to deal with the dominance of the SEC.

But, I want to know whatcha got for this scenario SECTalk?

(Just because I am bored at work and want to see what more educated college football fans can come up with since my coworkers are looking at me like I am crazy)

Take the four team playoff format and put it into effect this season... (hypothetically) And at the end of the regular season in the SEC you have this...

LSU 11-1 (loses to Bama)

So you have the final BCS rankings deciding the west (For this fun discussion we will say it is Bama since they lost earlier in the season, then beat LSU later in the season that jumps Ark's ranking after losing to LSU) vs USCe (because of the tiebreaker for direct victory over UGA).

So you would have the final polls trying to shuffle around between: (alphabetical order)

Oregon 12-1 (Undefeated during the regular season but losing to USCw in the PAC-12 CG)

USCe 11-2 (who lost twice during the regular season to LSU and Ark but are the SEC Champs by beating Bama)

USCw 12-1 (Losing to Oregon during the regular season but beating Oregon in the PAC-12 CG)

Wisconsin 12-1 (losing to Mich St during the regular season but winning the BIG-10 CG)

Even if you automatically eliminated the CG losers... That takes Bama, and Oregon out of the equation. So you are still left with six teams for the four spots:

Ark

LSU

OU

USCe

USCw

Wisconsin

Four team playoff doesn't solve this... And sadly what would probably happen is they would throw in the conference champions only (OU, USCe, USCw, and Wisconsin) so they don't have to deal with the dominance of the SEC.

I think that in this scenario it would go to LSU, OU, USCw, and Wisconsin. I don't think that you would be able to send USCe to the four team playoff with 2 losses and that many 1 loss teams. I think you would have to include all of the conference champions with 1 loss and then have LSU in there. It was between LSU and Arkansas for me but LSU won the head to head so I gave it to them. However I don't think there is going to be this many teams with 1 loss seasons and I ceretainly don't think Arkansas will be 1 loss.

Honestly, they need to go to an 8 playoff team system.

We've established that there has to be a playoff, how about one that isn't half assed.

Say

Georgia is 13-0

Michigan is 12-1(loss to 9-2 Wisconsin)

USC is 12-1(Loss to 9-2 Stanford)

Texas is 11-1(Loss to 9-2 Oklahoma)

Florida is 11-1(Loss to 13-0 UGA)

Should Florida be left out because they lost to the best team just because that other team is already there or their conference is already represented?

In that situation, Florida has the best loss and similar records to the other teams.

13-0 Georgia? Does your elevator run all the way to the top?

Honestly, they need to go to an 8 playoff team system.

We've established that there has to be a playoff, how about one that isn't half assed.

Say

Georgia is 13-0

Michigan is 12-1(loss to 9-2 Wisconsin)

USC is 12-1(Loss to 9-2 Stanford)

Texas is 11-1(Loss to 9-2 Oklahoma)

Florida is 11-1(Loss to 13-0 UGA)

Should Florida be left out because they lost to the best team just because that other team is already there or their conference is already represented?

In that situation, Florida has the best loss and similar records to the other teams.

Your scenario with Georgia and Florida is exactly the same as Bama and LSU last year. I also think that the same thing that happened last year would happen again. I think in that scenario you would have to leave off Texas. I think that we will go to an 8 team playoff before this current 4 team playoff contract is up.

13-0 Georgia? Does your elevator run all the way to the top?

Are you really going to argue about fictional future records?

Just be glad I complemented Flawda, I don't think there is a chance in hell they go 11-1 in the near future.

How can arky lsu and bama be 11-1 when they play each other?

LSU loses to Arkansas, Arkansas loses to Alabama, Alabama loses to LSU?

r u serios?

202526-dumb-rage-face.jpg

LSU 11-1 (loses to Bama)

Ark

LSU

OU

USCe

USCw

Wisconsin

That's an interesting scenario.... and the perfect storm to cock block the SEC... you certainly put a lot of thought into it. Not at all out of the realm of possibility.

gene stallings has it right. win your games and the nc will take care of itself. damn second chance generation is going to turn college football into we don't keep score soccer. as it is this year and previous years every weekend of college football is like the first weekend of the basketball tourny. how much more fun can you get for 14 weeks?

I think that in this scenario it would go to LSU, OU, USCw, and Wisconsin. I don't think that you would be able to send USCe to the four team playoff with 2 losses and that many 1 loss teams. I think you would have to include all of the conference champions with 1 loss and then have LSU in there. It was between LSU and Arkansas for me but LSU won the head to head so I gave it to them. However I don't think there is going to be this many teams with 1 loss seasons and I ceretainly don't think Arkansas will be 1 loss.

This was just an example of what could happen? I am not saying Arkansas will only have 1 loss. Honestly, this is what I predicted for them this year, but that has nothing to do with this thread. It is just a hypothetical situation.

r u serios?

LSU loses to Arkansas, Arkansas loses to Alabama, Alabama loses to LSU?

202526-dumb-rage-face.jpg

For some reason my quick once-over confused me, making me think of 4 instead of 3 teams, implying at least one team with two losses. Brain fart.

I think they'd probably take SC in that scenario, just to show that they really are putting an emphasis on winning your conference. It would be a huge clusterlanekiffin.gif in that scenario, but I'm not sure the SEC could really argue for a 2nd team. The only decent case would be to leave oklahoma out and put in a 2nd SEC team. I don't think the big 12 will be very good, and they don't have a CCG. But I don't see them doing that because lots of people still feel like they screwed ok. st. last season, so they aren't going to follow that up by leaving out a 1 loss conference champion again.

And if we wait to apply it when the playoff takes effect the big 12 will probably have a CCG by then so it won't matter.

• Similar Content

• ForwardRebels
      By ForwardRebels
      It has begun again; that time in the season when a large part of the LSUx fanbase calls for Les Miles to be fired. This time, YouTube poster LSU DAD is leading the charge.

• PuddingTime
      By PuddingTime
      Assistant here under John Cohen and then followed him to Mississippi State.
    • DjCrenshaw
      By DjCrenshaw
      http://bustedcoverage.com/2016/04/25/lane-kiffin-tinder-ashley-spry-twitter-auburn-direct-messages/
    • cocky4ever
      Most people here probably think I love Trump but actually I just think he is the only chance we have to get someone in the office who will steer us off of this unsustainable path. Hillary has supported most attacks on the middle class. She loves NAFTA and supported the TPP. And as Trump pointed out(which I'm amazed hasn't gotten more attention) the only thing that seems good about the past 8 years is actually just an illusion. Once the fed stops unjustifiably propping up the stock market we'll be right back where we started when Obama walked into office, only with a s--t ton more debt. And Hillary wants to carry out the same types of policies. So we have someone who supports horrible policies, is incredibly corrupt, and will assuredly s--t all over the constitution with her Supreme Court nominations.    Trump may may or may not do much better, but he almost certainly couldn't do worse. 
    • jacobp
      As is the Razorback Foundation.   there are more than two, but not money. Any funds directed toward the big three sports from the university are always sent back at the end of the year, usually with an extra $2-3 million attached   
    • TheRealBrave
      UGA has 0 talent at OL. True freshman QB. Possession WR's that cannot catch. Kickers cannot make middle-school level kicks. Half of our secondary are better at being matadors than corners
    • bobbyb0322
      No. Gary Johnson is a pretty successful business man in his own right. I mean, he didn't have daddy's millions to build his business from so he didn't get quite to that level that Trump did having everything given to him.
    • bbqit
  • Popular Contributors

1. 1
      bbqit
      bbqit
    2. 2
      foxflyer5
      foxflyer5
    3. 3
      razorhead
      razorhead
    4. 4