• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dcbl

Vince Dooley says losing Isaiah Crowell ‘best thing to happen’ for Bulldogs

41 posts in this topic

http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blog/2012/07/09/vince-dooley-says-losing-isaiah-crowell-best-thing-to-happen-for-bulldogs/

“I don’t want to put any pressure on them, but losing that guy may have been the best thing to happen to them,” said Dooley, who coached the Bulldogs to six SEC championships and one national title in 25 seasons. “It was a bad-apple type thing, if you ask me.”

“Bad apple” was the second term Dooley used to describe Crowell’s effect on the team. The first was more effective but he asked me not to use it.

Dooley said Crowell undoubtedly is a talented football player and probably was the Bulldogs’ best option at tailback. But the negative effects as far as being a troublemaker and a distraction far out-weighed any skills he brought to the field, Dooley said.

Nice to hear something like that coming from Vince, a guy that would know. But I'm dying to know what his 1st choice of words was... Thug?

Now that Crowell is gone, “That kind of thing will unite a team many times,” Dooley said. “Historically when things like this have happened in the past, they tend to have a unifying effect on teams. They go on to have an even better season than they were predicted to have.”

More of what I want to hear. Why didn't Vince run for office again? He would have been the 2nd democrat I would have voted for in my life. Good 'ole Zig Zag Zell being the 1st.

I DID vote against Zell for governor, which I regret, but for him for Senate. Then I moved to AL...

Sad but true. The fact that there were 4 underclassmen with Crowell that night scares me. Players have enough problems staying outta trouble without Crowell instigating it. I did hear he was getting his act together on the field and in the gym which is great, unfortuneatly he neglected to do that for his life. LIke the saying goes, "one bad apple spoils the bunch." Sad this happened to such a talented back but glad to have one less negative distraction on campus.

Here's an interesting nugget: the last 3 times Alabama State enrolled a high profile transfer from an SEC school, the original school went on to win a national championship the following season.

Here's an interesting nugget: the last 3 times Alabama State enrolled a high profile transfer from an SEC school, the original school went on to win a national championship the following season.

That's exactly what I like to hear

Addition by subtraction. But the concern for me if I was a UGA fan would the the recent history with high profile RB coming from Georgia. The last stud running back that panned out for UGA was Knowshon and he was from NJ.

Time and time again RBs from the state of Georgia heading to UGA have had either many legal problems or just flat out under performed.

Addition by subtraction. But the concern for me if I was a UGA fan would the the recent history with high profile RB coming from Georgia. The last stud running back that panned out for UGA was Knowshon and he was from NJ.

Time and time again RBs from the state of Georgia heading to UGA have had either many legal problems or just flat out under performed.

Well, I don't know if I'd go that far. Crowell didn't pan out for sure, and neither did Washaun Ealey or Caleb King. But Thomas Brown, Danny Ware and Kregg Lumpkin were all very good backs for us, and all play in the NFL now. All of them were home grown here in Georgia. Whether there is a systematic problem in Georgia with some of these kids now, who can say? Could just be luck of the draw. It's not like we were the only school recruiting any of those kids, everyone else did too.

I know I'll get mocked for saying this - but I maintain that a lot of our troubles are because we have a stricter drug policy than other schools, we test more than other schools, and the UGA police get a hard-on every time they see a football player. At some other places in the SEC, a lot of stuff our guys get picked up for would simply result in a call to the head caoch. Here, they're booked. Doesn't matter if it's something as trivial as "emerging from an alley," they're going to have the book thrown at them and be tarred and feathered by the Atlanta fishrag and the anti-athletics Red and Black newspaper.

I think Marshall has a good head on his shoulders, of course the only thing I have to go by is his GPA and talk that I've heard.

I think Marshall has a good head on his shoulders, of course the only thing I have to go by is his GPA and talk that I've heard.

He's from North Carolina though.

I know I'll get mocked for saying this - but I maintain that a lot of our troubles are because we have a stricter drug policy than other schools, we test more than other schools, and the UGA police get a hard-on every time they see a football player. At some other places in the SEC, a lot of stuff our guys get picked up for would simply result in a call to the head caoch. Here, they're booked. Doesn't matter if it's something as trivial as "emerging from an alley," they're going to have the book thrown at them and be tarred and feathered by the Atlanta fishrag and the anti-athletics Red and Black newspaper.

As you should be.

Really the only schools who are super lenient with their athletes (or so it seems) are the Alabama and Mississippi schools.

As you should be.

Really the only schools who are super lenient with their athletes (or so it seems) are the Alabama and Mississippi schools.

Negative. Very few schools nationwide enforce testing the way Michael Adams has set it up to work. Only 2 SEC schools enforce mandatory suspensions for first-time offenders (UGA and Kentucky).

SEC

Alabama: (1) none; (2) 15 percent of games; (3) one year; (4) dismissal.

Arkansas: (1) none; (2) 10 percent of games; (3) 50 percent of games; (4) dismissal.

Auburn: (1) none; (2) 50 percent of games; (3) dismissal.

Florida: For marijuana/synthetic marijuana: (1) none; (2) 10 percent of games; (3) 20 percent of games; (4) dismissal. For all other drugs: (1) 50 percent of games; (2) dismissal.

Georgia: (1) 10 percent of games; (2) 50 percent of games; (3) dismissal.

Kentucky: (1) 10 percent of games; (2) 50 percent of games; (3) dismissal.

LSU: (1) none; (2) "up to 15 percent of games;" (3) one year.

Ole Miss: (1) none; (2) none; (3) three games.

Mississippi State: (1) none; (2) 50 percent of games; (3) one year; (4) dismissal.

South Carolina: (1) none; (2) 25 percent of games; (3) dismissal.

Tennessee: (1) none; (2) 10 percent of games; (3) dismissal.

Texas A&M: (1) none; (2) "possible suspension;" (3) possible dismissal.

Negative. Very few schools nationwide enforce testing the way Michael Adams has set it up to work. Only 2 SEC schools enforce mandatory suspensions for first-time offenders (UGA and Kentucky).

SEC

Alabama: (1) none; (2) 15 percent of games; (3) one year; (4) dismissal.

Arkansas: (1) none; (2) 10 percent of games; (3) 50 percent of games; (4) dismissal.

Auburn: (1) none; (2) 50 percent of games; (3) dismissal.

Florida: For marijuana/synthetic marijuana: (1) none; (2) 10 percent of games; (3) 20 percent of games; (4) dismissal. For all other drugs: (1) 50 percent of games; (2) dismissal.

Georgia: (1) 10 percent of games; (2) 50 percent of games; (3) dismissal.

Kentucky: (1) 10 percent of games; (2) 50 percent of games; (3) dismissal.

LSU: (1) none; (2) "up to 15 percent of games;" (3) one year.

Ole Miss: (1) none; (2) none; (3) three games.

Mississippi State: (1) none; (2) 50 percent of games; (3) one year; (4) dismissal.

South Carolina: (1) none; (2) 25 percent of games; (3) dismissal.

Tennessee: (1) none; (2) 10 percent of games; (3) dismissal.

Texas A&M: (1) none; (2) "possible suspension;" (3) possible dismissal.

Where are Vandy and Mizzou on that list?

Where are Vandy and Mizzou on that list?

Vandy is private and not subject to public records requests. Not sure about Mizzou.

Looking a the UGA off the field issues very few are from smoking pot. How does the drug enforcement policy cause theft, dui, beating up a chick or flunking out of school? S

Looking a the UGA off the field issues very few are from smoking pot. How does the drug enforcement policy cause theft, dui, beating up a chick or flunking out of school? S

Why don't you ever want to talk about ON the field issues? Too painful?

Now that Crowell is gone, “That kind of thing will unite a team many times,” Dooley said. “Historically when things like this have happened in the past, they tend to have a unifying effect on teams. They go on to have an even better season than they were predicted to have.”

More of what I want to hear. Why didn't Vince run for office again? He would have been the 2nd democrat I would have voted for in my life. Good 'ole Zig Zag Zell being the 1st.

I DID vote against Zell for governor, which I regret, but for him for Senate. Then I moved to AL...

I read Zell Miller's book years ago, and I liked it.

7nTnr.png

I think that the NCAA should make a set number of suspensions and dismissal for all student athletes. All schools must follow it but they could make it a longer suspension or more severe if thats what the school wants. http://www.columbiam...created-equally

I completely agree. Unfortunately our University President is a giant douchebag, and even if the NCAA set guidelines for suspensions and dismissals, Mike Adams would still set our rules higher, because he's a pompous ass.

Tell you what. When you want to have a real discussion, come on back. Otherwise, take your trolling ass elsewhere.

I completely agree. Unfortunately our University President is a giant douchebag, and even if the NCAA set guidelines for suspensions and dismissals, Mike Adams would still set our rules higher, because he's a pompous ass.

*Checks first to make sure no Gamecock is on "double-secret-Stephen-Garcia-probation*, Yes the NCAA should set the guidelines

Oh look, it's this guy again. Your team should be busy committing robberies at gun point, or even better pummeling one cop into a coma at a bar. Or maybe Tennessee is ready to give the delightful and outstanding citizen Janzen Jackson his 17th chance.

Oh look, it's this guy again. Your team should be busy committing robberies at gun point, or even better pummeling one cop into a coma at a bar. Or maybe Tennessee is ready to give the delightful and outstanding citizen Janzen Jackson his 17th chance.

They're too busy recruiting players that were convicted of raping their cousins with plunger sticks.

They're too busy recruiting players that were convicted of raping their cousins with plunger sticks.

under age cousins**

1) Wrong

2) Cops are always nabbing UGA players on stupid s--t (i.e. emerging from an alley on a scooter). Take these out of the equation and the remaining off the field issues are about on par with or better than other schools.

3) I'm sure you're gonna come back with some ill-informed response, so I've said my bit.