Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JDawg

Football Database General Discussion

181 posts in this topic

We will keep all the general discussion in here.

Technical stuff, beta level testing, feedback etc.

ETA: I made didn't know if we would incorporate this to encompass more sports down the road... so let's limit this thread to football.

ETA: I made didn't know if we would incorporate this to encompass more sports down the road... so let's limit this thread to football.

Yeah, we need to limit this to football. Just off the top of my head, if we do basketball or baseball, there would be significant methodology differences, primarily due to a lack of data input....

Fair enough. Once we get more folks to help with this, nova and I will try to thoroughly show everyone what we've done and Benny can explain how we want to integrate that into the SECTalk platform.

Hey @Benny, what's the deal where it will let you edit some existing prospects and not others? There's no ryme or reason to it that I can see. Blue dot by the name just means you can't edit..

Hey @Benny, what's the deal where it will let you edit some existing prospects and not others? There's no ryme or reason to it that I can see. Blue dot by the name just means you can't edit..

From what I've noticed it only allows you to edit prospects you entered. Which might suck if, say, I had entered in all the prospects and wasn't available when some major edits needed to be made.

Also, where do we access the database off of the main portal? I've only been able to access it via the link in the open forum thread.

From what I've noticed it only allows you to edit prospects you entered. Which might suck if, say, I had entered in all the prospects and wasn't available when some major edits needed to be made.

You're right, it is that. Then what do the blue dots I'm seeing mean?

The blue dots just mean if you've "read" that prospect or not, just like on the forums. Of course we don't need read markers so I'll remove that.

If you guys can give me a list of fields that need to be entered, I'll put em in today. I also need a list of fields that we want to show to the end user on the commitment list page as well as the player's page. I'm also going to put in a upload field so we can upload pics.

I parsed through some of ESPNs recruiting stuff. It seems as if their data is more up to date that what I remember. They had plenty of offers listed for folks I didn't think they would have data on. So, as of now, I say we start deliberating morphing the ESPN data into our formula. @@nova.... what do you think we should do?

I will put a big WTF on ESPN's judgement..... they've got Ryan Buchanon listed as the #2 player from MS behind Tony Conner.... what a damn joke.

I parsed through some of ESPNs recruiting stuff. It seems as if their data is more up to date that what I remember. They had plenty of offers listed for folks I didn't think they would have data on. So, as of now, I say we start deliberating morphing the ESPN data into our formula. @@nova.... what do you think we should do?

I don't think it will hurt to add it by the time it's averaged with the other 3....

@@Benny I keep getting an Error! User doesn't exist while trying to invite FCN... think you can get him in here?

I don't think it will hurt to add it by the time it's averaged with the other 3....

Alright I'll make the necessary changes to the MSU spreadsheet and see what it looks like.

Remove the ! from his name and try to invite him. I seem to remember that being an issue before.

Damn exclamation points, always causing trouble, trying to get attention :D

@@Benny.... I've augmented the formula to include ESPN now.... make the changes to the database, bossman.

So what would you guys want the page that lists all the commits for a team to look like?

Also I changed the name of records in this database from "prospects" to "commitments."

ETA I mean this page: Mississippi State Bulldogs

I think simpler would be better. Name - Position- Height - Weight - School and Location - SECT Rating

Then when you click on the name, the next page brings up all the details like the info that goes into the SECT rating, bio, etc etc...

Taking a lot of pointers from how 247 has theirs set up..

I'll be updating it throughout the day.

http://www.sectalk.com/recruiting/football/2013/index.html/_/mississippi-state-bulldogs/

For now, the SECTalk rating box is just a text input box, it has to be an integer 0 and 5, inclusive. But when we get the formula and all that worked out, that field won't be available to edit.

Once we get FCN!Dawg added, we will have 7 folks to input data.... so each of us that volunteered will be responsible for 2 teams. So, here it is.

@@Brah - Alabama & Arkansas

@@HFS - Auburn & Florida

@J-Dawg - Georgia & Kentucky

@@nova - LSU & Miss State

@!dawg - Mizzou & Ole Miss

@@TrueGCFan - Carolina & Tennessee

@@Benny - TAMU & Vandy

That should be an easy load until we have true representation for each team. Be honest and thorough for teams that aren't your team. Benny, I'll handle your 2 if all the technical work keeps you too busy.

Taking a lot of pointers from how 247 has theirs set up..

I'll be updating it throughout the day.

Mississippi State Bulldogs

For now, the SECTalk rating box is just a text input box, it has to be an integer 0 and 5, inclusive. But when we get the formula and all that worked out, that field won't be available to edit.

Add Commitment box is gone.... to bother you aGAIN! I've got to get some real work done.... I'll drop by again this afternoon.

Refresh it and check it out @@nova @@HFS @@Brah @J-Dawg @!dawg @@TrueGCFan

Still trying to figure out the best way to do the offer list. Maybe have it say like "8 offers" and when you hover over it, it lists the offers.

I'll dig into all of this tonight guys. Expect some PM's from me with questions.

• zartan
      It's funny black guy acts like a thug, carries a gun, gets killed by law enforcement, you smile but somehow you are all gonna be a senior citizen version of Rambo when confronted by the authorities  
    • zartan
      I dunno you tell us im sure that is your search criteria on Tinder
    • zartan
      I think the simplest indicator is the popular vote, which you lost by 3 million  how come Hillary actually paid a price for calling people deplorables, but nothing happens to Trump for anything he says? because conservatives are phony amoral hypocrites
    • WDavE
      But for the most part we're better armed....
    • smokeyone
      Zartan is slowly moving to the right end of the spectrum, he just enjoys the troll life
  • Popular Contributors

1. 1
      smokeyone
      smokeyone
    2. 2
      bbqit
      bbqit
    3. 3
      possumslayer
      possumslayer
    4. 4
      cocky4ever