• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ForwardRebels

Mississippi Native and renowned actor Morgan Freeman announces he is a Freethinker

93 posts in this topic

from a recent interview: http://news.yahoo.com/morgan-freeman-god-aliens-dark-knight-182110723.html

"We asked the Oscar winner, 75, his thoughts on that and other questions upcoming shows will address, including, "Did We Invent God?" and "Can We Eliminate Evil?" We also asked about a certain evil eliminator for whom he plays inventor-in-chief in "The Dark Knight Rises." He surprised us by answering very directly when asked if his character survives the upcoming film.

Q: You're asked to do projects like "Through the Wormhole" because have such an authoritative presence. Is that something you aspired to as a young actor?

A: Oh heavens no. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. When I was a young actor I just set out to get work. Like the rest of us.

Q: What drew you to answering life's big questions?

A: I think I just fall into a huge pot of people who are fascinated with what's out there. I used to read a lot of science fiction... particularly that of Isaac Asimov and Robert A. Heinlein and some other very interesting people, and they came up with thoughts about what's possible on Earth.

Q: I was hoping to ask for your personal answers to some of the questions raised in upcoming episodes. The season premiere asks, "Is there a superior race?" I'm not sure if that refers to an alien race or races on Earth.

A: We discuss the idea of a superior race coming here. Professor Michio Kaku has an interesting discussion on it. Intelligence apparently requires an enormous amount of protein, which is why we eat meat instead of being vegetarians. We have this enormous brain capacity.

Suppose a superior race did come from outer space and land here. It would need a food supply because if they were superior, they would have an even larger brain than we do. So we might - might - qualify as sustenance.

Q: Do you think that meat-eating humans are smarter than vegetarian humans?

A: Ehhh. You don't want to get me in trouble here. ... I don't know. The question is evolutionary. Whoever is a vegetarian today, they didn't evolve as vegetarians. They became vegetarians.

Q: Another question from the show: Can we eliminate evil?

A: No. You cannot. Because if you eliminate evil you'll also eliminate good.

Q: What is evil?

A: Evil is the opposite of good. Like up is the opposite of down, left is the opposite of right. You only have one because you have the other.

Q: You don't play a lot of villains, but do you think there are villains? Because we always hear that villains don't think that they're villains?

A: I think that there is balance in the universe. And these questions are the questions of balance.

Q: This next question may be the hardest, and I'm especially curious about your answer because you've played God, and had to guess how God would act...

A: Well, I need to play the devil now, to balance it out.

Q: Did we invent God?

A: Yes.

Q: So there isn't a God up in the sky somewhere. We came up with God ourselves?

A: Well, here's a scientific question: Has anybody ever seen hard evidence? What we get is theories from our earlier prophets. Now, people who think that God invented us think that the Earth can't be more than 6,000 years old. So I guess it's a question of belief. My belief system doesn't support a creator as such, as we can call God, who created us in His/Her/Its image.

Q: Would you consider yourself an atheist, or agnostic?

A: It's a hard question because as I said at the start, I think we invented God. So if I believe in God, and I do, it's because I think I'm God.

Q: Of the questions you ask on the show, which one was the closest to you? What did you think about the most?

A: Travel. The idea of travel. That incorporates two or three different questions. One is how long can we live? Is it possible for us to extend our lifespan into, I don't know, not infinity, but let's say a thousand years? If we could, the idea of space travel would become much more plausible.

Q: Would you like to live a thousand years?

A: Absolutely. ... You're just satisfying your curiosity. Imagine if you could live for a thousand years. Considering that - when did the Wright Brothers fly? In the next 200 years, what will we be doing?

Q: Do you think we'll still be going to movie theaters and watching TV?

A: I could foresee holograms in your living room.

Q: One of the big questions in my little universe: Will your character, Lucius Fox, make it out of the "Dark Knight Rises" alive?

A: Yeah.

Q: How does it feel to be done with the Batman series?

A: I don't see it so much as being done with it. It's the end of a chapter, that's all."

Thoughts?

My thoughts?? I think Through the Wormhole has been my favorite show since it started. I think I could listen to Morgan Freeman narrate just about anything and I'd enjoy it.

As far as the highlighted parts I would love to sit down and talk to him about it. Because during his 75 years on this Earth he's obviously had much more deep thoughts about the matter than he could explain in a brief interview. Here he seems to take the route most atheists take and act like disproving religion is on the same level of disproving God. I'd like to know his thoughts on Conciousness, and how he views himself as God. And what that means for both God and him. He said we invented God(or how we view God), then said he believes in God. And if he can be God then anything could be God, so he may be a borderline(or not so borderline) Pantheist.

I guess my thoughts are just that I would love to sit down and talk with him about such matters.

If he doesn't believe in a God, I'd like to know what he thinks we originated from.

Now, people who think that God invented us think that the Earth can't be more than 6,000 years old.

And that's not true in every case.

Morgan Freeman doesn't believe in God... Yeah okay whatever, back to questions about Dark Knight Rises.

I think this is supposed to be a free country and he is free to think whatever he chooses. It doesn't matter if you or anyone else agrees or disagrees. Freedom of religion and freedom of speech. That is the most important thing. NOT what he thinks or doesn't think; only that he is free to think it. (or SAY it as the case may be)

And that's not true in every case.

I believe it's true in the case of Christianity and Islam, the two largest religions on this planet. To say otherwise is to disagree with the infallible holy word of God himself.

I believe it's true in the case of Christianity and Islam, the two largest religions on this planet. To say otherwise is to disagree with the infallible holy word of God himself.

I haven't seen where the Bible says the Earth is 6,000 years old.

I think he's got an opinion just like every other person does.

I like him as an actor, but I don't place any special importance upon his personal religious or philosophical beliefs.

I never have, nor ever will, understand why people are so interested in what celebrities think or believe. Asking them about politics or anything really makes no sense because they don't have a clue. Just because they are well known and played in many blockbusters does not mean they are intelligent or that their opinion mean any more than anyone else's. In fact it usually means the opposite.

If he doesn't believe in a God, I'd like to know what he thinks we originated from.

I can almost GUARANTEE you he couldn't explain it to you (like most)..... he just knows someone told him there's factual evidence behind it where there's not in religion (like most).

I at least respect those who can explain to me the detailed science of their beliefs which they should be able to do since it is after all factual scientific evidence. For those who don't......well, some people are just not too bright

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how stupid it may be. Example: millions voted in our current president, millions will again.

Does anyone seriously care?

Seriously, can we get back to the important things, Luscious Fox survives in Dark Knight Rises. I figured he was leaving Wayne Enterprises after his disagreement over the cell phone tapping technology Batman used to locate the Joker... *nerdgasm*

Again, the Bible never says the Earth is 6,000 years old.

Well based on the dates, timing of events and span of characters lives in the bible one comes to the logical conclusion after tallying the years up. Unless the bible is wrong about the age of it's characters and the dates of it's events.

Well based on the dates, timing of events and span of characters lives in the bible one comes to the logical conclusion after tallying the years up. Unless the bible is wrong about the age of it's characters and the dates of it's events.

Just throwing this out there but not all of us are Fundamentalists at believe the world is 6,000 years old. Literal interpretation of the stories of the bible is a slippery slope. We know Jesus used metaphors and hypotheticals to explain things, so to many people like myself, I don't really worry about whether or not Jonah was eaten by an actual whale or if the "whale" is a symbol for something else like lust or drunkenness than can "consume" a person.

Just throwing this out there but not all of us are Fundamentalists at believe the world is 6,000 years old. Literal interpretation of the stories of the bible is a slippery slope. We know Jesus used metaphors and hypotheticals to explain things, so to many people like myself, I don't really worry about whether or not Jonah was eaten by an actual whale or if the "whale" is a symbol for something else like lust or drunkenness than can "consume" a person.

Exactly. Additionally the Bible has been translated so many different times before we got the King James version that there are bound to be numerous minor and probably major errors; many of the languages have words with no English translation, so it was up to the scholar to interpret what was likely meant in many cases.

Then there's also the little problem of which gospels were chosen to be included in the Bible... if it's incomplete (and it is), it's incomplete.

So, I try to do the same thing; worry less about the literal interpretation, and try to follow and apply the overall lessons it teaches to my life... I fail sometimes, but since perfection will never be obtained by any of us, the persistent pursuit of that ideal is the important thing, imho.

I can almost GUARANTEE you he couldn't explain it to you (like most)..... he just knows someone told him there's factual evidence behind it where there's not in religion (like most).

I at least respect those who can explain to me the detailed science of their beliefs which they should be able to do since it is after all factual scientific evidence. For those who don't......well, some people are just not too bright

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how stupid it may be. Example: millions voted in our current president, millions will again.

I'm sure he could explain the different thoughts and beliefs he's held on the subject. And if you don't think he could explain the different scientific evidence on the various subjects then you've obviously never seen the show.

brb- GUARANTEEING someone can't explain the different scientific evidence behind their beliefs

brb- they explain tons of scientific evidence about cutting edge scientific breakthroughs on every show

And I could flip that logic back around and use it against religious people. They can't explain to you how a man put 2 of every animal on a boat, but they just believe it because someone told them it happened. At the same time they dismiss any contradictory scientific evidence because it must be flawed.

now I'll just be tossing out some of my favorite clips from the show(also, this weeks premier of Season 3 was awesome, and next weeks show looks like it has the potential to be my favorite).

"A: It's a hard question because as I said at the start, I think we invented God. So if I believe in God, and I do, it's because I think I'm God."

Da lanekiffin.gif? He can quit playing his role in Evan Almighty and Bruce Almighty.

Who gave science permission to be the judge of whether God exists? What if science is not comprehensive enough to be the deciding filter for the evidence?

I Never heard of the "Worm hole"-But I watched a couple of the clips. I guess I can see the attraction that may catch the interest of people. The deep subjects that make people think out of the box.& expand their thought patten. And that alone creates a fascination. it gives them the idea that there may be some deeper things out there that we currently can not explain & have not thourouly explored. But we accept the possiblity that it could be true. But heres what I find interesting. We can watch shows like the "Worm hole " and entertain the thoughts above, but when it comes to religion--some must have absolute proven fact" or it simply is fiction.,

I Never heard of the "Worm hole"-But I watched a couple of the clips. I guess I can see the attraction that may catch the interest of people. The deep subjects that make people think out of the box.& expand their thought patten. And that alone creates a fascination. it gives them the idea that there may be some deeper things out there that we currently can not explain & have not thourouly explored. But we accept the possiblity that it could be true. But heres what I find interesting. We can watch shows like the "Worm hole " and entertain the thoughts above, but when it comes to religion--some must have absolute proven fact" or it simply is fiction.,

I can entertain the thought that a Universal Consciousness could exist. I can entertain the idea that there may be more dimensions that we can not currently detect. I can entertain lots of ideas, and appreciate the attempts of science to delve further into those subjects.

But I can't entertain the idea that a man built a boat and put two of every animal on it, or that God created this entire universe(and probably others) so that he could put life on one small planet. Then put countless life forms on that planet. Then use that setting as a place to put us on it so that he could judge how we live and convince some of us that He became a human. Then if we don't manage to meet his criteria in the 70 or so years we're given out of the countless billions and billions of years of the universe then he'll punish us for infinity. Nope, can't even entertain that idea. Guess that's just me though.