• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HFS

Calipari to the Knicks?

126 posts in this topic

From Knicks reporter, Frank Isola:

Lot of NBA people believe John Calipari to the Knicks is already being set into motion. (Not sure how this impacts Rod Strickland)

LOLOLOLOLOL Keep wishin' and hopin'.

There is ZERO chance of him leaving anytime soon. I guarantee it.

I see zero reason for him to leave. He has everything he needs to be successful right now at Kentucky. Do you also know what Calipari says to his assistants when they are courted by other schools? He says unless they are apart of the Big 6 Conferences or unless they are mid-major ready to win (or the situation is good), that they should just bide their time.... So with that being said, what does the NYK have to offer to Cal? They've got defensive issues up and down the entire roster and many of their players don't listen to the coach. I just don't see it being a good fit for him and it could end very badly.

I think Cal is like Saban in the sense that he has found his niche at the college level and I think he stays there for the rest of his career.

It'll never happen. He's a college coach, not a pro coach. It would be a huge mistake for him.

I've been telling SECats for weeks now (just ask him) that Calipari will take the Knicks job.

He's still being delusional though. lol

I've been telling SECats for weeks now (just ask him) that Calipari will take the Knicks job.

He's still being delusional though. lol

Whats your reasoning that he will take the job? More-or-less to redeem himself for past failures like with New Jersey?

I think Cal is like Saban in the sense that he has found his niche at the college level and I think he stays there for the rest of his career.

Except Cal hasn't ever tested the "NBA" waters, has he (just asking as I'm not sure since I don't follow the NBA at all)? If not, one could argue that Saban found his niche at the college level at LSU before taking the Miami Dolphins coaching job (and failing) before returning to the college level.

With that said, I still don't believe Cal will take the Knicks job.

Except Cal hasn't ever tested the "NBA" waters, has he (just asking as I'm not sure since I don't follow the NBA at all)?

He has.

Whats your reasoning that he will take the job? More-or-less to redeem himself for past failures like with New Jersey?

Yep. He's proven he can be top-notch at the collegiate level time and time again.

Why not try to prove that he can be top-notch at the NBA level too? He's still fairly young. If he fails in the NBA (again), I can assure you, any team in the NCAA, except the Ivy League schools and Vandy, will take him.

Using the Knicks to get a raise. Priceless

Cal took over full control of the Nets after UMASS and didn't do so hot.

This has been addressed many times. He's not leaving for the Knicks (or any other team).

Except Cal hasn't ever tested the "NBA" waters, has he (just asking as I'm not sure since I don't follow the NBA at all)? If not, one could argue that Saban found his niche at the college level at LSU before taking the Miami Dolphins coaching job (and failing) before returning to the college level.

With that said, I still don't believe Cal will take the Knicks job.

He was the head coach for the New Jersey Nets from 1996-1999 and was fired where ended up going to be an assistant with 76ers under Larry Brown before heading back to the college ranks for good.

Yep. He's proven he can be top-notch at the collegiate level time and time again.

Why not try to prove that he can be top-notch at the NBA level too? He's still fairly young. If he fails in the NBA (again), I can assure you, any team in the NCAA, except the Ivy League schools and Vandy, will take him.

I can see that to a degree but still have a hard time seeing him leave from where he is at right now. If Calipari heads to the NBA again it should be anyone BUT the Knicks. The entire Knicks organization is a mess from top to bottom from the administration to the players. Could Calipari handle it? Most likely. But it would be a couple years before they could ever have some success. The contracts with Carmelo and Amare really leave them in a bind with signing other players so I just have a hard time seeing him being successful there.

He's not leaving for the Knicks (or any other team).

Yes, and Tubberville was leaving Oxford in a pine box and numerous other coaches of other sports have said the same.

I never believe them. (Except for Lord Merlin. :trollface: )

He has.

Well it would surprise me if he went back to the NBA then.

Yes, and Tubberville was leaving Oxford in a pine box and numerous other coaches of other sports have said the same.

Listen to me....he's not leaving. No reason to go, he's in basketball heaven and getting any recruit he wants. He'll win 4-5 more titles if he stays 10-12 years.

Are you comparing Ole Miss Football to Kentucky Basektball?!?! Please tell me you're not.

He makes over $4M a year and could be Governor of the damn state. LOL

Cal tweet...like I said:

John Calipari ‏ @UKCoachCalipari

#BBN, breathe. Relax. Enjoy the championship. I'm not going anywhere: http://www.coachcal.com/13555/2012/04/dont-let-anyone-steal-our-joy/ (link to article addressing rumors from CoachCal.com) Big Blue Nation, breathe. Relax. Calm down. Enjoy the championship. I just talked to Mike DeCourcy and Andy Katz and they asked me if I was going to jump to the NBA. What?! I We just won the championship a day and a half ago. The only three things I’m trying to decide on is when I’m going to go see a few recruits, how I’m going to get through all these voicemails and when do I get a chance to get some sleep. But for those of you that need to hear it again, let me repeat what I told Andy and Mike: I’m not going anywhere. I have the best job in the country. Why would I leave after we’ve just won a national title? We’re trying to catch UCLA, folks. I’ve got more money than I’m ever going to need or my family can spend, so I don’t have to make a decision based on finances. Let me assure you that you will see me at NBA games this summer … to watch our former players. I’m not going to give up my lifestyle based on a few rumors, and I will continue to go to NBA games to see my family, friends and former players. I’m even going to a game tonight. But relax, Big Blue Nation. Sit back and enjoy this special time. We’ve waited 14 years for this, so let’s not let anyone ruin this for us. No one’s stealing my joy or my players’ joy. Don’t let them steal yours.

Article too....

^Damn you literally JUST beat me to it in post this. Nice job!

UK fans, you guys are LITERALLY insane if you think that NYC doesnt have more to offer than lanekiffin.gifing lexington kentucky....seriously, get a grip. I've lived in both places and NYC, especially NYC with money, is 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times better than lexington. Maybe he's not leaving but I see no reason why he wouldnt jump at the chance to coach a good team for twice the money and all the perks of living in new york. haha you guys way over estimate your whole state sometimes, kentucky, as a state, is the worst place ive ever lived. Tiny roads with bad drivers and a hole cops, the worst weather/mold problems anyone could imagine short of siberia, and no attractions. No water, no theme parks, no reason to visit kentucky unless you like horses, and if you like horses you better have a s--t ton of money. Sorry, I know this will offend some people but I really needed to vent about my time there because the state blows hard....not a knock on the people I met all kinds of nice people there.

Kentucky fans, get used to it. That's what happens when you're on top. How many times has Saban been mentioned for another NFL job?

Some people are meant to coach college, Calipari and Saban are great examples.