• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TigerWalk

Next Gen. Consoles Might Render Used Games Useless

14 posts in this topic

Over the last few months unconfirmed insider rumors have suggested that both the next gen Xbox and Playstation may lock out used games from being played.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1221819p1.html

This rumor suggests that the new Playstation will lock all purchased games to one PS account where it can only be played through that one account, and would be able to be downloaded from that individual's PS store account if a new copy was needed at a later date. It's rumored that used, second hand games would allow new owners to play a "trial" version of the game, but would require extra payment to unlock the full game.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/next-xbox-to-play-blu-rays-block-used-games-report-6349165

This rumor simply suggests that Microsoft may be implementing a system to block used games from being played on the next Xbox, but no further details on it are offered.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/122/1220412p1.html

This source claims that the next xbox may not even contain a disk drive at all, and would instead rely on downloadable games and possibly use some sort of interchangeable, solid-state storage device.

These are ALL unconfirmed rumors, but its still interesting to think about the implications of systems that might try to kill off used game markets. Might spark a new revival in PC gaming if any of this turns out to be true.

I hope not. A lot of people sell old games to buy new games lol.

It's a horrible idea, but whatev. I won't be upgrading from my ps3 anytime soon

Will never happen.

Do you know the percentage of console owners worldwide that do not have their console connected to the internet?

Will never happen.

Do you know the percentage of console owners worldwide that do not have their console connected to the internet?

I figure it's pretty low

I figure it's pretty low

The ps3 has the highest percentage of connected users, at 78%.

If you take JUST sony into account, do you think sony would want to lose 22% market share (they would ALL buy the competitor console that did not force online) and 22% of their current software sales?

The used game market, although a plague in the eyes of developers, is not worth 22% marketshare.

Part of the reason you charge $60 for a new game is that most people will sell it after they play it for $15-$20. If you take away the salvage value the price will have to come down or they'll see a drop off in sales.

The ps3 has the highest percentage of connected users, at 78%.

If you take JUST sony into account, do you think sony would want to lose 22% market share (they would ALL buy the competitor console that did not force online) and 22% of their current software sales?

The used game market, although a plague in the eyes of developers, is not worth 22% marketshare.

They have the highest bc they are a free service. But how many times have they been hacked now?

I honestly thought that number would be higher given the day in age were at

The only good thing is that those lanekiffin.gifing swindlers at GameStop will go outta business

I doubt it will happen. Gamers are a pretty strong-willed community. The protest would be enormous, and I think there'd be a boycott of any new system that had such a lock implemented.

Not like gamers don't have an alternative. They can just go the PC-route, and would if some BS were pushed on them like this.

I doubt it will happen. Gamers are a pretty strong-willed community. The protest would be enormous, and I think there'd be a boycott of any new system that had such a lock implemented.

Not like gamers don't have an alternative. They can just go the PC-route, and would if some BS were pushed on them like this.

I agree that I don't think this will occur to such an extreme, but I would question how powerful the gaming community would really be in stopping such a thing from eventually occurring.

-There are already PC games on the market that require an internet conntection in order for the company to make sure you have a legit copy before allowing you to play it.. No internet = no playing the game you bought. This is something a lot of major developers are beginning to put into practice.

-Games already come with certain features locked behind a passcode that only comes with new copies of the game. Buy it used? Might not get multiplayer or all the content unless you want to shell out an additional 10 or so dollars.

- Games are already shipping with release day paid DLC already on the disc. By this I mean the game ships with locked content that you have to pay extra to access.

10+ years ago who thought gamers would allow any of this type of stuff to be implemented?

PC > Consoles anyways

I was always more of a Nintendo gal myself...

I was always more of a Nintendo gal myself...

Me too. Err...guy.

• TheRealBrave
      I can safely say it is impossible for a QB to have a sluggish start vs. Georgia right now
    • L.A.Hog
      No one with a family and common sense want trump to destroy this country....
    • TheRealBrave
      Something that bothered me was Lester Holt being Hillary's personal fact checker and attempting to correct Trump consistently. He didn't jump on her for lying when she denied saying TPP is the gold standard of trade deals. It is plain as day that she said it, and relatively recently.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpLQzeCoNnA&app=desktop
    • Mizzou_Fan
      So now we'll move on to LSU and Tennessee. 
    • Flea
      LSU is the only Power 5 team in a state with a tiny population compared to Texas.  LSU and Bama made out like bandits by bringing in A&M.  And to show how autonomous LSU is, wasn't their recent change decided at ULL game?   Houston?  A serious multi-year threat?  With their pack 45,000 seat stadium and limited funds?   They flash every few decades. They won't keep TH that long.   tu?  Can't compete with the SEC brand.  TCU and Baylor?  Self-destruct at least once per 20 years.   
  • Popular Contributors

1. 1
      foxflyer5
      foxflyer5
    2. 2
      bbqit
      bbqit
    3. 3
      JoeGator
      JoeGator
    4. 4
      razorhead