• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CockyinCola

Introducing the new SC Head Coach

32 posts in this topic

Frank Martin.

Kansas City Star @KCStar

BREAKING - Report: South Carolina to hire K-State's Frank Martin as basketball coach.

So excited about this. One of the best stable of coaches at any program in the country with Spurrier, Tanner, Dawn Staley, and now Frank Martin.

LOVE this hire for USC! He is a great coach IMO. Great attitude. Great leader. Great motivator. He is EXACTLY what USC needs!

Congrats on vying for second place in the SEC on a regular basis. ;)

I honestly didn't think there was any chance our hire would excite me about Gamecock basketball. I'm very happy I was wrong.

Love Justin King's initial contribution to the story....

485646_352144831504077_142783009106928_1053905_1803699449_n.jpg

Excellent Choice, he has been very competitive in the Big12 and alot of schools are excited he has moved on to the SEC so they don't have to face him.

Honestly don't know a lot about him. More informed minds keep saying it's a great hire so I'm pretty excited about this....and the video makes me even more so.

Definitely look forward to watching Mizzou play against two familiar faces next season - Mike Anderson in Arkansas and now Frank Martin in South Carolina. Gonna be fun. Can't wait! :thumbu:

Haha, just watched the video. "SO MUCH FOR MY HALFTIME SPEECH! Give their best player three straight open 3's...NO...FOUR! because one of them was in and the good Lord kicked it out!!!!"

Kansas State coach Frank Martin was meeting with South Carolina officials Monday and would then decide whether to accept an offer or stay with the Wildcats, Martin told ESPN.com.

Martin said in a text message that the deal is not done as has been reported.

Martin said conversations first started between his party and South Carolina on Saturday. Martin had texted Friday night that he had not spoken to South Carolina officials.

He was in New York to work for CBS' studio show. Martin was asked on air if he had spoken to South Carolina but at that point he personally had not yet.

If Martin were to accept an offer to coach at South Carolina he would be closer to his native South Florida and recruiting ties. But he would be trading a newly established basketball school for one that has struggled to find its place in the SEC. A number of sources said Martin and the Kansas State administration have been at odds recently and that might lead him to leave.

Martin was open about his interest in the Miami opening last year but was never interviewed. He stayed and took the Wildcats to the NCAA tournament yet again while Miami was in the NIT. South Carolina finished last in the SEC under former coach Darrin Horn.

Multiple media outlets reported Monday that South Carolina and Martin had agreed to a contract less than two weeks after the Gamecocks fired Horn.

Martin, 45, is under contract with Kansas State through 2015 after signing an extension two years ago.

Martin is a native of Miami and coached high school basketball there for 15 years. He joined Northeastern University as an assistant coach in 2000 before working in the same capacity for Cincinnati and Kansas State. He was named coach of the Wildcats in 2007 and has led Kansas State to three straight NCAA tournament appearances.

Martin earned his bachelor's degree in physical education from Florida International in 1993.

Martin had made headlines Monday for another reason. Speaking during Sunday's broadcast of the NCAA tournament on CBS, he said that he regularly paid collegiate players who had played for him in high school when they had nowhere else to turn.

Working as an analyst on the telecast Sunday, Martin seemed to be making a case for better compensating collegiate players in need as he defended Kansas State senior Jamar Samuels, who was held out of the Wildcats' final game because of an eligibility concern.

"I coached 16 years in the same inner city in Miami that I grew up in. Do you know how much money I sent to kids that played for me in high school when they were in college because I knew where they came from?" Martin said, according to a transcript of the broadcast published by the Kansas City Star. "I knew they didn't have a father figure."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7739256/kansas-state-wildcats-frank-martin-consider-south-carolina-gamecocks-offer

USC has officially announced an 11am news conference tomorrow to name the new men's basketball coach. Unless he has a last minute change of heart, Frank Martin is going to be our coach.

Congrats Cocks. Nice hire for sure. We are upgrading the s--t out of coaching talent in the SEC. Hope my Bulldogs can match this hire.

Damn, now that's a pretty impressive hire.

Congrats fellas.

awesome hire!! Can't wait to see what happens with the team

Some quotes from his presser going on right now. I'm buying in.

John Whittle @johnmwhittle

Frank Martin: We’re going to make this the hardest arena in the country for anybody to play. #Gamecocks

Heath Cline @heathradio

Martin: "Some people run away from challenges. I run to challenges."

Spurs Up Blog @SpursUpBlog

#FrankMartinSC: "I have tremendous respect for the guys who were here before me and respect for the situation they're in." #Gamecocks

Heath Cline @heathradio

Martin: "We will put 18 thousand people in this arena every game." Mentions SC win over UK w/ Devan Downey as making big impression on him.

My favorite quote was "When these men graduate they will be employees, fathers, and husbands for the rest of their lives. Those are 365 days a year jobs. It will be unacceptable to not give every ounce of themselves for just 35 days or so during our games."

I may actually become a Jim Rome fan now:

‎"I don't have favorites. But if South Carolina now has Frank Martin and the Ol' Ball Coach Spurrier sharing the same facilities, I am now a USC fan. And yes I said USC, because South Carolina is now the real USC. Southern Cal is now SCU."

Hope this works out for Carolina.

I find him annoying, but so was Bruce Peal and he still beat our asses all the time.

My favorite quote was "When these men graduate they will be employees, fathers, and husbands for the rest of their lives. Those are 365 days a year jobs. It will be unacceptable to not give every ounce of themselves for just 35 days or so during our games."

That quote right there is why I think Bruce Ellington has a big decision to make.

Atmosphere at Colonial Life made a big impact on his decision....

that's odd, because I heard people say coaches weren't winning here because of the fans.

My take on it is, Carolina's always had the fans there for basketball, they're just waiting in the wings for something to support. Other programs will obviously show up and support their team, but I think if given a consistently competitive product, Colonial Center will be filled most nights. At places like Ole Miss, Auburn, and Georgia, I think fans will respond but they're not going to get overly passi'onate about it. I see a great many SC fans interested in talking basketball, I think ya'll have the support there but just haven't had anything worth getting excited about.

It is a great hire. I'm just upset that we have to play that fool's team again next year...

My take on it is, Carolina's always had the fans there for basketball, they're just waiting in the wings for something to support. Other programs will obviously show up and support their team, but I think if given a consistently competitive product, Colonial Center will be filled most nights. At places like Ole Miss, Auburn, and Georgia, I think fans will respond but they're not going to get overly passi'onate about it. I see a great many SC fans interested in talking basketball, I think ya'll have the support there but just haven't had anything worth getting excited about.

true story

• jacobp
    • TheRealBrave
      And you keep mistaking me for some ardent Trump fan. Don't know how many times I have to tell you, I voted for Kasich and loved when Mitt Romney tore Trump apart   I am about as far from a protectionist as you will find
    • TheRealBrave
      LSU has this easily, Locke hasn't faced a defense anywhere near LSU's level yet. LSU 24 Mizzou 10
    • L.A.Hog
      Exactly, he tells you what you want to hear.With no plan to follow.... But he'll reveal it soon...afrer all, its only two months til election..he'll let us know pretty soon, I reckon, what his plan is.... but that wall is the plan, millions of dollars that will be pissed off before construction, then billions to build it and we pay for it.When I say we,i don't include trump because he don't pay taxes.He's a rich welfare baby.... screw that deadbeat bitch...
    • smokeyone
      Maybe it's been so long since we have seen a candidate with a clue we don't recognize them anymore.  Boarders, Standards (law), and Culture. The fundamental essence of a nation. As it stands the system has all but removed them from this dying once great nation. Nobody respects them anymore. No one want to acknowledge they matter. Hell Trump wasn't my first or second choice but he has the message we need to hear
  • Popular Contributors

1. 1
      bbqit
      bbqit
    2. 2
      razorhead
      razorhead
    3. 3
      foxflyer5
      foxflyer5
    4. 4
      JoeGator