• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cocky4ever

oceans acidifying

102 posts in this topic

http://www.cbsnews.c...-in-300m-years/

(CBS) Because of industrial emissions, the earth's oceans are acidifying faster now than at any point in the past 300 million years, says a study by researchers at Columbia University.

According to a

blog post from The Earth Institute at Columbia University Thursday, the acidity of the oceans has increased 30% in the past 100 years due to carbon emissions by human beings.

According to the post:

While the amount of carbon in the air and oceans has fluctuated naturally over time...oceans may be acidifying faster today from industrial emissions than they did during four major extinctions in the last 300 million years when carbon levels spiked naturally.

A

press release put out by The Earth Institute at Columbia University describes the pH drop as possibly "unprecedented" and says the change threatens various oceanic species. Oceans soak up excess carbon dioxide from the atmosphere like a "sponge," according to the blog post, and changes in ocean acidity can affect corals, mollusks and plankton.

"If industrial carbon emissions continue at the current pace," Barbel Honisch, a paleoceanographer at Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory and the study's lead author, says, "we may lose organisms we care about."

"What we're doing today,"

according to Honisch, "really stands out."

The international team of researchers looked at hundreds of paleoceanographic studies and determined that there was only "only one period in the last 300 million years when the oceans changed even remotely as fast as today," the release says. During that period 56 million years ago, "As many as half of all species of benthic foraminifers, a group of single-celled organisms that live at the ocean bottom, went extinct.

Researchers believe that organisms higher on the food chain may also have gone extinct in that period.

The study "raises the possibility that we are entering an unknown territory of marine ecosystem change," co-author Andy Ridgwell of Bristol University said, according to

AFP.

The study appears in the journal

Science.

Not sure what to think about this. I mean, how do they know how many single celled organisms went extinct at the bottom of the ocean 56 million years ago?? I think there is probably some truth to what they say, but when they make claims like that it makes me more hesitant to believe everything they say. Maybe there is a way they could know, but I don't see how. I think environmental issues certainly need to be addressed, but the people who predict doom and gloom every year are just as bad as the people who say "no need to worry or change anything, it's all good." Both sides push from an extremist mentality that doesn't do much to help us find out exactly what kind of impacts we're making and what we need to change.

Yep, scientists can't prove that humans have a significant affect on global warming, so they're changing their angle. Meh.

God put water on Earth for us to pollute as we see fit. Why can't these homo scientists grasp that?

God put water on Earth for us to pollute as we see fit. Why can't these homo scientists grasp that?

You're not even trying anymore.

Dude, you don't even care what professional scientists have to say. Why would I bother with a serious reply?

:laugh:

Dude, you don't even care what professional scientists have to say. Why would I bother with a serious reply?

Yep, and those professional scientists gave all sorts of evidence to mankind's role in oceans are becoming more acetic, didn't they? Gid is right, you went full derp.

Yep, and those professional scientists gave all sorts of evidence to mankind's role in oceans are becoming more acetic, didn't they? Gid is right, you went full derp.

It wouldnt matter anyway. You don't care what any scientist has to say and you know it.

You certainly can't think that the amount of pollutants we put out has no impact on the Earth.

It wouldnt matter anyway. You don't care what any scientist has to say and you know it.

Man, go back to bed. This is the weakest I've seen you on here. Come back when you've found some dignity

You certainly can't think that the amount of pollutants we put out has no impact on the Earth.

That's a loaded question. They have some impact, but is it significant?

Man, go back to bed. This is the weakest I've seen you on here. Come back when you've found some dignity

The guy ignoring facts is telling me to go back to sleep. Ironic

Actually I'm sure he cares about the scientists who say we don't impact the environment.

That's a loaded question. They have some impact, but is it significant?

That's a loaded question. Define "significant". Cutting down incredible amounts of trees while pouring ungodly amounts of carbon dioxide into the air can't be good. Pouring chemicals into bodies of water can't be good. Hell, just a few years ago it was discovered that so many Americans take prescription drugs they were showing up in our drinking water because our filtration system couldn't remove all of the drugs from our water before it was returned to consumers. That's just from people taking prescription drugs and then pissing into our sewage treatment plants. I'd think that the insane amount of pollutants the world puts out would have a pretty significant impact on the world.

The guy ignoring facts is telling me to go back to sleep. Ironic

LOL, what facts?!?! Did you read the article? There were NO facts. Here, let me tell you what it said, "Oceans are getting more acetic because of mankind's emissions". And their evidence? JUST BECAUSE! Give me a break.

Actually I'm sure he cares about the scientists who say we don't impact the environment.

On the contrary, they simply add to the fact that scientists don't agree. What's your excuse for believe these guys? Did the "just because" theory win you over?

That's a loaded question. Define "significant". Cutting down incredible amounts of trees while pouring ungodly amounts of carbon dioxide into the air can't be good. Pouring chemicals into bodies of water can't be good. Hell, just a few years ago it was discovered that so many Americans take prescription drugs they were showing up in our drinking water because our filtration system couldn't remove all of the drugs from our water before it was returned to consumers. That's just from people taking prescription drugs and then pissing into our sewage treatment plants. I'd think that the insane amount of pollutants the world puts out would have a pretty significant impact on the world.

Cool story.

On the contrary, they simply add to the fact that scientists don't agree. What's your excuse for believe these guys? Did the "just because" theory win you over?

No, I said I don't believe everything they say. I just use common sense to say" You know what, I bet cutting down our carbon dioxide filters while pouring billions of tons of carbon dioxide into the air daily probably has an impact on the environment. Setting off countless nuclear bombs in the ocean may not be a good idea. Pouring so much mercury into our ocean that pregnant women are advised to not eat tuna is probably not good for the environment." And so on and so forth.

No, I said I don't believe everything they say.

Good, then we're in agreement. The fact that this report gives no scientific evidence to mankind's role in oceans becoming more acetic makes it a, as FCN would call it, a flying spaghetti monster.

LOL, what facts?!?! Did you read the article? There were NO facts. Here, let me tell you what it said, "Oceans are getting more acetic because of mankind's emissions". And their evidence? JUST BECAUSE! Give me a break.

You're right. When hundreds of studies of the ocean are reviewed and a gigantic outlier is revealed for our current time period, that is neither fact nor evidence. That's just oceans bein' oceans, amirite?

That's just oceans bein' oceans, amirite?

You're finally catching on, this planet is bigger and more powerful than anything mankind can throw at it. If mother earth wants more acid in her oceans, then she says, " :lanekiffin: yo couch."

Cool story.

Well I'll try to keep this simple since you don't want to hear fancy numbers or statistics.

Smog reports change based on different sources of pollutants, many of which are man made. I'd say when we can change how healthy our air is(and can actually make it harmful) then it's a significant impact.

Being a scientist doesn't disqualify one from being a fool. There's absolutely no way for a scientist to say with ANY level of certainty that the changes in the pH levels of the Earth's oceans are "unprecedented" because there's absolutely no way for them to take that measurement from any time over 100 years ago, let alone 300 million years ago. It's ludicrous and one would be foolish to just take this at face value and say "well they're scientists, they must be right." Scientists are wrong quite literally ALL THE TIME. Part of the scientific process is to make a hypothesis and then try to prove it. With hypotheses like these, you can make all sorts of leaps and conclusions when you're basing so much of it off of environmental events that allegedly occurred hundreds of millions of years ago. Such events are hypothetical themselves, so how can a hypothesis based on assumptions made about a hypothetical event be indisputable?

Well I'll try to keep this simple since you don't want to hear fancy numbers or statistics.

Smog reports change based on different sources of pollutants, many of which are man made. I'd say when we can change how healthy our air is(and can actually make it harmful) then it's a significant impact.

Significant to you maybe, not me. If you consider all of the chemicals in the earth's atmosphere, I'd wager that .0000000000001% are affected by mankind. Hey, if you don't like the smog in LA, move.