Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brah

The Alabama Recruiting Thread

2,749 posts in this topic

A few midweek recruiting notes:

• Jabriel Washington, ATH from Jackson, Tennessee,has named UA a leader, and by no small margin. UA holds a lead over LSU, Tennessee, and Georgia, in order.

• Washington is a FAST player with a HUGE list of offers (just take a gander at it on his Rivals profile). He has 21 offers from BCS conference schools.
  • And, even better news, he wants to get his decision over with before summer begins. After he visits Tennessee and LSU, he will be ready to make a decision.
  • This would be a huge steal out from under the Vol's nose and it looks like we might just do that.
  • Remember the name, he could very well be donning Crimson & White in the future.
  • Another out-of-state name to remember, DJ Pettway. The DE from the panhandle of Florida is VERY interested in Alabama. He has claimed he was going to Alabama before we even offered him a scholarship.
  • He was BLOWN away by our scholarship offer and is very excited. Its not a done deal yet, but don't be surprised if we end up with Mr. Pettway, this time on the football team.

Jabriel Washington's Film

Yeah, I'd expect either Wright or Washington to commit next for Bama.

And if those are the next 2...well could our start get much more impressive?

All of our commits would be strong candidates to be in the top 100, and the JUCO Quinton Dial killed it last year and will be one of the top JUCO prospects (possibly 5 star)

Dial could easily be a 5* Juco. Guys a beast

Texas already has 17 commits lol. they do this every year. All the guys are from texas to. Only 3 of there recruits last year were from oos

1. It’s quite apparent that Alabama under coach Nick Saban has established Georgia as its primary recruiting territory outside state borders, which is pointed out in a story this morning at TideSports.com. Andrew Bone reports that the Crimson Tide has offered 15 Peach Staters to this point and, according to him at least, leads for pretty much every one. Of course, the Georgia recruits Bone lists are pretty much a who’s who for best in the state for 2011. The Tide already has a commitment from Cook LB Shannon Brown. The other prospects are: RB Isaiah Crowell and DL Gabe Wright of Carver-Columbus; DE Xzavier Dickson of Griffin; CB Damian Swann of Grady; TE Jay Rome and DB Malcom Mitchell of Valdosta; DL Ray Drew of Thomas County Central; QB C.J. Uzomah of North Gwinnett; LB A.J. Johnson of Gainesville; DE Sterling Bailey of East Hall; RB Quan Bray of Hogansville; and WR Christian Conley of North Paulding.

2. Of course, the Tide is going to go head-to-head with Georgia on pretty much every one of these prospects. And Bone lists Crowell and Wright, two of UGA’s main targets for 2011, as pretty much done deals for Bama. But don’t expect the Bulldogs to just roll over and play dead because the defending national champions are in on these guys. UGA has identified the Crimson Tide as public enemy number one in the state and is fighting tooth-and-nail to keep these guys at home. Judging from Wright’s comments to Scout.com earlier this week his future in Tuscaloosa is far from a certainty. “Mark Richt came down and talked with me and we had a nice little conversation about some stuff,” said Wright, who attended UGA’s junior day in Athens on Saturday. “The one thing I remember very well is when he talked to me about me and Isaiah committing to them. He told me if we committed early that I would not believe how many other guys would come with us. He talked about how big that would be to keep the best players in Georgia. I told him he is right because I would really recruit hard if I committed early.” Can you be a strong lean to one school while you’re talking early commitment to another?

3. I have something coming on this next week but my old pal Mark Schlabach has written for ESPN.com an in-depth piece on the advent of “junior days” in recruiting. The late-winter, on-campus visits with the following fall’s rising seniors have become one of the most important recruiting tools in college football, especially among the country’s most elite programs. These early recruiting opportunities are like an all-you-can-eat buffet with the top teams getting first dibs on the best entrees. UGA’s Rodney Garner and Texas head coach Mack Brown are quoted extensively.

4. Speaking of which, Texas garnered a lot of headlines when it came out of its first junior day of the year two weekends ago with 13 commitments. Well the undisputed kings of pre-spring recruiting are now up to 17 verbal commitments. At the Longhorns’ current rate they are on pace to best last year’s early-haul record of 21 commitments by April Fool’s Day.

5. So far Georgia, which held its second junior day of 2010 this past weekend in Athens, has a relatively modest four commitments (OL David Andrews, Wesleyan; LB Amarlo Herrera, North Clayton; DB Corey Moore, Griffin; DB Chris Sanders, Tucker). But the Bulldogs have been firing off offers like t-shirts out of an air cannon. That makes sense since the expectation is that they’ll be in the market for the NCAA max of 25 players this time around. Best as I can tell, the latest tenders have gone out for: RB Demetrius Hart, Orlando; CB Jonathan Rose, Leeds, Ala; LB Lawrence Thomas, Detroit; LB Lateek Townsend, Bennettsville, S.C.; CB Nick Waisome, Groveland, Fla.; and 2012 prospect Dakota Ball of Pepperell.

6. Same thing for Georgia Tech. New recruiting coordinator Andy McCollum told me yesterday he expects the Jackets will “have more numbers to sign” than they did for 2010, when they inked 18 players. Among the offers to go out of late have been to OL Trey Braun, Tallahassee, DE/OLB Chaz Cheeks, East Hall; QB Vad Lee, Durham, N.C.; ATH Chris Milton, Charlton County; ATH T.J. Thorpe, Durham, N.C.; and ATH Airyn Willis, High Point, N.C. If you didn’t already see it check out the update I posted on McCollum and Tech’s recruiting earlier today.

7. Nike held a football combine in Orlando this past weekend and a Tech target for 2011 was one of the best performers. Running back Jabari Days of Powder Springs’ Hillgrove High School recorded the second highest “SPARQ Rating” (a formula that combines the results of all the physical tests, including 40 times, cone drills, vertical leap, etc.). Anything over 100 is supposed to be exceptional. Days — the younger brother of 2010 Yellow Jackets’ signee Synjyn Days — had a 104.31, according to ESPN.com. The top performer was Melbourne, Fla., running back J.J. Keels with a 106.29. At last year’s Orlando Nike Combine the 5-foot-10, 180-pound sleeper recorded a 106.38 score.

8. Peach State twins Tyler and Tanner Botts recently went up to Columbia to check out the South Carolina Gamecocks. Mitchell County WR/DB Justin Scott added an offer from the Gamecocks to his long list.

9. This and that: Running back Ralph David Abernathy IV of Westminster received an offer from Ole Miss this past week. . . . Pepperell OL Kyle Harris received Cincinnati and Louisville offers. . . . South Paulding QB Tony Daniel and Kell DB Brian Randolph Tennessee this past weekend.

10. I leave you with a Tweet from out local Twitter aficionado, Markeith Ambles. The AJC Super 11 wide receiver from Henry County and USC signee is apparently angling for Reggie Bush’s number 5 jersey. Tweeted Ambles: mARKEITHAMBLES#shoutout “to one of the best sc players @reggie_bush and a superbowl winner……now let me rock the number 5 and put on for ya.”

Ten at 10: Bama confident as it hits Peach State hard | AJC College Sports Recruiting

Gabe Wright is expected to visit Tuscaloosa again this weekend. Commit soon?

I wouldn't be surprised if he visited A day too. All signs point to Wright committing before the Summer is over for sure, and I wouldn't be surprised if its before the Spring is up. While Crowell probably sticks to what he said and waits until NSD. Both guys seem to enjoying the recruiting process in general, and Wright just said he thinks they'll both end up at the same place with Bama as the leader right now (despite Georgia the spin that Chip tried to sell in that article or what FSU folks want to think).

I wouldn't be surprised if he visited A day too. All signs point to Wright committing before the Summer is over for sure, and I wouldn't be surprised if its before the Spring is up. While Crowell probably sticks to what he said and waits until NSD. Both guys seem to enjoying the recruiting process in general, and Wright just said he thinks they'll both end up at the same place with Bama as the leader right now (despite Georgia the spin that Chip tried to sell in that article or what FSU folks want to think).

Tend to think the same. I honestly think Wright might be a silent commit.Who knows though? It's a long time to signing day, but all signs are pointing to Mr. Wright being in Crimson.

He's made it clear before most people even knew about him that he loves the Tide, and it looked as if he'd be one of the first commits. I wouldn't be surprised if he were a silent commit and just wants to take other visits. And while I expect him in Crimson, I wouldn't be surprised if he follows Crowell's lead and held out on his commitment for dramatic effect.

He's a big time recruit and seems to be a fun loving dude, so I really wouldn't be shocked if he committed and then took all of his officials just for the free trip and to go with Crowell (who will take all his visits).

The facebook watchers on BOL have spotted him giving a "RTR" to Dequan Menzie and Menzie replying "You already know what it is." Or something of that sort. TIFWIW. I really wanna get Wright, maybe because it leads to Crowell. I feel like getting Wright and Brown early will help us open up the pipeline in Georgia we are going after this year.

The other guy I really wanna get, AJ Johnson. Also from Georgia.

The facebook watchers on BOL have spotted him giving a "RTR" to Dequan Menzie and Menzie replying "You already know what it is."

that just screams fifty different kinds of pathetic

that just screams fifty different kinds of pathetic

Hey. I didnt do the dirty work. However, facebook has become heavily followed by a lot of recruiting sites. Seen it mentioned in a few Rivals articles and stuff. Its becoming more of a personal recruit profile for most of these kids rather than their personal facebook. It's almost become like a 'twitter' for the recruit with updates on visits, favorite schools, and other updates, just with more stuff. Most people don't find it weird if people follow recruits on twitter or read their twitter frequently. I've never seen the difference.

Hey. I didnt do the dirty work. However, facebook has become heavily followed by a lot of recruiting sites. Seen it mentioned in a few Rivals articles and stuff. Its becoming more of a personal recruit profile for most of these kids rather than their personal facebook. It's almost become like a 'twitter' for the recruit with updates on visits, favorite schools, and other updates, just with more stuff. Most people don't find it weird if people follow recruits on twitter or read their twitter frequently. I've never seen the difference.

I follow recruiting very heavily. But friend requesting guys on facebook to know their next move, or following 17 year old guys on Twitter is just, well, gay.

I follow recruiting very heavily. But friend requesting guys on facebook to know their next move, or following 17 year old guys on Twitter is just, well, gay.

Oh, I agree. The worst are the ones who think they can convince them by writing on their walls.

Oh, I agree. The worst are the ones who think they can convince them by writing on their walls.

Pretty soon the NCAA is going to start handing out secondary's to fans.

Don't let spunk fool you, he stalks on facebook...it's just female 17 year olds.

Don't let spunk fool you, he stalks on facebook...it's just female 17 year olds.

ok Mr. Chinese Democracy

ok Mr. Chinese Democracy

Isn't that the name of the failed album Axel tried to make with a new GNR?

Isn't that the name of the failed album Axel tried to make with a new GNR?

yeah, I have yet to listen to it, most likely never will

Pretty soon the NCAA is going to start handing out secondary's to fans.

I once gave my seat on a bus to a football player :ph34r:

I once gave my seat on a bus to a football player :ph34r:

That was Rosa Parks.

Wait, what? :blink:

Bama has the lead for damian swann (8th rated cb on scout, rivals 250 watch list). Georgia is second.

Yeah just heard about Swann, gonna shape up to be one sick class folks...

Looks like Woodson just wants to be loved. I think if we give him the full court press, he'll be ours. I just don't know if we're ready to do that, and I don't know if he has a firm offer. I sorta believe we offered him because of how well he liked his Auburn visit, but I feel the staff still wants to evaluate him more.

As for Swann. I posted some vids from Youtube on him back when he first named us his favorites a while back, but the site had a little meltdown and wiped out a few days of the good work we've been doin' up in here.

The guy looks like a hell of an athlete

Yeah, he does. I am putting him on our list right now. :D