• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shamoan

news flash....dan mullen great recruiter

36 posts in this topic

this made me laugh.....

" I know the Gator fans went nuts when Addazio was the OC and wanted Mullen back in a big way. Mullen is also a great recruiter."

http://bwi.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=36&tid=150296437&mid=150296437&sid=890&style=2

some ass hat on a penn state site says mullen is a great recruiter. lol...priceless.

either way, looks like the penn state talk is heating up a bit. i think dan is interviewing today. or thats what the interwebs are saying.

I'm at the point I don't give a damn anymore. If he goes, go hire Hudspeth and find another OC....

It's going to happen as long as little old MSU is going to bowl games. May as well get used to it. We have played 112 seasons of football at MSU. We are just now going to our 16th bowl. So, basically, we have a .500 record or better roughly 15% of the time. We average going to a bowl every 7th year. In 3 years, he's taken us to 2. Regardless of how bad his recruiting sucks, folks are going to notice that.

We have played 112 seasons of football at MSU. We are just now going to our 16th bowl. So, basically, we have a .500 record or better roughly 15% of the time.

Don't forget that for a long time, going .500 or even having a winning record didn't guarantee a bowl. It's only the last few years where there are nearly as many bowl bids as teams...

It's going to happen as long as little old MSU is going to bowl games. May as well get used to it. We have played 112 seasons of football at MSU. We are just now going to our 16th bowl. So, basically, we have a .500 record or better roughly 15% of the time. We average going to a bowl every 7th year. In 3 years, he's taken us to 2. Regardless of how bad his recruiting sucks, folks are going to notice that.

With smart OOC scheduling, you could go more often. 4 easy wins with KY and OM on the schedule every year. Pick up a win over Aub/Arky/SC/GA/Florida/Vandy every now and then and you are just about guaranteed a 6-6 season each year. Screw playing WV, Oregon, GT, etc. Templeton bulls--t

Don't forget that for a long time, going .500 or even having a winning record didn't guarantee a bowl. It's only the last few years where there are nearly as many bowl bids as teams...

Yes, I should have said these facts aren't accurate because of that and the fact that early on there were no bowls. The main point (that 99% of posters on here with 1 exception can understand) remains.

Yes, I should have said these facts aren't accurate because of that and the fact that early on there were no bowls. The main point (that 99% of posters on here with 1 exception can understand) remains.

Dude, just admit you are obsessed with me. This is getting out of hand. BLS, give out a warning or something to these trolls.

No offense, but Starkville isn't really a place a ton of big time recruits are dying to go regardless of how good the program is. Tough be labeled as a 'great' recruiter when you pulling kids to the middle of Mississippi.

No offense, but Starkville isn't really a place a ton of big time recruits are dying to go regardless of how good the program is. Tough be labeled as a 'great' recruiter when you pulling kids to the middle of Mississippi.

BETTER WATCH YO MOUTH. THIS IS OUR STATE AND WE ARE SPREADING THE FUN

That's definitely a hurdle and I know you meant nothing about it... but when's the last time you visited Starkville or the MSU campus? Just an honest question. I can think of several equal/worse college towns with equal/better football programs. Stark/MSU isn't even the same place as it was when I was a freshman in 2006.

It's sure enough not the same place it was when I was a freshman in 2001...

The fact is that it doesn't matter if he's the greatest recruiter in NCAA football. It's the locations lack of appeal. The programs lack of appeal.

Like i've said before, top talent doesn't want to help drive the train to Atlanta, most are lazy and want to jump on the easy ride to the SECCG and BCSCG with the likes of LSU, UA, UGA, etc.

Starkville IMO, is a nice campus, but location is lacking. I'm not saying that it is any more or less crappy than say Tuscaloosa, but i also would say that Tuscaloosa isn't the Ritz Carlton either.

First I've heard of it. If he does, we'll hire Hudspeth and keep right on trucking.

That's definitely a hurdle and I know you meant nothing about it... but when's the last time you visited Starkville or the MSU campus? Just an honest question. I can think of several equal/worse college towns with equal/better football programs. Stark/MSU isn't even the same place as it was when I was a freshman in 2006.

Honestly, I've never been. I've heard really great things about the campus. I've also heard "meh" about the surrounding area. The main point of my post is just that he's facing an uphill battle there. Even the name Starkville doesn't churn out the most beautiful imagery.

Granted, like others have said, is it much worse than Tuscaloosa or Gainesville? Probably not. Tuscaloosa has the winning tradition though. And Gainesville is Florida even though it's not even that Florida-y of a city.

Did I just read the argument that Mullen got us to a bowl this year too, so we should be happy? Every coach in the conference except Joker, Dooley, and Nutt got their team to a bowl. Hardly the gold standard.

The fact is that it doesn't matter if he's the greatest recruiter in NCAA football.

What happens if he's the worst?

What happens if he's the worst?

See 2004-2008 for answer to previous question.

I have a serious question for my fellow dawgs. How can you be so naive as to think we can let mullen go and be fine? For one thing I love the attitude Mullen brought to MSU. For the first time in my life,well since Jackie to us took the sec championship, I have felt we stood a chance in every single game we played. As Mullen made stupid decisions that I don't agree with? Yes! Has Mullen made paly calls that made me scream in anger? Yes! Has Mullen owned TSUN since he got here? YES!! I think Mullen has been great to this school and I don't want him to leave and have to start over so quickly. Call me a Mullenite or whatever ,but I remeber Maine,I remeber 45-0 croom days ,and I don't want to go back to that ever.

I have a serious question for my fellow dawgs. How can you be so naive as to think we can let mullen go and be fine?

I don't know that we will be fine but life goes on. I trust Stricklin to go out and hire a replacement who fits MSU and who will be as good or better on the field...

If Mullen's smart, he doesn't go to Penn State,

Granted, like others have said, is it much worse than Tuscaloosa or Gainesville? Probably not. Tuscaloosa has the winning tradition though. And Gainesville is Florida even though it's not even that Florida-y of a city.

Wait, I thought there were only white sandy beaches and palm trees in Florida?

I LOL when people come here and realize that 90% of the state is farms and groves.

I have a serious question for my fellow dawgs. How can you be so naive as to think we can let mullen go and be fine? For one thing I love the attitude Mullen brought to MSU. For the first time in my life,well since Jackie to us took the sec championship, I have felt we stood a chance in every single game we played. As Mullen made stupid decisions that I don't agree with? Yes! Has Mullen made paly calls that made me scream in anger? Yes! Has Mullen owned TSUN since he got here? YES!! I think Mullen has been great to this school and I don't want him to leave and have to start over so quickly. Call me a Mullenite or whatever ,but I remeber Maine,I remeber 45-0 croom days ,and I don't want to go back to that ever.

Or Troy. Or Tulane. Or Jackie's later years. I guess we shouldn't be happy to go to a bowl since anyone can get into them these days. ***

this stuff usually just rolls off the back so when/if mullen leaves, i feel 10 times better about our situation now than when mullen first got here...i dont want mullen to leave at all even though i wish he would hire an OC and ST coach...but im not going to freak out at every rumor EVERY YEAR...

Or Troy. Or Tulane. Or Jackie's later years. I guess we shouldn't be happy to go to a bowl since anyone can get into them these days. ***

I'm thrilled to go to a bowl but it means a lot more to go bowling for most of our history than it does now. Any Tom, Dick, and Harry can get into a bowl by scheduling patsies. Look guys, I like Mullen as much as the rest of you do, but he didn't do 2.65 million dollar work this year. Doesn't mean I want him fired, just means I expect more