• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

carwwest

Dish Network vs. DirecTV??

35 posts in this topic

Hey guys, the fiance and I are moving at the end of this month and will be getting either Dish Network or DirecTV...my question is which do yall prefer??...my parents have dish network and I used to have directv at my old apartment for a little while and I'm not sure which direction to go...at first glance, dish network seems to be the better deal money-wise...keep this in mind, there is a chance that we will be taking the dish to football games this year for tailgating so does that matter??..oh and apparently, the fiance says DVR is a must...never had it myself so i dont know...

thanks..

People that have Dish will say Dish, people that have Direct will say Direct. I've had both, and they're pretty interchangeable to me. I like Dish Network's functionality better than DirecTV, so that's why I have Dish.

Directv,s dvr is the best on the market. I had Directv for years and loved. The town I moved to has fiber optic internet and tv for a really good price hence I dropped directv.

RTR

NFL package is exclusive to Directv, that's the only reason I have it.

Don't even need to read the thread.....Directv all the way

I've had them both. Not much difference except I think Directv is better for sports. They both have absolutely horrible customer service. I have Dish now because it's bundled with my Windstream phone and data stuff. Otherwise I'd probably go with Directv.

Ive got Direct and love it but I have no basis of comparison...............from what I understand as someone mentioned above, that Direct has better/more sports packages

I got dish a few months back. I like the free local channels. My sports package is fine. We got two dvr's out of the deal and they seem fine enough. It also came with two wireless dvrs for other tvs. That makes 4 tvs on dvrs and each can record individually being set up from one remote control at one tv. They send us a code for a free movie every few weeks. If you know somebody on dish tell dish they sent you. Then you and them get a $50 credit for you going on line. I know you can make friends with somebody long enough to get a fiddy dollar credik.

have not been on direct tv for 16 years so i cant say about them. i will say hd is free for life on dish.

also, I wouldnt use the dvr that direct provides, I would separately buy a TiVo..............TiVo is da s--t

also, I wouldnt use the dvr that direct provides, I would separately buy a TiVo..............TiVo is da s--t

TiVo is for faggs.

RTR

Had both. Dish all the way. Just something about Direct that always pissed me off.

best advice i can give is pull both's web pages up. compare. call the ask questions number and ask them both the same questions.

Had both. Dish all the way. Just something about Direct that always pissed me off.

Direct pissed me off when I couldn't get the 4 room upgrade with DVR because I was an existing customer. Of course, I bought the damn dish for a grand back when Arkansas was one of the beta test sites and had been paying the bastards for 12 years. I cancelled 5 minutes after getting off the phone with them and called Dish. Of course I had someone call me back the next day apologizing and wanting to keep my business. Too late.

Dish pissed me off about 5 years later. I got divorced and moved to an apt. where they didn't allow satellite tv. Dish said no problem, we will send you some boxes to mail back the receiver and pieces off the dish. I go out of town for a conference, get back, and UPS had tried to deliver the boxes 3 times and sent them back. I happen to go online and look at my account to see that Dish had taken around 800 dollars from it without even so much as a phone call. They didn't credit it back until 2 weeks after I boxed up the stuff and paid to send it myself. The people on the phone were the biggest jerks I'd ever spoken with. I wouldn't use them now if not for the Windstream package deal.

DirectTV... and if having a TivO makes you a fag then you can call me Elton John.

Directv,s dvr is the best on the market. I had Directv for years and loved. The town I moved to has fiber optic internet and tv for a really good price hence I dropped directv.

RTR

I've had both Direct and Dish too & this is a fact...the DVR for DirecTV is so far and away superior to Dish's, it's not even funny. We had to replace the DVR on Dish every so often because when it failed, it fubar'd the receiver so we'd be without TV at all until they sent over a new one.

Direct was great for a long time too but we finally had to cave and switch to cable because the price for Direct was getting real close to $100/month and I couldn't justify it anymore. I needed cable modem to work from home as often as I do so I kinda painted myself into a corner on the choice to switch.

DirecTV has more satellites than Dish Network so you'll get a lot fewer signal interruptions due to weather. Dish also broke some trademark of TiVo with the DVR they were using and I'm not sure if they've yet to figure that snafu out but DirecTV's sucks cuz you can't watch whatever you've recorded in any room but the one that has the DVR. I suppose you could have a DVR in every room but eff that...

Comcast sucks though, I can say that with certainty....by far the worst setup of the three. I pretty much stream 90% of what I watch through my Xbox - I only use Comcast TV for sports.

good stuff...thanks for the opinions...i do remember liking the sports aspect of directv much more than dish but i did like the interface and speed of dish network more...

what about setting up at games??...which is easier??...

I would go with cable if at all possible in case you want to watch tv when its raining. Ya know the time you can't go outside and do anything else? I have direct now but really miss my bundled charter with tv, phone, and internet.... nothing pisses me off more than getting interested in something and the tv scramble.

I prefer Direct.....I love my Whole Home DVR, yes you can watch in ANY room what you recorded from one DVR....it's great, plenty of Sports Channels, NFL HD, NBA HD, MLB HD, NHL HD, NASCAR Hot Pass....and I think Direct had just a tad bit better Picture Quality...at least that's what I could tell from my Buddie's Dish setup. I have the Choice Xtra pkg. with the HD extra pack (Palladia, Sony HD, HDNET Movies, Universal HD, MGM HD, and 5 other channels I can't think of that are movie channels, it's $5 xtra but worth it.). I've recorded at least 25 concerts in the past 4 months...so those are loading up on my DVR lol, HDNET, Palladia and Audience Channel on Directv are great for concerts.

I also like the Directv Cinema...if your DVR receiver is hooked up to your internet, they have over 6000 movies you can download to your DVR in HD/ DD 5.1, some are free and others you pay for. It's a nice feature, good enough that I'm thinking about cancelling my Netflix acct.. I've got all the Fox Sports networks, SunSports etc.., like others have said, Direct is great for Sports...

Lastly, on Directv's Audience HD channel (it's a Directv ONLY channel), they have a great series called 'Damages'....Glenn Close, John Goodman, etc. are in it....in fact tonight is the premiere of the fourth season. Ultimately it's up to you and the channel lineup for either company that suits y'all the best..............I still think Direct is the better deal and BTW, you get HD for life free with Direct too...same as Dish, both companies require you to do 'AutoPay'....don't let anyone fool you on that.

I would go with cable if at all possible in case you want to watch tv when its raining. Ya know the time you can't go outside and do anything else? I have direct now but really miss my bundled charter with tv, phone, and internet.... nothing pisses me off more than getting interested in something and the tv scramble.

it might've been awhile since you've had direct but I've only had television affected by rain twice in 6 years and that was just during the time it was coming down in sheets with a completely black sky........where when I had cable it went out 3 times a month

it might've been awhile since you've had direct but I've only had television affected by rain twice in 6 years and that was just during the time it was coming down in sheets with a completely black sky........where when I had cable it went out 3 times a month

must have been a while.. Charter goes out of service more than it works around here

Directv is much better in the area of reliabilty in the modern era. And yes, you are a fagg if you pay for Tivo.

RTR

I recently had to do a bunch of homework on the choice. Went with Dish; Direct was way too expensive. The DVR is definitely very cool; I already have 250 movies recorded on it. Their multi-sport package includes NFL RedZone, NFL Network, NBA TV, NHL Network, Big Ten Network, Fox Soccer Channel, Fuel TV, all the ESPN's, and 25 local sports networks for 7 bucks.

To have my current channels on Directv, my bill would be about $50 a month higher the last time I compared prices.

hahahahaha

People still use satellite dishes to get their TV

hahahhahahahaha