• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NextYearIsHere

Grad School Advice

7 posts in this topic

I'm finally doing something that has been a goal for me since I finished college in '07. I'm starting my Teaching Masters at Coastal Carolina in 2 weeks and I couldn't be more excited. I know some of our posters are in/have finished grad school so I figured I'd ask for any advice you may have.

Thanks

I'm finishing up right now. You will have zero free time Sunday through Thursday. I've had to study 30+ hours for a single test on multiple occasions plus long term papers and 20 plus minute presentations. I've just viewed it as a challenge to were losing is not an option. That's whats worked the best for me when studying long hours. You just have to dig deep and do whatever it takes to get through. A year or two is a small price to pay for future success and options that piece of paper will possibly supply. It isn't easy but you will get through...but only if you are determined to do so.

Almost every class I had in grad school they graded on a curve. That sucked cause if everybody makes an A then the lowest A became an F. I needed something nobody else had. In the library there is a book called synopsis of disertations. Put it on reserve and keep it put on reserve. That way even a teacher can't get it out of the library. On subjects you think discussion questions will be asked go to that book and find something that was not mentioned in class or your book to add to your answer.

If you don't mind me asking, what grad programs did you guys do? I'm going for my Masters in Teaching (High school Social Studies) and I'm wondering what to really expect. From what I understand, a Teaching Masters is tough, but not nearly the ball buster that some programs and MBA's can be

I'm just finishing up undergrad, but from what people have told me, grad school is a rigorous task. Most schools won't even accept you unless you have 2+ work experience. If what GR says is true about exams and presentations, I'll be fine. I'm a natural test taker and breeze through presentations. Don't doubt yourself and just go with it. More than likely, you'll be in classes with people more experienced than you so take advantage and learn from them. Good luck buddy.

Listen carefully to bbqit because he is an Oxford grad.

If you don't mind me asking, what grad programs did you guys do? I'm going for my Masters in Teaching (High school Social Studies) and I'm wondering what to really expect. From what I understand, a Teaching Masters is tough, but not nearly the ball buster that some programs and MBA's can be