• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TechTiger

Louisiana House votes mandatory drug test for Welfare recipients

80 posts in this topic

WOOO WOOO GEAUX LOUISIANA

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) - The Louisiana House has voted to approve a Metairie lawmaker's bill to require drug testing of welfare recipients who get cash benefits.

Republican John LaBruzzo says the bill would help people to get jobs, since many employers require drug tests.

The bill received the support of 65 lawmakers, over half of the chamber. The bill also gained co-authors, bringing the total to six, but not before prompting a heated debate.

Several lawmakers said a similar bill passed in Michigan was overturned by the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which does not control courts in Louisiana.

Others argued the bill unfairly assumed that people receiving welfare take drugs. Rep. Regina Barrow, D-Baton Rouge, said former Metairie Rep. and longtime Klu Klux Klan leader David Duke introduced a similar bill.

La. House votes to mandate drug tests for welfare - New Orleans News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - FOX 8 Live WVUE-TV Channel 8

What all dreauxgs will they be testing for?

Everyone who is angered by this bill is on welfare and a drug user.

Everyone who is angered by this bill is on welfare and a drug user.

Exactly, there is no reason to be upset if you don't use drugs.

Exactly, there is no reason to be upset if you don't use drugs.

or pay for your own

Of course we all believe welfare recipients take drugs.

I don't, but I do know that a large percentage of them take advantage of it instead of using at a tempurary help while they get back on their feet.

Not all, but I certainly wouldnt mind seeing the ones who do having their free money taken away from them

Not all, but I certainly wouldnt mind seeing the ones who do having their free money taken away from them

and beaten.

Don't know about take but probably deal. Its mighty odd to drive by the projects and see better cars than what I drive parked out front....

Don't know about take but probably deal. Its mighty odd to drive by the projects and see better cars than what I drive parked out front....

My comment was meant to be tongue in cheek,but you guys are right.Most probably don't do drugs but like nova said dealing is another matter.

When they had the paper food stamps it was easier to convert to cash.The card helped in that matter.

The thing that waters me off the most is guys with very good paying jobs not getting married to the mother of their children and living together and buying their baskets full of groceries with food stamps.I've seen this on a couple of occasions.

i don't like welfare abuse either but do you realize how you sound?

To me he sounds like a guy who has worked hard for what he has and wonders how those who he supports with his tax dollars can drive a nicer vehicle than he can.I wonder the same thing.

Like an Angry American??

Bravo to Louisiana for doing this... it should already be law in all 50 states. Can't tell you how many welfare recipients I deal with on a daily basis who are abusing the system.

I sound like a guy who pretty regularly passes by the housing projects only to see fairly new Cadillacs, Lexus's and Mercedes parked out front. There's not all that many professions that provide enough under the table income for that kind of hardware. Dealing and hooking are about it....

Bravo to Louisiana for doing this... it should already be law in all 50 states. Can't tell you how many welfare recipients I deal with on a daily basis who are abusing the system.

Out of curiosity what do you do?

Out of curiosity what do you do?

Short term, high risk loans.

I know you are trying to say he sounds racist. Only problem with that is what he said is totally true. I've seen it myself. Cars worth $50,000+ sitting in the projects or in front of a house worth half the car's value.

Another thing I see all the time is illegal aliens at Wal Mart dividing their items into two stacks when they check out. One stack is food which is paid for with the govt. Debit card, the other stack is clothes, electronins and a other items. When it comes time to pay for thes items, out comes a wad od $20's about the same thickness as a coke can. And that's not something that I've only seen once or twice. It's something I see virtually everytime I'm in there.

Geaux Louisiana. Now maybe the rest of the US picks up on this.

Speaking of:

It is setting a dangerous precedent. While I don't hate it and like the spirit of the law, where does it end? Should we drug test kids getting scholarships and government loans? What about all college kids going to public schools? Cause a lot of those kids aren't minorities, so some might cry racism. What about people catching an unemployment check? What about people getting kind of tax credits? What about state and federal employees? Where does it end?

Welfare reform is needed, but this isn't it. This is a law that makes White People feel better while not addressing the real problem. I doubt it even catches a sizable amount of folks