JohnRambo

SECTalk.com Weigh In

3,301 posts in this topic

I've always been told that swimming isn't great for losing weight.
Nope, I'm serious.

Michael Phelps eats 12,000 calories a day during training season. It is impossible to retain fat if you're swimming regularly.

The Michael Phelps Diet: Don’t Try It at Home - Health Blog - WSJ

5'9", anywhere from 150 to 155 lbs. I got the exact opposite problem as most of you fellas on here... I literally couldn't get fat if I sat around and ate cookies and potato chips all day long because I have such a fast metabolism. I'm looking to add a protein supplement to my workout. Would like to gain about 15 lbs of mass and keep it for a change.

I have trouble keeping weight on too.

I started lifting and added whey protein shakes immediately afterwards.

I put on weight fast, and while I'm not as cut as when I was swimming, I'm a lot bigger.

I bought a book called "Muscle Chow". It's got a lot of cooking options that are high calorie, low fat meals.

That's what made the biggest difference for me.

6'1

I gained a ton post-high school football, topping out at 280. Got down to about 230, went to Korea, and Kimchi'ed my ass down to 205. The last 2 months have been all partying and no working out, but I'm back on track now and I am losing about 2 lbs a week with running and joining the local Planet Fitness. Goal weight is 199. I haven't been under 200 lbs since middle school.

Someone needs to start a thread for Before and After pictures. Something like a "Men's Health Belly Off Club"

Also, I'm calling BS on SECTALK having all these posters be 6'1+

I am 6'3" but I am starting to wonder about all these heights as well. We may just have some big bastards on this site, but I feel like very rarely do I meet people that I'm not a couple inches taller than.

I've also been on the MyFitnessPal fad lately. My problem is that I severely rolled my ankle St. Patty's Day (no idea how), let it heal, ran a 5K Saturday and can barely put weight on it now. I guess that puts me on the elliptical now (which I friggin hate). Makes me feel like a sorostitute. At least my butt will look good.

Okay, I may be 6' .5" feet tall but I'm rounding up to 6'1" damn it.

Same here, if I remember correctly the average height of an American man is like 5'9-5'10. I highly doubt we have 20+ guys taller than 6'1

I am 6'3" but I am starting to wonder about all these heights as well. We may just have some big bastards on this site, but I feel like very rarely do I meet people that I'm not a couple inches taller than.

Haha, I'm 6'1 and an usually taller than everyone.

I work with two guys who are 6'5 and 6'8 though!

Same here, if I remember correctly the average height of an American man is like 5'9-5'10. I highly doubt we have 20+ guys taller than 6'1

All the males on my dad's side of the family are around 5'10 while all the males on my mom's side are 6'3...I'm stuck in the middle.

6' 4" 205lbs

I'm happy with the weight but I have a gut/spare tire that I'm trying to get rid of. I really hate ab workouts

5' 11"

I'd be happy plus or minus 10 lbs as long as I lean up. Gotta burn some fat and build some muscle

Gotta consider most guys who would be interested in this place are probably former athletes themselves in some form or fashion. I'd wager the vast majority of us played basketball, football, or baseball at least through high school. I guess soccer counts here too....though that really wouldn't fit into the whole being tall argument I guess.

Also, I'm calling BS on SECTALK having all these posters be 6'1+

Haha everyone's listing their heights like a college football media guide. I am 6'1" for real though.

Haha, I'm 6'1 and an usually taller than everyone.

I work with two guys who are 6'5 and 6'8 though!

Yeah tell me about it, two of my best friends are 6'8 and 6'6 they make me look short. haha

lmao @ the media guide height. I'm 6 ft on the $. Average height for most dudes I'd say.

5'10" and 175-177. Like Chalk and Hobnails, I am a firm believer in myfitnesspal. Maintaining a food diary is a major step in losing weight.

Anyway, I'm down from a high of 220 from a couple years back and am about to run in a half marathon here in Nashville in a little less than two weeks. I'm pretty proud of myself. I still indulge, but I make sure to follow those times up with a good run.

I'm proud of you Nando, and anyone who can run a half. Most folks don't realize the level of commitment it takes to run a half marathon, let alone a full. My first half marathon was incredible, and you're gonnnna love the s--t out of it. Congrats bro, you deserve it.

Gotta consider most guys who would be interested in this place are probably former athletes themselves in some form or fashion. I'd wager the vast majority of us played basketball, football, or baseball at least through high school. I guess soccer counts here too....though that really wouldn't fit into the whole being tall argument I guess.

bingo.....while I played football thru my junior year, Hoops was always my sport...........hell, three of my best friends are 6'5

^ This. I honestly don't think anybody on here would lie about their height. It's not like 6'0-6'3 makes you some sort of giant. Hell, I'm 6'1 and when I'm around my friend who is 6'5 I feel like a midget. I can't gain weight no matter what I do. I could probably eat McDonald's three meals a day for a week and I'd gain maybe a pound.

Yeh, you boys are some giants. Seeing guys over 6'2" on a regular daily basis is not as common as you might think, it's the exception and not the norm. Most of the guys I hang out with are just under 6 ft or right at 6 ft. Only a handful are above 6'2".

I played baseball from when I was 5 to when I was about 17...outfielder. I played soccer for two years when I was a little tyke but I didn't know what the hell I was doing most of the time. Never played hoops 'cept in the driveway and never played football 'cept in the backyard. Didn't have the size for either one.

You're a smart man...that makes sense

6'1" 252 lbs

I'm like quite a few guys on here. Fat kid who got up to 240 before college. Lost a ton of weight and was at 185 for quite awhile. I've gained it all back the last five years.

Lately I've been A LOT better about eating healthier food and less in every meal. I'm finally getting used to drinking mostly water too. I'm just starting to run again now though (as in this weekend). So as of now I've only lost 8 lbs from my peak, but I definitely feel a whole lot better.

My overall goal is to be a strong and fit 195-200. I'm seeing a lot of my old college buddies the last week of July so my short term goal is to get around 220 by then. In 6 weeks I'll have a chance to sign up for a gym with a big pool and that'll certainly help.

I've taken dumps bigger than that.

It's not my fault. I can't gain weight, lol. :(

Guess that's a good problem to have though.

Yeh, you boys are some giants. Seeing guys over 6'2" on a regular daily basis is not as common as you might think, it's the exception and not the norm. Most of the guys I hang out with are just under 6 ft or right at 6 ft. Only a handful are above 6'2".

I played baseball from when I was 5 to when I was about 17...outfielder. I played soccer for two years when I was a little tyke but I didn't know what the hell I was doing most of the time. Never played hoops 'cept in the driveway and never played football 'cept in the backyard. Didn't have the size for either one.

I played ice hockey, soccer, football, baseball, lacrosse, basketball, wrestling, and golf growing up. I never didn't looked fit until I moved to interior defensive line for football 2 years ago. Trying to get back to that point now.

i read an article recently Omaha that made alot of sense but sounds strange.....it said that if weight loss is your goal, to consider dieting...watching calories without working out, then once you've lost the bulk of what you wanna lose then begin working out to maintain and/or become a lil more defined

the thinking is that working out increases your appetite so you can actually gain weight....also after a workout often people think they can "reward" themself, so they eat a 600 calorie burger that negates the 250 calories they just lost x 3

It's not my fault. I can't gain weight, lol. :(

Guess that's a good problem to have though.

Give it time TRB I was the same way until i turned 23. Sucks not being able to put on muscle. When i did the girls did notice.

played baseball. Had a very very decent arm for a lefty. Torn UCL and done.

Edited by AUskip07

I played ice hockey, soccer, football, baseball, lacrosse, basketball, wrestling, and golf growing up. I never didn't looked fit until I moved to interior defensive line for football 2 years ago. Trying to get back to that point now.

Damn, you related to Bo?

Two of my best friends growing up were die-hard hockey players. That's one sport I never tried that I thought would've been cool to give it a shot.