• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Noah

Florida spring game bombs

31 posts in this topic

GatorU was right. I actually would have paid $5 to see this.

Will Brantley still be the starter come fall, are there any other true viable contenders?

Will Brantley still be the starter come fall, are there any other true viable contenders?

They've got that incoming freshman who is pretty good, but Brantley will likely be the starter. He didn't have a great day, but supposedly a lot of it was due to his OL not giving him a good pocket to throw in. May be something to watch this Fall.

They've got that incoming freshman who is pretty good, but Brantley will likely be the starter. He didn't have a great day, but supposedly a lot of it was due to his OL not giving him a good pocket to throw in. May be something to watch this Fall.

I don't have the exact numbers, but read that something like 17 scholarship players didn't play in the game. Also, I know Muschamp joked about the fact that he may have to fill in on the o-line because we have so many injuries there so I am hoping that is the case. It definitely wasn't what fans were wanting to watch, but at the same time it's still early and we knew totally changing offenses would take some time.

We pretty much have the lineup in place already:

RSR John Brantley

RFR Tyler Murphey

FR Jeff Driskel

SO Christian Provancha

The offensive line was horrendous for Brantley once again. It was awful last year, and while I'm starting to feel like John probably isn't going to win us too many games, I have no doubt he can be for us what John Parker Wilson was for Alabama a couple of years ago.

That's of course, assuming we can have a respectable O-Line.

I think I counted 2 or 3 passes batted down at the line of scrimmage.

what did JPW do for us that you are referring to?

He was a good game manager.

While I can't think of an instance (maybe one game against LSU or Auburn?) where he was the best player on the field, he sure as heck didn't lose any games for you guys.

We don't need Brantley to be an All-American. He just needs to be servicable.

Well, for one thing, John Parker Wilson always knew where his primary receivers were.

And after one thousand and one, so did everyone else.

what did JPW do for us that you are referring to?

After the game CWM said Brantley's performance wasn't at all indicative of how he's played all spring, and went ahead and named Brantley the starter based off what he's already seen. Muschamp's remarks:

“I’m pleased with his [brantley’s] performance all spring. He’s been consistent but he also has to have better people around to help him and that starts with our offensive line.” Muschamp says that for now, at least, Brantley is his starter.

Hopefully some OL and RB injuries will heal up and we can get a better look at what the offense can really do.

We had so few RB's (1) available for the game that a backup DB who played some RB in high school filled in... and ran pretty well, too. That can't have helped the protection either. On the bright side, Murphy looked a lot better at QB than anybody thought he would, and so did the 6'6" walk-on from Cocoa Beach, Christian Provancha. So, add Driskel and Brissett, and we have ample depth at QB if Brantley struggles.

The projected QB depth chart, according to Franz Beard, is:

1. John Brantley (6-3, 225, SR)

Career stats --- 254-405 (62.7%); 2,706 yards; 19 touchdowns and 11 interceptions; efficiency rating 128.89

2. Tyler Murphy (6-2, 193, RFR)

3. Jeff Driskel (6-4, 238, FR)

4. Jacoby Brissett (6-5, 230, FR)

5. Christian Provancha (6'6", 215, SO)

He was a good game manager.

While I can't think of an instance (maybe one game against LSU or Auburn?) where he was the best player on the field, he sure as heck didn't lose any games for you guys.

We don't need Brantley to be an All-American. He just needs to be servicable.

2007 against LSU. He was pretty effective handing the ball off in 2008 though ;)

Its alright.... how about their running game? oh wait.

Its alright.... how about their running game? oh wait.

JPW had a running game to rely on especially in 2008.

Brantley should have a running game, too... and will probably need it. None of the injuries will keep the RB's out past the fall. Rainey has been the best player on the field all Spring, and has been playing primarily at RB. Demps will be back after T&F is over. Gillislee, Mack Brown, and Mike Blakely will all be ready in the next couple of months.

Brantley should have a running game, too... and will probably need it. None of the injuries will keep the RB's out past the fall. Rainey has been the best player on the field all Spring, and has been playing primarily at RB. Demps will be back after T&F is over. Gillislee, Mack Brown, and Mike Blakely will all be ready in the next couple of months.

Yeah, I'm not worried about our running game at all. Especially after Murphy replaces Brantley in game 4. ;)

Aw man, I'm still pulling for Brantley!

He could be the hometown hero and it would be a real great feel-good story if he can even play decently.

He could be the hometown hero and it would be a real great feel-good story if he can even play decently.

I am too. Just having a lil fun.....

I can't imagine Brantley at QB this Fall...he's always been good in practice...he's always been good in mop-up duty...but when the game is on his shoulders...when there's actually a crowd watching, Brantley is horrible...he's a Senior...he's not going to "all the sudden" grow a pair and become the QB we need him to be. He's a Senior...why waste a season on a player that ain't gonna be here next season...get Driskell or one of the others ready for 2012.

I'm no "negative nelly"...but I just don't see how we can be successful with Brantley behind center.

John Brantley is Florida's equivalent of Joe Tereshinski III.

This...

The difference is Brantley has had a lot more hype. A lot of people expected him to step into to Tebow's shoes and continue UF's run. Who would have guessed he had trouble making a 15 yard pass.

I know the oline struggled last year for UF. As a Gamecock fan I understand what that can do to a QB. But Brantley's issues are a lot more than just the oline. There were a number of games he had time to throw and just couldn't do it.

I can't imagine Brantley at QB this Fall...he's always been good in practice...he's always been good in mop-up duty...but when the game is on his shoulders...when there's actually a crowd watching, Brantley is horrible...he's a Senior...he's not going to "all the sudden" grow a pair and become the QB we need him to be. He's a Senior...why waste a season on a player that ain't gonna be here next season...get Driskell or one of the others ready for 2012.

I'm no "negative nelly"...but I just don't see how we can be successful with Brantley behind center.

Murphy will probably see the field before Driskell.