Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bluelightstar

Mississippi State Recruiting Thread

4,451 posts in this topic

looks pretty average to me...

Somebody said he runs like a 4.36........Yeah, I'm doubtin' it. Looks like a dime a dozen to me as well.

no chance he runs a 4.3 and know what, im almost tired of all these "legit" 4.3's and 4.4's coming out of high school...only the elite run in the 4.3's and 4.4's in the nfl combine so i just look at the highlights, watch the moves and look at the offer sheet...

any recent news? what do yall think the needs are as of the end of next season? id say (in no particular order) de (although we are still ok), cb, wr (prolly the most important, but we need to pick up at least one very solid guy), qb (who knows what we have at this point), and rb (again, who knows what we have)

any recent news? what do yall think the needs are as of the end of next season? id say (in no particular order) de (although we are still ok), cb, wr (prolly the most important, but we need to pick up at least one very solid guy), qb (who knows what we have at this point), and rb (again, who knows what we have)

TIGHT END, TIGHT END, TIGHT END. You name me any top 10 cfb team and they have an elite TE. I want a TE. Mullen was a TE, so why can't we have one?

But I think our main goals in recruiting this next class is DE, LB (look to get some instant impact players out of JUCO), WR, QB, and RB. We lose Berry next year and he's going to hurt more than people realize. I think we're going to be solid in secondary for a while but I still expect to offer a CB. QB, nuff said. And RB, I'm not sold on any RB's, but that being said I DO see potential in Perkins and Conner.

i think next year's class will be another real balanced class but definitely grab a JUCO LB and probably DE...do we have any shot at leon mackey??...WR as usual, RB has potential...

i do think we sign a pretty good TE in this class... i dont think mullen cant recruit a TE as much as i dont think its been a pressing need...green should have a big year and still has another one after this year...cook still has 2 more years but is more of a blocking TE...i think we have a good shot at daniel knox and isnt there still a chance with that clontz kid who is committed to tulsa??...

I've heard Knox may move to offensive tackle in the event that he does sign with us. Jervoahnte Riles looks pretty likely to end up at tight end.

Green has good hands, but you're kidding yourself if you think he's that great. He's just a short stuby WR. I've heard Mullen say it in passing several times about how he wants a TE. We pick up one and he redshirts a year while Green finishes up his senior season.

I don't know what to expect out of the 2011 class. I guess we have the benefit of knowing no one is going to leave early.

i made the inquiry with the assumption that we had cj johnson in the bag along with redmond, whitehead, and the others, but i should have them included in the fold....(nothing is a sure thing/we r msu)...forgot about tight end...green is a jr so it might behoove us to get ready to fill that spot soon. he has remarkably great hands for his size. should be interesting to see what mullen can do as far as te goes. i think our best defensive recruiting tool will be an aggressive minded d coordinator in diaz. back when joe lee dunn was in charge, players came for the aggressive style...hope we can replicate that and sustain the aggression, but this time, lets mix in some non-blitzing plays every now and then.

Recruiting By Position

1. QB - you can never have enough quarterbacks on roster. We probably sign 2, maybe 3 in this class: Broderick Hall likely commits to us and maybe we'll luck out and get another good one.

2. RB - We got a commit out of Devante Scott out of Louisiana, and I think he plays RB in college so we'll see. Honestly not sure what we're doing with the RB position for 2011, though I imagine it's not that high a priority right now.

3. WR - Yes, oh my, yes. I think we need to sign 3-4, and it'd be nice to land one of the top WR prospects on the board. We definitely need bodies though.

4. TE - Daniel Knox looks to be a good prospect, but the question is whether or not he plays tight end in college. Jervoahnte Riles looks more like a tight end.

5. LB - We have needs at linebacker. Priority #1: Maintain CJ Johnson's commitment. Priority #2: Sign some more. We lose KJ Wright and Chris White and I think we need impact folks.

There's still a lot we have to do in terms of building depth, and I look for this class to center on that.

Like I said, expect JUCO players, and expect them every year. That's our biggest strength. Mississippi JUCO programs are the best in the country and produce NFL players on the reg. If we can keep them loyal I have no problem seeing players for 2 years at at time. EMCC, MGCCC, ICC... they're all spread offenses. That's where Sherrill received most of his success.

And just to make sure we're all up to date on commits:

Commits (5/17/2010)

1. C.J. Johnson - MLB (4*/6-1/220)

2. Nick Redmond - OT (3*/6-5/292)

3. Jermaine Whitehead - CB (3*/6-0/183)

4. Devonte Scott - RB (NR/5-11/181/4.50)

5. Zachary Jackson - S (NR/6-1/203/4.53)

Like I said, expect JUCO players, and expect them every year. That's our biggest strength. Mississippi JUCO programs are the best in the country and produce NFL players on the reg. If we can keep them loyal I have no problem seeing players for 2 years at at time. EMCC, MGCCC, ICC... they're all spread offenses. That's where Sherrill received most of his success.

And if I recall correctly, it's also where he received a good bit of his undoing

And if I recall correctly, it's also where he received a good bit of his undoing

Correct for both of you. He was successful with JUCOs until he relied too heavily on them in a couple of classes and they shat the bed.

Also, I do not like signing any safety named Zach ever again. I already hate this kid.

frat guy, how do you not think green will have a good year now that we have somebody throwing the ball and inexperienced WR's??....i agree he isnt a true TE with his height but he has decent speed and has great hands...he doesnt have to be a jared cook, but as long as he can catch those 5-10 yard patterns, he will be pretty good this year...

Correct for both of you. He was successful with JUCOs until he relied too heavily on them in a couple of classes and they shat the bed.

Also, I do not like signing any safety named Zach ever again. I already hate this kid.

I think this is a consensus agreement. Yes to JUCO players as long as we limit it. Guys like Carmon, McPhee, Berry, and others are musts. A lot of these guys just don't make grades and even more than that get under-scouted at the high school level, which we all know is something that happens all too often in Mississippi.

And Zach safties can burn in hell.

frat guy, how do you not think green will have a good year now that we have somebody throwing the ball and inexperienced WR's??....i agree he isnt a true TE with his height but he has decent speed and has great hands...he doesnt have to be a jared cook, but as long as he can catch those 5-10 yard patterns, he will be pretty good this year...

As far as pass-catching goes, I do think Marcus Green will have a great year.

Actually, I think Green is better in medium to even long yardage plays. His only play as a freshman was for 50 yards and last year you saw a lot of his highlight reel come from ~20 yards. His weight is his best advantage because he just bumps the DB out of the way... like I've said, a fat WR.

I think he'll have a good year, but he's just not a TE. 5-10 yard pass plays you'll see from Ballard, Elliot, Perkins, Bumphis, and any of the army of 5'11'' WR's we have (I like this MGCCC walk-on too, I think his name is Gundy... and speaking of him, we picked up another WR walk-on I really like too. Both of them had a tremendous spring.)

the gundy or grandy guy, is that the guy who had a few catches from the spring game??...who is the other guy you are talking about??...also, i expect michael carr to get a lot of PT this year...

Jamal Gandy. Yeah he looked good in the spring game.

the gundy or grandy guy, is that the guy who had a few catches from the spring game??...who is the other guy you are talking about??...also, i expect michael carr to get a lot of PT this year...

I'm not sure, they never updated the roster that they gave out at spring practice. He was the guy in WR drills who wore I THINK number 88 and looked better than anyone else.

But Gandy, he's going to be good. My friend played TE at Perk with him and said he's the fastest guy he knows (not just fast, but quick on his feet and decision make skills) but said he has ball-handling issues, which was what kept him from receiving an offer from any big schools. I expect him to be a consistent player, not starter, but consistent player.

Scout had him at a 4.4 at the Oxford scouting combine his senior year in high school and Perk says he ran a 4.35 at his departure, but I don't see these being true if he can't even get an offer from USM. Usually teams are willing to take chances on guys with bad ball-handling if they run those speeds. They can always move to DB.

High school:

Jamel Gandy - Harrison Ce - Rivals.com Video

TIGHT END, TIGHT END, TIGHT END. You name me any top 10 cfb team and they have an elite TE. I want a TE. Mullen was a TE, so why can't we have one?

But I think our main goals in recruiting this next class is DE, LB (look to get some instant impact players out of JUCO), WR, QB, and RB. We lose Berry next year and he's going to hurt more than people realize. I think we're going to be solid in secondary for a while but I still expect to offer a CB. QB, nuff said. And RB, I'm not sold on any RB's, but that being said I DO see potential in Perkins and Conner.

So, as an update, we're recruiting Daniel Knox, Jervohnte Riles, and Rufus Warren as tight ends. I'm not sure if Knox remains at TE whether he signs with us or not, while the other two look to be pretty solid bets as TE. We're waiting on a camp evaluation to decide whether or not to offer Warren I believe.

So, as an update, we're recruiting Daniel Knox, Jervohnte Riles, and Rufus Warren as tight ends. I'm not sure if Knox remains at TE whether he signs with us or not, while the other two look to be pretty solid bets as TE. We're waiting on a camp evaluation to decide whether or not to offer Warren I believe.

What is Knox waiting on? I think Riles is hoping Al or AU offer.

What is Knox waiting on? I think Riles is hoping Al or AU offer.

Knox is likely waiting to see how legitimate Alabama is after him, and Riles wants to camp and see what kind offers he gets.

ive heard good things about riles and i thought knox was strictly a TE, dont know anything about warren...but it is going to be interesting who we sign...anybody know anything about that kid thats committed to tulsa??...i thought we were recruiting him still and if i remember correctly, he is a pretty big guy...

but i still say, barring injury, green will be very good for us for the next 2 years, DESPITE his height and the fact he isnt a "true" TE....he will be a good player on our offense....

but just for fun, if paul crawford makes it to campus for us, i wonder if he gets a look...i know he was a pretty good bball guy so maybe he has hands...would be nice to have a 6'8 250 lbs TE going down the seam haha

ive heard good things about riles and i thought knox was strictly a TE, dont know anything about warren...but it is going to be interesting who we sign...anybody know anything about that kid thats committed to tulsa??...i thought we were recruiting him still and if i remember correctly, he is a pretty big guy...

but i still say, barring injury, green will be very good for us for the next 2 years, DESPITE his height and the fact he isnt a "true" TE....he will be a good player on our offense....

but just for fun, if paul crawford makes it to campus for us, i wonder if he gets a look...i know he was a pretty good bball guy so maybe he has hands...would be nice to have a 6'8 250 lbs TE going down the seam haha

Is crawford on the bubble?

• zartan
      there seems to be a lot of bad will going around on this site lately     i like it
    • L.A.Hog
      ya'll got one going..
    • dawgbit
      Also will never tell you it's got a headache when you get a few beers in you and decide to throw some meat in it...   I bought a Kamado knockoff a few years ago and love it. My egg didn't survive the move back to Mississippi and I just couldn't pull the trigger on another. For big grillin and smoking I built my own out of an old propane tank cut down by 1/3rd. Can do about ten Boston butts at a time. Smoked a half-dozen and pulled them for the fire dept and ems this past Wednesday. Did 24 half chickens at once last fall. Drawback is it takes a pile of charcoal to get it hot and keep it going.
    • cocky4ever
      Been way too long but we finally got a 5* commitment. Obviously a long way to go but hopefully we can hold on to him. This class really could end up being something special. https://southcarolina.rivals.com/news/five-star-defensive-end-zacch-pickens-commits-to-gamecocks   The state's top overall prospect decided not to wait. Originally planning to make his decision towards the end of his senior season, Anderson (S.C.) T.L. Hanna class of 2019 five-star defensive end  Zacch Pickens  committed to South Carolina Friday, according to sources at his spring game.   It was a team recruiting effort from the Gamecocks as head coach Will Muschamp, defensive line coach Lance Thompson, defensive coordinator Travaris Robinson and linebackers coach Coleman Hutzler all had a strong role in landing the nation's No. 16 overall prospect. Pickens was last on South Carolina's campus earlier this spring for a cookout event. Pickens, considered the No. 3 strongside defensive end in the country by Rivals, chooses South Carolina over offers from Alabama, Florida State, Clemson, Georgia, Nebraska, North Carolina, Penn State, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech and West Forest.  It was believed throughout the process that Clemson and Georgia were the two other top contenders. Pickens is the 12th commitment to Carolina's 2019 class.       This commitment bumps us up to #8 for the time being.      
    • cocky4ever
      Go back and read the article and it’s obvious. McCain can summon congress to work on a bipartisan healthcare bill? How long has he had to work on it? And what did he do, cast his vote to spit in the face of the bill he and republicans had all that time to work on. He can pass tax reform to create jobs? That’s already been done. He can continue his leadership on immigration reform and global warming? Just lol. Just admit that McCain spoke out against Trump on some issues so now he’s a hero to you when you wouldn’t have given him a second thought otherwise. 
  • Popular Contributors

1. 1
      possumslayer
      possumslayer
    2. 2
      smokeyone
      smokeyone
    3. 3
      nova
      nova
    4. 4
      bbqit