• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cockfan720

Mike Morgan Out as Voice of USC Baseball/Basketball

52 posts in this topic

This according to Gamecock Central. It's an insiders article so I won't post a link. But said he was out effective immediately. I'm sure we'll hear more soon.

This sucks. I really liked Morgan! The University is making a huge mistake IMO.

Who did he murder? That's the only explanation that would make sense. He's a fantastic play-by-play broadcaster!

Now I'm wondering if the fact "The Show" didn't air today on 107.5 the game is related to this and not just a random day off like they claimed.

Who did he murder? That's the only explanation that would make sense. He's a fantastic play-by-play broadcaster!

Now I'm wondering if the fact "The Show" didn't air today on 107.5 the game is related to this and not just a random day off like they claimed.

I know, I was wondering the same thing. This is horrible. I like Todd Ellis and all but I was waiting for the day that Mike Morgan becomes the official voice of all Gamecock Athletics. He does so well with Baseball and Basketball. I think it's terrible that we'll never hear him call another Gamecock game.

I'm also wondering if he'll keep his gig with 107.5 for their afternoon show. This makes no sense. What did he do wrong?

Todd Ellis is a grade-A douchebag. Mike Morgan was awesome.

I'm looking forward to finding out WHY this happened.

I don't see it on any of the sites. Where exactly can I find it?

Todd Ellis is terrible. I still can not belive he is still the football play by play after all this time. He need to go. Mike Morgan is awesome.

It appears he was fired. According to sources he's claiming he did nothing wrong. So who knows.

I am sorry to hear the news about Mike Morgan ! :thumbsdow

I have NEVER EVER thought that Todd Ellis was worth a tinkers damn. He over hypes everything.

The only thing he can do well is ???? I can't come up with anything... :thumbsdow

Ellis is EVEN worse on TV than on the RADIO :thumbsdow

I am sorry to hear the news about Mike Morgan ! :thumbsdow

I have NEVER EVER thought that Todd Ellis was worth a tinkers damn. He over hypes everything.

The only thing he can do well is ???? I can't come up with anything... :thumbsdow

Ellis is EVEN worse on TV than on the RADIO :thumbsdow

He doesn't even have a good radio voice. I used to like to listen to the game in the stadium, but listening to him makes the game boring. He tries to overact the plays but really comes up sounding like an idiot.

Well they just said on the radio that he resigned to pursue other professional opportunities. If that's the case then congrats to Mike and we wish him all the best. Travis Haney's article seemed a little less positive in tone though, and you'd think with his frequent appearances on Mike's radio show he would have spoken personally to him. Hopefully we'll get a statement from Morgan sometime soon.

Per Rivals:

South Carolina released a statement on Tuesday saying that play-by-play announcer Mike Morgan resigned his post in order to pursue other opportunities.

"We thank Mike for his many years of service and wish him the best in his future endeavors," said Chris Ferris, Senior Vice President of Radio Productions at ISP.

A search for a replacement will begin immediately. During the remainder of the 2009 baseball season, the play-by-play announcer role on the Gamecock Radio Network will be filled on an interim basis.

A complete story will be posted later. A call to Morgan was not returned.

Ya'll have piqued my interest...now I wanna know what happened too...sounds kinda shady.

Classic play and classic Mike Morgan. I will miss his voice as will a lot of Gamecock fans. Best of luck Mike.

There's more to this situation, and I'm anxious to find out what it is. My sources cannot comment about it right now, so I don't have a clue. I doubt I'll be able to comment even when they inform me.

Personally, if I may offer my relatively clueless opinion at this point, I'm putting more stock into what Travis Haney's article says and sounds like, just as OmahaBound has stated. Haney works closely with 107.5, and heck, he's even on the air as we speak. He is pretty close with those guys, and the tone of his article suggests that something more than what the "Lunch" show alluded to earlier today. For those of you who missed it, they talked about how this is typically the time of movement in the broadcasting profession, and that's the route Mike decided to take.

Now, Brent Johnson is the head honcho at The Game, so you have to put some stock into what he was saying in the "Lunch" show, but I think there's more to it. Also, I highly, highly doubt this was The Game, or USC's decision. It wouldn't shock me that there were riffs between Mike and ISP, and if there is more to the story, then it likely has to do with ISP. We'll see.

He probably wanted more money than anyone was willing to pay.

If it is a money issue, I am sure most Gamecock fans would vote to have him the "voice of the gamecocks" much like Bob Fulton and have him do all sports,then take part of Todd Ellis's salary and give it to him.

107.5 has danced around this issue all day. Just a 5 minute mention of it at the top of every hour. I would assume they aren't taking Morgan calls because I haven't heard 1 in 3 hours.

Days like this I wish I could pick up AM 1400 so I could actually listen to a take about a negative subject about Gamecock Athletics.

He doesn't even have a good radio voice. I used to like to listen to the game in the stadium, but listening to him makes the game boring. He tries to overact the plays but really comes up sounding like an idiot.
If it is a money issue, I am sure most Gamecock fans would vote to have him the "voice of the gamecocks" much like Bob Fulton and have him do all sports,then take part of Todd Ellis's salary and give it to him.

I agree, Ellis sounds like an idiot and more often than not comes across as one. Take Ellis's $$$ and give it to someone like Mike Morgan who has a true feel for the situation at hand. :thumpsup:

107.5 has danced around this issue all day. Just a 5 minute mention of it at the top of every hour. I would assume they aren't taking Morgan calls because I haven't heard 1 in 3 hours.

Days like this I wish I could pick up AM 1400 so I could actually listen to a take about a negative subject about Gamecock Athletics.

If you want to hear in go to www.1400theteam.com. They've talked about it all day.

Heath Cline has basically said what he can to show that this isn't simply Morgan getting a better offer. He's said things like, "I talked to Mike and the one thing he wanted me to make clear is you're not going to see him on the police blotter anytime soon. This isn't because of anything Mike did wrong." "I have every confidence Mike is going to land on his feet and big things will come his way." "When Mike feels comfortable talking about this I'm sure you'll hear from him." etc....

Beeds' theory seems the most likely at this point, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Heath Cline has basically said what he can to show that this isn't simply Morgan getting a better offer. He's said things like, "I talked to Mike and the one thing he wanted me to make clear is you're not going to see him on the police blotter anytime soon. This isn't because of anything Mike did wrong." "I have every confidence Mike is going to land on his feet and big things will come his way." "When Mike feels comfortable talking about this I'm sure you'll hear from him." etc....

Beeds' theory seems the most likely at this point, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm getting more and more vibes that this is an ISP thing.