• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Texas_Dawg

Biggest upset in professional baseball history?

47 posts in this topic

Netherlands 3, DR 2.

Netherlands 2, DR 1.

What upsets have been bigger (i.e. more unlikely)?

Run lines above -1.5 in MLB games are almost unheard of. And they are usually -150 or so on the payout when they happen.

The first Netherlands/DR game was -7.5 (-110). The second was -4.5 (-110).

The 2009 combined salary of the Dominican team is $83.4M. The Netherlands? $400,000.

A truly amazing upset.

ESPN highlights here for those who missed the game.

Man, that was one of the coolest baseball games I've ever watched.

Here are the 11th inning highlights with the broadcast audio:

-- DR takes the lead

-- Netherlands rallies

Before that 11th inning, the Netherlands had only 3 hits (all singles), but 14 strikeouts, in the first 10 innings. They had only 6 hits in 19 innings against the DR in the two games up to that point.

Yes in terms of non-professional exhibition games created by Bud Selig that no one cares about, it is the biggest upset. It's not like most of these guys are even in playing shape yet.

Yes in terms of non-professional exhibition games created by Bud Selig that no one cares about, it is the biggest upset. It's not like most of these guys are even in playing shape yet.

The run lines were still -7.5 and -4.5. You'll never see anything even close to that in MLB games. It should not even matter what time of year it is. That is a team of MLB All-Stars that just lost, twice, to a team that probably couldn't win an American rookie league.

And on the cynicism about the WBC, that's too bad. It's very good stuff. Check the highlights I posted above and you'll see two teams that really, really wanted to win that game.

boards

The run lines were still -7.5 and -4.5. You'll never see anything even close to that in MLB games. It should not even matter what time of year it is. That is a team of MLB All-Stars that just lost, twice, to a team that probably couldn't win an American rookie league.

And on the cynicism about the WBC, that's too bad. It's very good stuff. Check the highlights I posted above and you'll see two teams that really, really wanted to win that game.

cano.jpg

Cynicism.... it's a boring game, with a make believe world cup. Those crowds are nuts. Dozens of people are going crazy watching it.

It was so big no paper in the Netherlands is running it as a top sports story http://www.depers.nl/sport/

Cynicism...

Yeah, cynicism ("Bud Selig" blah blah blah).

And additionally you're not a baseball fan. Whatever.

Yeah, cynicism ("Bud Selig" blah blah blah).

And additionally you're not a baseball fan. Whatever.

I was when baseball was interesting. Now it's fake and watered down. Baseball is dead. I'm glad Bud Selig made you at least happy.

Also evident it was so popular a cynic is the only one to respond after 3 different posts by you. I get more reaction in a soccer thread.

:rolleyes:

It's the MLB forum, fwiw. No one posts here.

That's the point. MLB is dead. I actually dig college and don't mind minors.

Ah. It was HUGE for 35 minutes.

It goes in order. Something new posted it drops down. It's really not a complicated process.

I have some pliers if you would like to remove the stick you have up your ass this morning. :P

MLB baseball is still good,def. not what it used to be but if you love baseball it is still fun to watch.

That's the point. MLB is dead. I actually dig college and don't mind minors.

I think the point is that this is a baseball forum buried about 5 minutes of scrolling down the forums page at a primarily CFB website.

So are you trying to tell me people in the south are nuts about baseball? It's primarily a North Eastern fanbase since the teams are there. It's been a long time since I cared about Baseball and the WBC is a gimmick.

So are you trying to tell me people in the south are nuts about baseball?

No.

Felipe Alou:

"For me, who might be making this my last job as a manager, this is not the best way to check out because we were supposed to defeat that team two times," Alou said.

LOL. You think?

Alou said after the first loss that they should have beaten The Netherlands 9-0. Oops.

So are you trying to tell me people in the south are nuts about baseball? It's primarily a North Eastern fanbase since the teams are there. It's been a long time since I cared about Baseball and the WBC is a gimmick.

Being a fan does not equate to being "nuts" about a sport. It's not my favorite sport to follow (falls behind college football, the NFL, college hoops, and possibly college baseball) but I still enjoy MLB. It definitely is miles ahead of the NBA for me. I don't care about the WBC and I don't care for some of the latest things that have happened within MLB (steroid issue, etc.), but I am a fan of MLB. I've followed the Braves since I was a youngster, and still follow and pull for the Braves. There are quite a few on here who are still fans of MLB as well (based on some of the discussion in threads last season).

MLB/Baseball fan or not, this is just a really cool sports story.

That was a team of what are basically amateur-level guys playing a sport they like (again, entire 2009 team salary is $400,000... almost all of them have 2nd jobs)... and they took down a team that is basically just short of an MLB All-Star team... twice.

And they did it despite only scoring in 2 of 20 innings, with an 18-inning scoreless streak in which they struck out over 20 times and managed only 4 singles.

Just a great sports story.

Actually we have a WBC thread. Because there ARE people here who are enjoying watching it, and loving the competition. We just don't post about it here all the time because there is always somebody who has to be a dick and say "oh, baseball is lame."

I was when baseball was interesting. Now it's fake and watered down. Baseball is dead. I'm glad Bud Selig made you at least happy.

Just because you do not like a sport and your posts and threads consist of half of the SEC Talk forum does not mean you have the final say on whether a sport is interesting or not to the other 100 or so members that make the other half of the threads and posts. I am not hanging on pins and needles on every pitch in the WBC, but I have enjoyed following it and look forward to the later rounds. It is a convenient period to have this imo because it helps bridge the gap between the end of football and the beginning of the big dance. Also, Chicago and California are also big markets for baseball. It may not be huge in the South, but as Gamecock fan pointed out people are interested in following it.

• Popular Contributors

1. 1
      JoeGator
      JoeGator
    2. 2
      RammaJamma
      RammaJamma
    3. 3
      PuddingTime
      PuddingTime
    4. 4
      possumslayer