The Joker

USC Recruiting News

16,296 posts in this topic

Alpharetta (Ga.) four-star cornerback Jaycee Horn has committed to South Carolina. 

He will sign with the Gamecocks on Wednesday.

After decommitting from Tenn he was down to Clemson, Ohio State, Bama and us.

This is a major piece to puzzle for Carolina to start running a true man to man in the secondary.   

** Four-star WR Josh Vann has sent in his National Letter of Intent.

** Cane Bay DB RJ Roderick is the first to send in his NLI.

Insiders are saying that they expect 16 of our 21 commits to sign today. Just about all of those will also enroll in January. 

Dakereon Joyner and Maxwell Iyama have sent their NLIs in.

** Gamecocks have received letters of intent from Wyatt Campbell, Jabari Ellis, Jesus Gibbs, Tyquan Johnson, Ernest Jones, Hank Manos, Lavonte Valentine, Deshaun Fenwick and Tyreek Johnson

It feels so weird having signing day before Christmas. I think it’ll be really good for us this year though, and getting so many here in Jan. will help as well. I wish we were getting a few more big time prospects but this should be a really solid class.

Dakereon Joyner, QB (8:30 AM)

Four stars | 6-1, 200 | Fort Dorchester, SC

Mr. Football in the state of South Carolina for the 2017 season. A Shrine Bowl and Offense Defense all-star game selection. This season, Joyner threw for 2,376 yards and rushed for 980 yards with 49 total TDs in helping Fort Dorchester to the Class 5A Lower State championship. For his career, he threw for 9,745, rushed for 3,324 with 157 total touchdowns. Will enroll in January.

Maxwell Iyama, OL (8:13 AM)

Three stars | 6-5, 305 | Siegel/Murfreesboro, Tenn.

At 6-foot-5 and 305 pounds, he’s one of the biggest members of the class. An Offense Defense All-American Bowl selection. Will enroll in January.

Tyreek Johnson, DE (7:56 AM)

Three stars | 6-3, 262 | Lakewood/Sumter, SC

Originally a 2017 commitment; grayshirted after injury and will enroll in January with 2018 signees. Had 72 tackles, including 22 for loss as senior at Lakewood High. Also blocked six kicks and had five sacks in his final season with the Gators.

Josh Vann, WR (7:44 AM)

Four stars | 5-11, 175 | Tucker, Ga.

One of the highest-rated members of the class. Will play in U.S. Army All-American Bowl. Caught 46 passes for 867 yards and 12 touchdowns as a senior, and added 141 yards and a touchdown rushing. Scored 13 touchdowns on 63 catches for 1,300 yards as a junior.

Deshaun Fenwick, RB (7:44 AM)

Three stars | 6-1, 222 | Bradenton, Fla.

Ran for 1,401 yards (8.7 yards per carry) and 17 total touchdowns this season for Braden River High. Raised in Louisville, Ky. before moving to Florida while in high school. Is a January enrollee.

Ernest Jones, LB (7:37 AM)

Three stars | 6-2, 218 | Ware County/Waycross, Ga.

Picked USC over Florida and Duke. Expects to play middle linebacker with the Gamecocks. Had 112 total tackles, including 70 solo stops and 6.0 tackles for loss as a senior for the Gators of Ware County. Also accounted for two sacks, three forced fumbles and five QB hurries. Is a January enrollee.

Hank Manos, OL (7:37 AM)

Three stars | 6-4, 275 | Chapin, SC

Hometown lineman was a Shrine Bowl selection. He will play in the Under Armour All-America Game. Was an accomplished wrestler, earning the 285-pound title in Class 4A and finishing the season 40-0 as a junior. Is a January enrollee.

Lavonte Valentine, RB (7:37 AM)

Three stars | 5-11, 190 | Melbourne Beach, Fla.

Football and track star is recovering from ACL surgery. Also considered Oregon, Southern Cal, LSU and Florida. Is a January enrollee. Ran for 884 yards (9.6 yards per carry) and accounted for 14 total touchdowns in 2016. Plans to compete in track for the Gamecocks.

Jabari Ellis, DL (7:36 AM)

Three stars | 6-2, 280 | Santee, SC/Georgia Military College

Junior college player. Had 22 tackles, including 9.0 tackles for loss and 4.0 sacks during his sophomore season. Starred at Lake Marion High School and was a Shrine Bowl selection.

Jesus Gibbs, DL (7:36 AM)

Three stars | 6-3, 283 | Potomac/Dumfries, Va.

Played both ways in high school but will play defensive line in college. Signed with the Gamecocks despite a push from the home-state Virginia Tech Hokies.

Tyquan Johnson, WR (7:36 AM)

Three stars | 6-2, 193 | Sylvania, Ga.

Had 32 passes for 661 yards and 10 touchdowns as a senior at Screven County High. High school mascot also the Gamecocks. Caught 32 passes for 822 yards and 13 touchdowns as a junior.

Wyatt Campbell, OL (7:35 AM)

Three stars | 6-5, 275 | Lugoff, SC

Local lineman was a Shrine Bowl selection but missed the game due to injury. Starred at Lugoff-Elgin High. Is a January enrollee.

RJ Roderick, DB (7:22 AM)

Three stars | 6-1, 211 | Cane Bay/Summerville, SC

Shrine Bowl selection was a standout quarterback at Cane Bay. Battled injury for part of this season. Ran for 354 yards, passed for 188 and totaled 10 touchdowns over six games. Rushed for 1,778 yards and 23 touchdowns as a junior. Is a January enrollee.

USC COMMITMENTS NOT SIGNING THIS WEEK

▪  Marlon Character, DB (Atlanta/NW Mississippi CC)

▪  Jonathan Gipson, DB (Hoschton, Ga.)

▪  Bryce Thompson, DB (Dutch Fork, SC)

▪  Ronnie Jamison, WR (Irmo/Highland CC, Kansas)

▪  Lamarius Benson, OL (Eastside/Covington, Ga.)

26 minutes ago, cocky4ever said:

It feels so weird having signing day before Christmas. I think it’ll be really good for us this year though, and getting so many here in Jan. will help as well. I wish we were getting a few more big time prospects but this should be a really solid class.

This will be a good class.  Should be top 20.  We know this staff will put together a great defense. The question still remains and will not be answered for a while what it will mean offensively.  We have the chance to close out strong with some major pieces on both sides of the ball that could push us to a top 15 class.

What I do love how many guys are coming in in January.  An extra 6 months of working out with the team can only pay dividends next season and for years to come.  9+ guys coming in this early has to be a record for us.

52 minutes ago, TrueGCFan said:

This will be a good class.  Should be top 20.  We know this staff will put together a great defense. The question still remains and will not be answered for a while what it will mean offensively.  We have the chance to close out strong with some major pieces on both sides of the ball that could push us to a top 15 class.

What I do love how many guys are coming in in January.  An extra 6 months of working out with the team can only pay dividends next season and for years to come.  9+ guys coming in this early has to be a record for us.

Agreed. The defensive pickups combined with how many are coming in early should help soften the blow from what we lose on defense. 

Nice flip of the FSU guy lol.

I think they have 1 early signee and are ranked in the 60s.

We had 20 guys sign today and of those 13 will enroll early.  That is fantastic.  That means most of this class will get an extra 6 months of coaching and strength training.  I love how this is starting.  Now let's finish with a great 5 in Feb and this is will a class to build on.

Today was capped off with the signing of Charlotte (North Carolina) Harding 4* offensive lineman Jovaughn Gwyn.

The 6-foot-3, 290-pounder chose the Gamecocks over offers from Duke, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Louisville, North Carolina, NC State, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.

Per ESPN, number 18 overall number 5 in the SEC. Not counting Gwyn yet.Really solid. Alabama Auburn Georgia and LSU ahead of us. And those programs are perenially in the top 15 recruiting so I think we're exceeding expectations.

Lavonte Valentine is our newest RB and can flat out fly.  (10.52) 100 meters!!!

He won the 100 meters in Florida...which in a state like that is incredibly impressive.  

Edited by TrueGCFan

47 minutes ago, TrueGCFan said:

Per ESPN, number 18 overall number 5 in the SEC. Not counting Gwyn yet.Really solid. Alabama Auburn Georgia and LSU ahead of us. And those programs are perenially in the top 15 recruiting so I think we're exceeding expectations.

I’m pretty excited about the class, but I wouldn’t say it’s exceeding my expectations. With the staff Muschamp put together I expect us to bring in classes around 15 or better each year. 

Miami (Florida) Northwestern four-star offensive lineman Mark Fox picked up an offer from South Carolina just two days ago.  He committed to the Gamecocks today.  He choose Carolina over Georgia, Florida, Auburn, Miami, and many others.  

This is for the 2019 class.

Edited by TrueGCFan

18 minutes ago, TrueGCFan said:

Miami (Florida) Northwestern four-star offensive lineman Mark Fox picked up an offer from South Carolina just two days ago.  He committed to the Gamecocks today.  He choose Carolina over Georgia, Florida, Auburn, Miami, and many others.  

Glad to see that we’re still focusing on the big boys even after this recent class. We need to bring them onboard every year.

19 minutes ago, TrueGCFan said:

Glad to see that we’re still focusing on the big boys even after this recent class. We need to bring them onboard every year.

4 minutes ago, cocky4ever said:

That was one of his biggest recruiting knocks at UF.  He seemed to have never gotten enough OL.  That has defentely changed at Carolina.  The current class 7 Olinemen and likely an 8th.  2019 class has 4 total commits so far, 2 of those are Olinemen.