The Joker

USC Recruiting News

16,298 posts in this topic

where did u post the T. Williamson news?

Under South Carolina Sports: "Williamson to turn pro".

Spurrier Meets With Beecher

USC football coach Steve Spurrier had is in home visit with QB Tommy Beecher of Concord, NC Wednesday night. He did not leave with a commitment, but Beecher says one won't be long in coming. "South Carolina is at the top of my list and in all likelihood I will go there next year," Beecher said. "I might make a commitment in another week. I want to talk things over some with my coach. If not, I'll do it on my official visit. It's just a matter of time before I make my commitment." Beecher is scheduled to visit USC January 7th. He also has an offer from Richmond and is scheduled to visit there January 14th. This season Beecher led his team to the 3A state championship passing for 3700 yards and 42 touchdowns.

Recruiting Update for USC

Kearney Sets USC Trip

DB Taveres Kearney (6-0 210) of Tucker, GA met at his school Wednesday with USC recruiter Ron Cooper and set an official visit for January 7th. Kearney's teammate, RB Brandyn Young, had previously set a visit for that date with USC. Kearney is also planning to set a visit with Ohio State. Clemson also has been involved along with Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Mississippi State and Oklahoma State. Kearney was named AP All State as an outside linebacker. This season he had 14 sacks, 12 tackles for loss, 51 quarterback hurries and 83 total tackles.

Green Set With Three

DE Hivera Green (6-5 268) of Conway has been one of the outstanding figures on the South Carolina Shrine Bowl team this week. Green said Wednesday he is set with three official visits for January...USC January 7th, Clemson on the 14th and Virginia Tech on the 21st. He said he does not plan to set any other trips, and he said he does not have a current favorite.

No Decision From Timmons

DB Knowledge Timmons (5-11 175) of York, PA said Wednesday night he has not made a decision after completing four official visits. Timmons made back to back trips to USC and NC State Saturday-Tuesday. He has also visited Boston College and Maryland. Timmons said all four schools are still in the running and he's not sure when he'll make a decision.

Barber Re-opens Recruiting

DB C.J Barber (6-2 215) of Rock Hill, SC will enroll at Pearl River JC on Jan 8th. Barber signed with USC in February but did not qualify. He was going to be placed in junior college by USC, but decided to stay home and try to qualify at a local community college. Barber has had no contact with USC since the coaching changes. He developed a close relationship with former Gamecock assistant coach and current East Carolina head coach Skip Holtz. Since he has not heard from the Gamecocks, Barber now says his recruiting is wide open. He will play only one year at Pearl River and will be eiligible for the 2006 recruiting year.

West Signs USC Papers.

DB Mike West (6-2 215) of Butler County JC, KA said Thursday he signed his letter of intent with USC Wednesday and faxed and mailed copies to the university. West had committed to the Gamecocks on his official visit last weekend. Wednesday was the first day mid year junior college transfers could sign a letter of intent. DB Brandon Isaac of Georgia Military JC, who also committed to USC last weekend, also was expected to sign Wednesday.

Belcher Firm With USC.

DB Mychal Belcher (6-1 180) of Dorman, who has committed to USC for months, recently talked about taking other official visits. But his only official visit will be to USC January 14th according to his father. Belcher is firm with the Gamecocks and is not considering any other options. Belcher played quarterback for the Cavaliers but will be a defensive back at USC. He's playing strictly in the secondary at the Shrine Bowl.

USC's Current Commits:

(As of 12/12/04)

#43 3-Star WR Kenny McKinley

NR 3-Star K Ryan Succop

NR 3-Star WR Freddie Brown

NR 3-Star DE Nathan Pepper

#40 3-Star S Damien Wright

NR 2-Star QB Mychal Belcher

NR 2-Star TB Bobby Wallace

NR 4-Star WR Kerry Reed

NR 4-Star S Mike West (Signed LOI)

NR 4-Star S Brandon Isaac

As of 12/16/04:

NR 3-Star K Ryan Succop

NR 4-Star S Mike West (Signed LOI on 12/16/04)

Neal Holding Firm With Plans

RB J.C. Neal (6-1 183) of Lakewood is playing in the secondary for the Shrine Bowl team but he says his future in college will be on offense. Neal is sticking to his agenda for his remaining official visits. He will travel to USC January 7th, NC State on the 14th and Clemson on the 21st. He has visited Virginia Tech and Maryland. Neals says Virginia Tech and NC State are his two favorites. This season Neal rushed for 1400 yards and 22 touchdowns and on defense he had 88 tackles.

I hope those receivers do good for us....

Freddie Brown is supposed to be really good. He played in the Shrine game and had 80 yds receiving.

He has given Florida a verbal commitment.

Don't count on getting Williams....MWAHAHAHAHA! UF made DW's top three, and I don't think USC made the final cut:

GatorCountry

Don't count on getting Williams....MWAHAHAHAHA! UF made DW's top three, and I don't think USC made the final cut:

GatorCountry

I wouldn't get to excited. I see "Sooner" written all over him.

Beecher Commits To USC

QB Tommy Beecher (6-2 200) of Concord, NC became the first quarterback commitment for Steve Spurrier at USC Friday when he called the Gamecock coach and made his official pledge. "Yesterday I told coach Spurrier I was going to come home and sleep on it," Beecher said. "We just felt it was the best opportunity for me to play for coach Spurrier. I'm definitely excited about it and I'm looking forward to it. I think he was pretty excited. I know he wants to pass the ball and hopefully I'm the man to do that. With his help, I can be a good one." Beecher led his team to the 3A state championship this season passing for 3700 yards and 42 touchdowns. He will visit USC January 7th. He has canceled a scheduled visit to Richmond.

As of 12/17/04:

NR 3-Star K Ryan Succop

NR 2-Star QB Tommy Beecher

I wouldn't get to excited. I see "Sooner" written all over him.

We shall see...

We shall see...

Yep... :P

You are going to be disappointed.

Great article. Thanks. I don't think Spurrier is worried about recuiting a big name QB. He has been known to custom build one from scratch.

Great article. Thanks. I don't think Spurrier is worried about recuiting a big name QB. He has been known to custom build one from scratch.

You are absolutely correct.

Yep... :P

You are going to be disappointed.

Hey, you were wrong about Strong as UF's co-DC....so, u never know. :D

Hey, you were wrong about Strong as UF's co-DC....so, u never know. :P

I wouldn't say I was completely wrong. I said that Strong would not be retained as DC. He was retained as Co-DC along with that other dude that I heard about.

This Williams kid is eyeballing Oklahoma hard and Stoops is wooing him.

I would like your opinion Gator.

What do Florida fans think about this guy jumping from job to job to job? All in 3 years time?

USC Now Leads For Cooper

LB Keon Cooper (6-3 235) of Memphis had been favoring Missouri and was scheduled to visit there this weekend. But he didn't make the trip, and he now considers USC his favorite. "We already got two of our own (from Melrose High) down there and they are doing real good," Cooper said. "Plus, they have a new head coach andn it seems like he's going the right way. And they want me to play outside linebacker and I'm a defensive man. I'm 75% sure I'll commit to USC." Cooper is scheduled to visit USC January 14th but he might make his commitment in early January when recruiter Ron Cooper makes his next visit. He is also scheduled to visit Southern Miss January 21st.

Timmons Decision Is Coming

DB Knowledge Timmons (5-11 175) of York, PA made his official visit to Minnesota over the weekend. That was his final visit and he plans to make a decision by Wednesday. Timmons also has visited USC, Boston College, Maryland and NC State. He says all the schools are even and he's not trimmed his list. He had calls Sunday from NC State, Maryland and Penn State.

USC Remains Interested In Brown

USC remains involved with QB Levi Brown (6-4 212) of Mount Juliet, TN though the Gamecocks have not offered him a football scholarship. Brown is a 4.3 student with a 29 on the ACT. He has graduated from high school and can enroll in college in January. USC is looking at an academic scholarship package for Brown which would be converted to an athletic scholarship once he plays in his first game. Brown made an official visit to Richmond over the weekend and is being hotly pursued by the Spiders. Ole Miss and Kentucky also remain interested and plan to talk to him this week. He is also drawing interest from UT Chattanooga. Brown played in just six games this season due to a deep bone bruise in his knee. He passed for 1100 yards with 10 touchdowns and 6 interceptions.

Jonathon Garner 6-4 210 pound QB (I'm decommited from florida).Coach meyer told him he was looking for a dual threat QB, not a pro style pocket passer.This must be good news for Mr. Spurrier, because the Gamecocks are on his short list.Jonathon also has a visit in columbia on Jan.7 Brandon Woods athlete from Durham (NC) 6-2 203 pounds has been committed to Virginia since the spring , but the hiring of spurrier has gotten his attention and will visit columbia on Jan14. Jarriel King 6-6 270 pound defensive lineman from north charleston has an offer from spurrier.He will visit columbia Jan.14 and clemson on Jan.21.King says that SC has the edge right now.

USC Lands RB From Northwest

RB Taylor Rank (6-2 205) of Vancouver, WA has committed to USC according to a source familiar with is recruiting. Rank was named the 4A player of the year in Washington after rushing for 2020 yards and scoring a total of 35 touchdowns. For his career Rank rolled up over 4000 all purpose yards and 57 touchdowns. He's also a safety and outside linebacker prospect. Rank also had an offer from Washington and has drawn interest from Vanderbilt, Duke, Illinois, Washington State, Oregon and Montana. Rank's father Matt was coached by Spurrier at Georgia Tech and the family lived in Georgia before moving to the Northwest. He runs the 40 in 4.4

As of 12/20/04:

NR 3-Star K Ryan Succop

NR 2-Star QB Tommy Beecher

#44 3-Star TB/LB/S Taylor Rank

Davis Cuts One Contender

RB Mike Davis (5-11 208) of Columbia High has decided not to visit Auburn January 21st and has dropped the Tigers from his list. He is now looking at either USC or Maryland for a visit on that weekend. Davis has visited North Carolina and Kentucky. He will visit Alabama January 7th and Clemson on the 14th.