• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

uscrules

McCorvey Not Joining Football Staff as Reported

9 posts in this topic

Schedule | Roster | News | Archives No Coaching Additions Until January

McCorvey Not Joining Football Staff As Reported

Printer-Friendly Format

E-mail this article

Head coach Steve Spurrier

Football Home

HEADLINES

No Coaching Additions Until January

Coaching Staff Changes Announced

Garcia Named Starter for Bowl Game

RELATED LINKS

• Follow all of the college football action at CollegeSports.com

• Email this to a friend

Dec. 3, 2008

University of South Carolina head football coach Steve Spurrier announced today that no assistant coaches would be hired prior to the Gamecocks' bowl game.

"I acted too hastily in confirming that Coach (Woody) McCorvey would be joining our staff," said Coach Spurrier. "After thoroughly reviewing the entire situation and all the issues involved, we felt it was best to go to the bowl game with our current staff and add the two new coaches in January."

The Gamecocks (7-5, 4-4 SEC) are short two assistant coaches after offensive line coach John Hunt was relieved of his duties and quarterbacks coach/recruiting coordinator David Reaves accepted a job on the staff at Tennessee with his brother-in-law Lane Kiffin on Sunday

Sounds like a little buyer's remorse, but at the same time he still appears to be a strong candidate to be hired after the bowl. On the radio they just reported Clemson is interested in him as well, so I guess we'll see if he's even still available next month.

The report now is that McCorvey wanted a 2+ yr deal so he could have a little stability. We weren't willing to do that so he's no longer a candidate, but it sounds like Clemson still wants him so he'll be gainfully employed either way. Tony Morrell from our rivals site says Spurrier now will be looking for a young guy willing to take a 1 yr deal.

I had heard all along that it would be a younger guy. Aubrey Hill's name keeps coming up. I was very surprised at the McCorvey hire.

I am pullling for Duece Staley as a running back coach, I think that would be a great hire. He has been a successful college back, a successful pro back, he knows the position in and out and above all he loves gamecock football and he cannot stand a person that does not give 100% all the time.

Duce should coach RB's and Taneyhill should coach QB's. We need some Gamecock blood in this program.

I had heard all along that it would be a younger guy. Aubrey Hill's name keeps coming up. I was very surprised at the McCorvey hire.

Now you are talking, lets bring some garnet blood into this program. Maybe they can teach them the importance of beating Clemson. I wonder how many of you read the Spurs and Feathers last week in the article that was spotlighting former Clemson Carolina games and Benny Galloway was interviewed. Here is a portion of the article. " I was from Easley (just down the road from Clemson) and the rivaly was imbedded in me. In the 1968 game I had two broken ribs and the trainer Jim Price put a big plasitic pad on my side to protect my ribs. I was trying to hold the football before going out on the field and it was stilcking way out. I told him there was no way I could play a football game and not fumble the football with this pad. It was a slick as glass being plastic and inside a nylon football jersey. He told me I had to wear it. I had no choice.

I had a broken hand, a torn cartilage in a knee and a swollen ankle. I had a size 10 shoe on one foot and a size eight on the other. But there was no way they were going to keep me out of the lineup. If you played football, you played then. Before you went out you got novicained up.

"I fumbled the first time I carried the football. Clemson recovered and we held and got three points off of that. That is where their three points came from. I took the pad off and didn't fumble anymore."

Some where over the years players like Benny Galloway that knew the importance of this rivalry, who would sacrifice there body to help their team has gone. So maybe we need some gamecock blood back in our program.