• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PuddingTime

joakim Noah busted in Gainesville

32 posts in this topic

That's got to earn UF a few fulmer points.:thumpsup:

This guy gets stoned? Noooo....! Are you kidding me?

2007_06_sports_joakim_noah_draft-1.jpg

I think we have this in the wrong forum, don't we? Noah is, after all, an NBA player at this point. In any event, it was pretty stupid to think his VIP status in Gainesville would prevent him from getting charged like anyone else.

On the upside, after reading the account of the arrest, it looks like the police had insufficient cause to detain and search Noah in the first place. They stopped him initially because they witnessed him walking with a clear cup with an "amber" beverage in it. I'm not really sure about the law in Gainesville, but in most places, that wouldn't be enough to stop someone and investigate... it could be apple juice. They would have to have smelled alcohol to stop and investigate further. Basically, they were guessing it was alcohol, stopped him; and after he put the drink on the ground, they picked it up and smelled it. They then arrested him; and when they were booking him, they found a joint on him. He definitely screwed up; but a good attorney should be able to burn this to the ground. If the initial stop was bogus, all the subsequent evidence is worthless also.

That's got to earn UF a few fulmer points.:thumpsup:

Actually, I don't believe so. Unless they are on the roster when the "infraction" occurs, it doesn't count in the Fulmer points. Since he's no longer with Florida, no Fulmer points for the Gators.

He just gets a big doophus award all to his own.

Not being vigilant, having too much fun, feeling safe on his own turf...Mistakes I guess he wishes he hadn't made. He will get out of this, though. It sounds as if the officers made more mistakes than Noah did!

Not being vigilant, having too much fun, feeling safe on his own turf...Mistakes I guess he wishes he hadn't made. He will get out of this, though. It sounds as if the officers made more mistakes than Noah did!

I guess he didn't have the same level of clout that Kenny Stabler had in Alabama:laugh:

I just thought he was a really happy person.... I feel lied to....

I think we have this in the wrong forum, don't we? Noah is, after all, an NBA player at this point. In any event, it was pretty stupid to think his VIP status in Gainesville would prevent him from getting charged like anyone else.

On the upside, after reading the account of the arrest, it looks like the police had insufficient cause to detain and search Noah in the first place. They stopped him initially because they witnessed him walking with a clear cup with an "amber" beverage in it. I'm not really sure about the law in Gainesville, but in most places, that wouldn't be enough to stop someone and investigate... it could be apple juice. They would have to have smelled alcohol to stop and investigate further. Basically, they were guessing it was alcohol, stopped him; and after he put the drink on the ground, they picked it up and smelled it. They then arrested him; and when they were booking him, they found a joint on him. He definitely screwed up; but a good attorney should be able to burn this to the ground. If the initial stop was bogus, all the subsequent evidence is worthless also.

Apple juice? How many adult males have you in your entire life seen walking around with a plastic cup full of apple juice? CMON! Lets get real here. He's not a gator anymore, so you can take off those orange colored glasses. I don't know about you, but I've never been to a town where could walk down the streets with a beverage in a plastic cup and NOT be stopped. I don't understand how you are going to seriously question the cops on this one. Noah got busted and he deserved it.

I suppose if he was arrested for possession of a firearm you would say that the cops were in the wrong because he COULD have been carrying a toy gun.

Yeah. Agreed w/D^3. I admitted up front, I'll take any excuse I can to crack on this ass clown. My feelings for Noah have been known around these parts for many moons. He's #2 on most UK fans lists, mine included, right behind Christian Laettner. But yeah, it's no surprise he smokes. As I said, once again, any excuse. But apple juice....seriously GatorU...it's OK to admit that Noah is a douchebag. I admit that Chad Johnson is a douchebag....or insert whatever Bengal you want to that has been connected w/recent jackassery. There's really no need to defend him here, and in fact, it's more fun if you join in and point and hoot w/the rest of us.

Apple juice? How many adult males have you in your entire life seen walking around with a plastic cup full of apple juice? CMON! Lets get real here. He's not a gator anymore, so you can take off those orange colored glasses. I don't know about you, but I've never been to a town where could walk down the streets with a beverage in a plastic cup and NOT be stopped. I don't understand how you are going to seriously question the cops on this one. Noah got busted and he deserved it.

I suppose if he was arrested for possession of a firearm you would say that the cops were in the wrong because he COULD have been carrying a toy gun.

I'm not talking about common sense... I'm talking about the law. I didn't say I thought it was apple juice, or even that it was likely. I'm not defending him at all... my first statement said it was stupid. But, the fact is you can't detain and question someone for walking around with something that APPEARS to be alcoholic... not anywhere I've ever heard of, anyway. And, you, personally, have been to towns where you could walk down the streets with a beverage in a plastic cup... try virtually every town in Georgia, with the possible exception of Athens, where they've crashed down on drinking big time, and the dry counties. The level of probable cause has to be greater than that. If they smelled the alcohol, that'd be different. Hell, you can drive around in your car with a beverage in a plastic cup; but if you get stopped, and they smell alcohol, that's the cause they need to take the case further. As I said, I don't really know about Gainesville these days, because I haven't lived there in about 7 years; but, I do know that at last year's Homecoming, I'd say there were at least 20,000 people walking around with amber beverages on the street; and I'm pretty sure the kegs they were pumping them out of weren't apple cider barrels from Mott's.:laugh:

just heard he was arrested with open container of beer and pot was found on him.

just heard he was arrested with open container of beer and pot was found on him.

After that Beavis and Butthead dance that he performed after winning the NC , was there ever ANY doubt that He was a dope snorting goober smooching draft dodger?:laugh:

No offense UF fans , I am just kidding. Hell , I used to smoke a little of the "take a hit and don't give a shi.........er fertilizer" weed back in the 80s , 90s and middle ............I have been clean for almost 2 years now.:ph34r:

But, the fact is you can't detain and question someone for walking around with something that APPEARS to be alcoholic...

On the contrary... yes they can, and they do it all the time. Open container laws are enforced statewide, and a cop can stop you if he suspects you are carrying one. They don't need any other legitimate reason other than that you are carrying an open container of liquid. I know this because A) my first degree was in criminal justice, and this kind of stuff was covered, and B) I've probably logged 40+ hours in the passenger seat of a DUI Task force police cruiser, watching and learning (back in the day I wanted to be a cop). They can't ARREST you without a good cause, but they can stop you and question you for whatever the hell they want. They can certainly stop you for carrying a plastic cup of amber colored beverage around in public.

On the contrary... yes they can, and they do it all the time. Open container laws are enforced statewide, and a cop can stop you if he suspects you are carrying one. They don't need any other legitimate reason other than that you are carrying an open container of liquid. I know this because A) my first degree was in criminal justice, and this kind of stuff was covered, and B) I've probably logged 40+ hours in the passenger seat of a DUI Task force police cruiser, watching and learning (back in the day I wanted to be a cop). They can't ARREST you without a good cause, but they can stop you and question you for whatever the hell they want. They can certainly stop you for carrying a plastic cup of amber colored beverage around in public.

Open container laws are not state law they are local ordinances. In fact, there are several cities within the state of Florida that do not have an open container ordinance.

This does not excuse Noah's actions, because someone who spent 3 years in Gainesville should know that open containers are prohibited. Granted, most times, the penalty for a violation is merely a loss of beverage (i.e. "Spill that out or I will cite you.") However, it was clearly within the officer's power to detain, search, or question Noah after seeing him possess a cup as described above. Now if we were to change the facts to say it was a can of soda, or other branded bottle, there might not be any reason for the officer to stop him.

This story was posted at least 3 days ago. Please read the board before posting duplicates.

I also heard that his dad wanted to know what the big deal was...go figure :brick:

Open container laws are not state law they are local ordinances. In fact, there are several cities within the state of Florida that do not have an open container ordinance.

This does not excuse Noah's actions, because someone who spent 3 years in Gainesville should know that open containers are prohibited. Granted, most times, the penalty for a violation is merely a loss of beverage (i.e. "Spill that out or I will cite you.") However, it was clearly within the officer's power to detain, search, or question Noah after seeing him possess a cup as described above. Now if we were to change the facts to say it was a can of soda, or other branded bottle, there might not be any reason for the officer to stop him.

I didn't say it was a state law, I said it was enforced statewide, meaning that the vast majority of the state has laws against open containers (you can probably count the exceptions on one hand).

The distinction between the two is of semantics. Regardless, it has nothing to do with the issue of this thread.

Apple juice? How many adult males have you in your entire life seen walking around with a plastic cup full of apple juice?

:laugh: Hmmm....I suppose if you hung out in hospitals and looney bins that would not be out of the norm. :blink:

In all seriousness, though, that was pretty funny!! :thumpsup:

It could've been his urinalysis...this drug testing is getting outa hand!!!

• TheRealBrave
      I can safely say it is impossible for a QB to have a sluggish start vs. Georgia right now
    • L.A.Hog
      No one with a family and common sense want trump to destroy this country....
    • TheRealBrave
      Something that bothered me was Lester Holt being Hillary's personal fact checker and attempting to correct Trump consistently. He didn't jump on her for lying when she denied saying TPP is the gold standard of trade deals. It is plain as day that she said it, and relatively recently.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpLQzeCoNnA&app=desktop
    • Mizzou_Fan
      So now we'll move on to LSU and Tennessee. 
    • Flea
      LSU is the only Power 5 team in a state with a tiny population compared to Texas.  LSU and Bama made out like bandits by bringing in A&M.  And to show how autonomous LSU is, wasn't their recent change decided at ULL game?   Houston?  A serious multi-year threat?  With their pack 45,000 seat stadium and limited funds?   They flash every few decades. They won't keep TH that long.   tu?  Can't compete with the SEC brand.  TCU and Baylor?  Self-destruct at least once per 20 years.   
  • Popular Contributors

1. 1
      foxflyer5
      foxflyer5
    2. 2
      bbqit
      bbqit
    3. 3
      JoeGator
      JoeGator
    4. 4
      razorhead