Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smokeyone

Might be interesting to SC fans. (Non Troll)

6 posts in this topic

It’s so weird how different people are, and how there are so many things we don’t really know. Some people play football for twenty years and don’t have problems on that level while others can play for a few years and do. There’s a guy I work with whose daughter was in a bad car accident as a teenager, and it completely changed her personality. I know another woman whose son was in a small fender bender. He didn’t even go to the hospital, but complained of a small headache that night and ended up going out into the front yard and killing himself that same day. Then there are lots of people who’ve been knocked out from head trauma and don’t show much difference(though obviously there could be lots of things going on inside)...but again what makes it manifest in one person but not the next? So much left to learn about the brain and conciousness.

35 minutes ago, cocky4ever said:

It’s so weird how different people are, and how there are so many things we don’t really know. Some people play football for twenty years and don’t have problems on that level while others can play for a few years and do. There’s a guy I work with whose daughter was in a bad car accident as a teenager, and it completely changed her personality. I know another woman whose son was in a small fender bender. He didn’t even go to the hospital, but complained of a small headache that night and ended up going out into the front yard and killing himself that same day. Then there are lots of people who’ve been knocked out from head trauma and don’t show much difference(though obviously there could be lots of things going on inside)...but again what makes it manifest in one person but not the next? So much left to learn about the brain and conciousness.

I think you know my story about my youngest son, but one thing I don't think I've ever shared on here is the following.  My son took his life at age 20 while away at school.  When he was 13 or 14 he was in a bicycle accident in our neighborhood.  He was pretty scraped up and had a broken wrist.  He also had a concussion.  When we took him to the emergency room, he couldn't remember the accident and didn't know what time of year it was.  It was in March if I remember correctly, definitely after Christmas.  While we were in the waiting room, they had Home Alone on TV.  He kept asking us what happened and wanted to know if it was Christmas (since Home Alone kept showing Christmas scenes).  When we told him it was several months after Christmas, he'd ask what he got for Christmas.  He was very confused for a day or two. He never remembered the accident.

I've often wondered if that accident in any way affected him or had anything to do with him taking his life. He never showed any signs of depression.  

My wife and I have done the "what if" and "why" questions ever since he took his life.  It's one of those things we'll never know the answer to, but one I'll beat myself up over the rest of my life for not being able to help him.

Edited by GAMECOCK_FAN

I wish that pain could be taken away from you.But there are no guarantees when we become parents.

I'm sure your son loves you and no way he would want you to feel this guilt and pain.

No parent should have to go through this and I hope the Good Lord can give you peace with this.That's the best avenue.God Bless you.

11 hours ago, L.A.Hog said:

I wish that pain could be taken away from you.But there are no guarantees when we become parents.

I'm sure your son loves you and no way he would want you to feel this guilt and pain.

No parent should have to go through this and I hope the Good Lord can give you peace with this.That's the best avenue.God Bless you.

And God bless you hog.

12 hours ago, GAMECOCK_FAN said:

I think you know my story about my youngest son, but one thing I don't think I've ever shared on here is the following.  My son took his life at age 20 while away at school.  When he was 13 or 14 he was in a bicycle accident in our neighborhood.  He was pretty scraped up and had a broken wrist.  He also had a concussion.  When we took him to the emergency room, he couldn't remember the accident and didn't know what time of year it was.  It was in March if I remember correctly, definitely after Christmas.  While we were in the waiting room, they had Home Alone on TV.  He kept asking us what happened and wanted to know if it was Christmas (since Home Alone kept showing Christmas scenes).  When we told him it was several months after Christmas, he'd ask what he got for Christmas.  He was very confused for a day or two. He never remembered the accident.

I've often wondered if that accident in any way affected him or had anything to do with him taking his life. He never showed any signs of depression.  

My wife and I have done the "what if" and "why" questions ever since he took his life.  It's one of those things we'll never know the answer to, but one I'll beat myself up over the rest of my life for not being able to help him.

I honestly can’t think of a much heavier cross that a person could be asked to carry than what you’ve been given so it’s definitely understandable to do the “what if” scenarios. It’s a pain that I can’t even pretend to begin to comprehend but as I’ve said before I hope you find comfort in helping others carry their burdens when dealing with the same thing, and that you’re bringing awareness to the topic. And I think the fact that you and your wife are trying to bring something positive into the world from such a terrible situation says a lot about the kind of people you are. Sounds like the Hillinski’s are trying to do similar things, and if there are more people like y’all and them the world will be a better place.