Passing YPG- 194.6 26th Nationally

Rushing YPG- 198.5 100th Nationally

Total YPG- 393.1 65th Nationally

Scoring Defense- 31.3 89th Nationally

2017 Recruiting Ranking: 57

5 Year Recruiting Average: 46.2

2017 Record: 5-7 (1-7)

Offense:

Senior Kyle Shurmur returns after throwing for 2823 yards 26 Touchdowns 10 Picks. Kalija Lipscomb, his top WR, returns after catching 37 passes for 610 yards for 8 TDs. Not too many other known quantities in the receiving game though unfortunately.  The offensive line is returning 4 of 5 starters back as well, so Shurmur should have enough time to increase his output even more. Vandy did lose Ralph Webb, their all-time leading rusher. Multiple coaches state that the starter for this season, Ke’Shawn Vaughn who transferred from Illinois, could have a huge season. Vaughn is quicker than Webb and his OC states that he is possibly more explosive when hitting holes. Either way, it’ll be tough to replace Ralph Webb.

Defense:

2017 was an awful year for Vandy’s usually tough defense. Vandy allowed 346 points during conference play. That’s not their season total, that’s 8 games. That total also goes down as worst ever in SEC History. Derek Mason went out and hired a new defensive coordinator, smart move after that season. Jason Tarver was hired in February 2018. Tarver was hired from the 49ers, serving as their linebacker’s coach. Tarver does have experience as a DC. Tarver served as DC for David Shaw at Stanford for 2011. Tarver then was hired by the Raiders as their DC for a few seasons. Vandy does not return a ton of experience back, but they return JoeJuan Williams back on one side of the field. Williams is a 6’3 corner who had a few tackles for loss, 39 total tackles, and 10 passes defended in 2017. Vandy has a few transfers from other Power 5 schools, especially on the defensive line that can’t do anything other than help the ‘dores get back to their usually stout ways. Tarver’s philosophy is pressure, pressure, pressure. It’ll be interesting to see what happens.

Special Teams:

I believe everyone remembers how bad Vandy’s punt game was in 2017. 2018 brings in a transfer from Columbia University as starting punter. A new kicker will also be in place, but to start the season it’ll be a rotation of kickers to see who is the best in game situations. Kick and punt return positions have also not been filled and will be a committee type approach to fill this as well.

Baller’s Call:

Vandy has a tougher schedule in 2018. I think that Shurmur will have a great year, 3000 plus yards, but that the offense cannot overcome the deficiencies in the defense. I think 5-7 again in 2018 would be a win for Derek Mason.

2018 Prediction: 4-8 (1-7)

Edited by Baller
added year

Their bowl aspirations rest on their new DC. Get that side of the ball straightened out and I the think they’ll be ok. Unfortunately for them the offenses they’ll see this year will probably be better than they saw last year so it’s gonna be tough for them.

Just now, cocky4ever said:

Their bowl aspirations rest on their new DC. Get that side of the ball straightened out and I the think they’ll be ok. Unfortunately for them the offenses they’ll see this year will probably be better than they saw last year so it’s gonna be tough for them.

They travel to Notre Dame this year too hahaha.

Solid write up. I would say you are a bit too high on Schumer though. Webb was a huge part of his success and without that security blanket I just don't see him lighting it up. The counter to that would that with the porous D he might be playing from behind enough to boost his stats in the second half. 

Just now, smokeyone said:

Solid write up. I would say you are a bit too high on Schumer though. Webb was a huge part of his success and without that security blanket I just don't see him lighting it up. The counter to that would that with the porous D he might be playing from behind enough to boost his stats in the second half. 

I used to do this in the offseason way back when. Figured I would do one a week this summer, reverse alphabet, to fill content and pass the time. 

Schumer has improved greatly, he was god awful his freshman year. I don't necessarily think he's a good qb, I just think the offense is going to be totally him.I think the run game is going to be bad again this year. 

There are no admins pumping stories into the team pages anymore so it's up to us to put content in. 

Just now, smokeyone said:

There are no admins pumping stories into the team pages anymore so it's up to us to put content in. 

No worries at all. I just hope it helps the site out. 

Not that you shouldn't start new threads for each team but this type of analysis would also be beneficial in the predict the season threads.  Those have been started for Vanderbilt, Arkansas, Tennessee, Florida, and Ole Miss so far.  We're doing one of these each week leading up to the season.

You could copy and paste Vandys in the Vandy predict the season thread.

Edited by GAMECOCK_FAN

1 minute ago, GAMECOCK_FAN said:

Not that you shouldn't start new threads for each team but this type of analysis would also be beneficial in the predict the season threads.  Those have been started for Vanderbilt, Arkansas, Tennessee, Florida, and Ole Miss so far.  We're doing one of these each week leading up to the season.

K. if the team is already done, please merge them. I didn't see the other threads until already posted. 

Just now, Baller said:

K. if the team is already done, please merge them. I didn't see the other threads until already posted. 

Nothing wrong with a stand alone thread like this for each team.  I just wasn't sure if you were aware of the Predict the Season threads we had going.

prolly the most Vandy content ever!

better than this fan ever provided:

gettyimages-658138.jpg

Solid write up. I don't think these need to be merged, honestly. I like the stand alone.

Just now, A10Rebel said:

Solid write up. I don't think these need to be merged, honestly. I like the stand alone.

Sounds good. I will have more stats and rankings coming forth for future teams as well. 

Shurmur is a solid qb. Not great by sec standards but the sec hasn't had this string of qbs in a long time. 

Edited by Mizzou_Fan

10 hours ago, Baller said:

Schumer has improved greatly, he was god awful his freshman year. I don't necessarily think he's a good qb, I just think the offense is going to be totally him.I think the run game is going to be bad again this year. 

agree.  2500-3000 yards seems right, with lots of Interceptions, and less touchdowns than the yardage would Indicate.