Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GAMECOCK_FAN

Official 2018 College Baseball

106 posts in this topic

Now that college basketball is over, it's time to talk baseball.   Who do you open with this weekend?

SC has a 3-game series at home against VMI.

Really interested in seeing how our new coach Kingston does this season.

Edited by GAMECOCK_FAN

10 minutes ago, GAMECOCK_FAN said:

Now that college basketball is over, it's time to talk baseball.   Who do you open with this weekend?

SC has a 3-game series at home against VMI.

Really interested in seeing how our new coach Kingston does this season.

I might as well join you,not like we're going get past round two,if we make it at all.

Hell,we're playing friday against some dude named Buck Nell....I'm ready!

9 minutes ago, L.A.Hog said:

I might as well join you,not like we're going get past round two,if we make it at all.

Hell,we're playing friday against some dude named Buck Nell....I'm ready!

Y'all aren't that bad.  Seem to be playing better the last several games.  Should be in the NCAAT.

3 minutes ago, GAMECOCK_FAN said:

Y'all aren't that bad.  Seem to be playing better the last several games.  Should be in the NCAAT.

This team has some talent,but it's been unorganized grabass at best lately.

We'll make the tourney,bow out early,rinse,repeat.....

I don't even think "maybe next year " anymore.

If just getting to the tourney is our goal,then we're on the right course...

Will an admin please rename this to Official 2018 Baseball thread or something along those lines? I almost pulled a Herchel and made a duplicate thread until I searched for baseball. 

6 hours ago, L.A.Hog said:

This team has some talent,but it's been unorganized grabass at best lately.

We'll make the tourney,bow out early,rinse,repeat.....

I don't even think "maybe next year " anymore.

If just getting to the tourney is our goal,then we're on the right course...

So... about Baseball maybe?

It might be the Hogs fan in me but being ranked this high preseason makes me really nervous. The only sport we can be ranked high in and me not automatically think we will under achieve is the Olympic ones. 

That being said.. Time for the OmaHogs to get it going. It would be nice to also be in the top 8 for a Super Regional hosting this year. 

Entering the season: 

Capture.PNG.883d97751de27e5a34c5de25868d6ee7.PNG

Should be an interesting year in baseball. Most predictions I have seen have 3 SEC teams (UF, Ark, Tucky) making the CWS with 3 more (A&M, LSU and OM) reaching Supers. 

Should be a good season, or at least better than the last few. I have a feeling we’re about to see how bad Holbrook was at maximizing production out of the talent he had.

21 minutes ago, jacobp said:

F’ing finally. 

Cant wait to get to Baum

We finally added brick to our concrete jungle. Looks much better 

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-baseball/article200353029.html

Before Mark Kingston left the podium, he paused to deliver his own question to a room full of media members.

“You guys good?” the South Carolina coach asked, making sure reporters were fully satisfied. “OK, thanks.”

USC’s season opener (4 p.m. Friday against VMI at Founders Park) will be Kingston’s first in garnet and black. It comes eight years after he debuted as skipper at Illinois State and three years after he debuted at South Florida. The 47-year-old is a rookie only by Gamecock standards.

What’s different for Kingston as he approaches his third Opening Day as head coach?

Thursday’s scene, for one.

“We’ve always had press conferences,” he said, “but each step of the way, it’s gotten bigger and the volume’s gotten larger.”

Kingston led ISU and USF to NCAA regionals in his first season. That’s the desired destination for Carolina, which missed the Big Dance in Chad Holbook’s final year and hasn’t been to Omaha since 2012.

The 2018 version didn’t make Baseball America’s preseason top 25 for just the third time in the past decade. USC was pegged for a fourth-place finish in the SEC’s East Division. But Kingston-charged optimism still exists around the Gamecocks.

“I just think we’ve made progress in a lot of areas,” Kingston said. “I think our offense will take a nice step this year, but I also think our pitching has a lot to prove. Our pitching over the course of the year so far, from when we got here in August to now, I think we’ve had guys take some nice steps. And now we need to see if that will work against somebody else.

“Pitchers have made progress, I think the hitters have made progress. I’m just anxious to see how much progress has taken place.”

Junior right-hander Adam Hill will get the baseball Friday against the Keydets. Primarily a Sunday starter last season, Hill went 3-6 with a 3.04 ERA.

Kingston’s Bulls finished 10th nationally in ERA last season (3.24).

“Coach Kingston’s a big high-energy guy, and he’s extremely excited for the year,” Hill said. “He’s gotten us prepared, and he’s prepared himself. We’re all just ready to get out there and get in front of just the whole environment.”

Added senior shortstop Madison Stokes: “He’s fired up, for sure. He’s really excited. You can see it on the field and just talking to him, just how excited he is for this year to get going.”

Kingston said Thursday he’s going to stick with a more veteran-heavy lineup Friday and then mix in younger players as the weekend continues. After Hill, it’s righty Cody Morris starting Saturday and righty Ridge Chapman on Sunday. Junior college transfer Eddy Demurias is the closer. 

“In terms of this opening weekend, there’s six (pitchers) I would say we know we’ll get a chance to see,” Kingston said, “and past that, probably four or five more.”

The strategy is unique to South Carolina by roster, but Kingston has stayed true to a coaching style that guided 270 wins at Illinois State and South Florida.

“We have a lot more resources here to, maybe, take some things to the next level in how we can work with our players and how we can be prepared for games, but the nuts and bolts of it are very similar,” he said.

Founders Park was sold out for the 2017 opener.

“I’ve heard so much about the atmosphere here – the tailgating, the crowds when great moments happen,” Kingston said. “I’m really looking forward to see that atmosphere. That’s what I’m most excited about.”

Winthrop is actually supposed to not be too bad, favorite to win their conference. Decent opening day matchup.

USM vs MSU will be fun to watch as well. I'm sure @GoldenRebel will want to watch that one as well 

15 hours ago, JoeGator said:

Ugh 

30DAC5BD-3EBD-4827-B0C8-93850E89C094.png

I’m pissed

Just now, GoldenRebel said:

Glad to have you back

Glad to be back! Graduated and have a job etc, opted out of going to grad school as much as I wanted to.

25 minutes ago, adfalcon said:

Glad to be back! Graduated and have a job etc, opted out of going to grad school as much as I wanted to.

What you doing now?

2 minutes ago, Rebel WITH a cause said:

What you doing now?

Psych technician 

Cool. Psych is fun... sometimes.

Just now, Rebel WITH a cause said:

Cool. Psych is fun... sometimes.

To say it's hit or miss would be an understatement lmao.

On the topic of baseball, I found a good forum with stream links, watching texas tech rn

Ditto on the D1baseball.com sucks to be charging to see scores, etc.  Used them all the time to keep up with scores.