cocky4ever

New rules for redshirts being considered

14 posts in this topic

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/ncaa-college-football-acc-redshirt-rule-policy-2018-season-could-change/snng9l10al3t1has6u8y8l4fx

The conversation to modify the redshirt restrictions in college football is gaining more momentum after the ACC submitted a proposal to change the policy that would benefit the players and teams. 

According to a report from The Athletic, if the proposal were approved, it would allow any player to play in any four games in a given season, and the player would still have the ability to retain a redshirt for that particular season. 

Under the current redshirt policy, a freshman becomes ineligible to declare for a redshirt year if he plays after a team's first four games of the season. 

The report also indicated that the American Football Coaches Association already supports the proposal, and that the change to the redshirt policy could go into effect in the 2018 season. However, it would not be retroactive.

If the proposal passes, the adjusted rule would allow younger players the opportunity to play later in the season without wasting a redshirt year. This could prove to be a great benefit to the teams as well late in the season when players start to get injured and the teams need help filling out their depth.

Seems like a no-brainer and a win for all involved. 

Very good move

Proof that everyone loves Ole Miss. Everybody wants to take it easier on the “red” shirts...

Any four games is a lot. I'd be a fan of the first four games or any two or something. With this rule, you'll see teams like Bama save players for seccg and playoffs and not have to use a year of eligibility. 

1 minute ago, Mizzou_Fan said:

Any four games is a lot. I'd be a fan of the first four games or any two or something. With this rule, you'll see teams like Bama save players for seccg and playoffs and not have to use a year of eligibility. 

I’d say it’ll probably help teams with less depth more than it would help teams like Bama. If we’ve been redshirting a guy but lose a guy in Oct. or Nov. to injury we can have people step up. Plus Bama loses lots of payers after three years so they probably don’t redshirt as many anyway.

I love it. I think it will mean better development for those players. If you know there is still a chance you could play in game 8 or 9 you're more likely to work even harder. 

Very much a no brainier. Which likely means the NCAA will pass. 

I think msu, Lsu usce, Kentucky and vandy should use pink shirts

Cut the number of players on a team.

And get rid of the damn gloves .

I don't even care anymore. I'm under the belief that if it aided our program at any point the NCAA would have prison sex with us behind a burning dumpster, labeled Ole Miss Football.

6 minutes ago, A10Rebel said:

I don't even care anymore. I'm under the belief that if it aided our program at any point the NCAA would have prison sex with us behind a burning dumpster, labeled Ole Miss Football.

R.I.P. ole miss 

No one even gave a eulogy.......😢