Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smokeyone

I need help setting up a gym routine

89 posts in this topic

My knees are shot so I have recently found I can't do what I used to in a gym. 

I am looking for ideas to help work around my knees. Help with mobility and strength overall. I am over 40 and finding I just can't act like I did at 20.

I am at 195 so not looking to lose weight 

One legged squats...... have the wheelchair nearby.

1 hour ago, possumslayer said:

One legged squats...... have the wheelchair nearby.

Squats is part of why I am in this condition. Squats, boxes, blowing out my knees multiple times. Taking predisone for 18 years killing my joints didn't help. 

35 minutes ago, L.A.Hog said:

try this

SjMCpJi.gif

What part of the web do you spend too much time on?

Right now it's 15 minutes on a treadmill then do 2 sets of upper body weights and 15 minutes on a stationary bike or another peddle type machine and two sets of back with weights and 10 minutes on a rower. 

Any resistance on my knees and they let me know it's not a good idea pretty quick. I do sit ups on a bench that locks the legs in place because the knees are so bad I can't get off the ground.  

Swimming will make you lose weight faster than anything else and if you're doing it recreationally, it's easiest on joints. Freestyle with your face in the water. No breaststroke.

Do 3 sets of each upper body muscle group.

Chest, back, bicep, triceps, core, shoulders.

One your knees are shot they are shot. No coming back from it.

Edited by JoeGator

Got excited when I saw the topic but wait to put my input in tomorrow when I am a keyboard and not mobile. 

And @L.A.Hog... Those are obviously shoulder and kid proofing monk movements. Way to advanced for novice to intermediate lifters such as our SECT meat heads. 

5 minutes ago, hog_heaven said:

Got excited when I saw the topic but wait to put my input in tomorrow when I am a keyboard and not mobile. 

And @L.A.Hog... Those are obviously shoulder and kid proofing monk movements. Way to advanced for novice to intermediate lifters such as our SECT meat heads. 

my bad,just trying to help...

@smokeyone

What do you have access to? You said you want help setting up a gym routine but what equipment do you have access to? 

How often do you go to the gym? 

You said you are doing two 'upper body' movements then two 'back' movements. What are your upper body movements? 

Obviously, your knee problems only effect lower body training. So, you could just do like @JoeGator and skip leg day. But if you want to keep leg day in there and you're only issue is knee rotation when under direct load, look at doing extensions and leg curls for your quads and hamstrings, then through in some calf work.

Edited by hog_heaven

I go to the local Y 3 times a week for about an hour a day. They have both machine and free weights to use. The upper body stuff  I do rotates based on what day I am there but mostly it's machine based

4 minutes ago, smokeyone said:

I go to the local Y 3 times a week for about an hour a day. They have both machine and free weights to use. The upper body stuff  I do rotates based on what day I am there but mostly it's machine based

Sounds like you just need a typical 3 day split then while using leg extensions/curls machine for your legs (if you wanted) 

As far as mobility is concerned. Make sure you are doing stretching AFTER your workout. Perhaps some light yoga too? I do a thing called Yoga for weightlifters. This will help with your mobility and will slowly help your range of motion and recovery. 

For your 3 day split, I would do a push/pull/leg routine (once again, see leg statement above). 

Push day, do chest/shoulders/tricep movements. 

Pull day, do Back/bicep movements

Abs, do situps you were talking about, and hanging knee/leg raises. 

That is my "bar napkin" workout I would recommend. 

14 minutes ago, hog_heaven said:

Sounds like you just need a typical 3 day split then while using leg extensions/curls machine for your legs (if you wanted) 

As far as mobility is concerned. Make sure you are doing stretching AFTER your workout. Perhaps some light yoga too? I do a thing called Yoga for weightlifters. This will help with your mobility and will slowly help your range of motion and recovery. 

For your 3 day split, I would do a push/pull/leg routine (once again, see leg statement above). 

Push day, do chest/shoulders/tricep movements. 

Pull day, do Back/bicep movements

Abs, do situps you were talking about, and hanging knee/leg raises. 

That is my "bar napkin" workout I would recommend. 

Thanks. I will give it a go. Right now it's ad hoc and not doing the good it could. I enjoy the gym but want to have a plan for it.

3 minutes ago, smokeyone said:

Thanks. I will give it a go. Right now it's ad hoc and not doing the good it could. I enjoy the gym but want to have a plan for it.

yeah, a plan is a little difficult to draft up without knowing what you know about yourself. 

I would go here: https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/find-a-plan.html and see what you can create for yourself. 

4 minutes ago, smokeyone said:

I 2nd the P/P/L routine and would add that you should probably stick to compound movements to get the most bang for your buck in the hour. 

Just now, cocky4ever said:

I 2nd the P/P/L routine and would add that you should probably stick to compound movements to get the most bang for your buck in the hour. 

I was going to recommend the compound movements but if his knee(s) is/are that bad... I played it safe. LOL 

Don't need Smokey on here.... "H_H made me break my knees" LOL

30 minutes ago, hog_heaven said:

I was going to recommend the compound movements but if his knee(s) is/are that bad... I played it safe. LOL 

Don't need Smokey on here.... "H_H made me break my knees" LOL

Lol, good point. I meant the compounds moreso for push and pull lifts. With terrible knees he'll definitely need to go easy on legs. I used to ocassionally have small issues with my knees but actually hitting legs consistently made it go away completely. Going heavy upper body, moderate and careful on legs, then throwing in some yoga like you suggested should get him where he wants to go.

3 hours ago, hog_heaven said:

@smokeyone

What do you have access to? You said you want help setting up a gym routine but what equipment do you have access to? 

How often do you go to the gym? 

You said you are doing two 'upper body' movements then two 'back' movements. What are your upper body movements? 

Obviously, your knee problems only effect lower body training. So, you could just do like @JoeGator and skip leg day. But if you want to keep leg day in there and you're only issue is knee rotation when under direct load, look at doing extensions and leg curls for your quads and hamstrings, then through in some calf work.

You dick.

Im at a good 210

48 minutes ago, JoeGator said:

You dick.

Im at a good 210

But am I wrong? 

:trollface: