Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smokeyone

HUGE basketball scandal

173 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, nova said:

ruh roh.  really wish we weren't an adidas school now

I think three shoe companies are in play. Good luck free shoes university 

We don't pay apparel companies, we send our money directly to the Arkansas athletic department and tell them to keep hiring guys that can't keep talent at home.

There are also some reports that Louisville faces FBI charges of paying 5-star prospect $100,000 to ensure commitment.  

CBS Sports college basketball reporter Gary Parrish believes that player is Class of 2017 recruit Brian Bowen.

According to a report by Louisville-based TV station WDRB.com, the money was wired to third-party consultants who then made cash payments to the player’s family in order to conceal the transaction from university officials.

The indictment alleges the scheme “could only succeed” if one or more coaches at the university made “false certification to the university.”

2 hours ago, TrueGCFan said:

There are also some reports that Louisville faces FBI charges of paying 5-star prospect $100,000 to ensure commitment.  

CBS Sports college basketball reporter Gary Parrish believes that player is Class of 2017 recruit Brian Bowen.

According to a report by Louisville-based TV station WDRB.com, the money was wired to third-party consultants who then made cash payments to the player’s family in order to conceal the transaction from university officials.

The indictment alleges the scheme “could only succeed” if one or more coaches at the university made “false certification to the university.”

Why would the FBI care if a college broke NCAA rules?

2 minutes ago, smokeyone said:

What is 35% of $100,000?  

Edited by bbqit

10 minutes ago, bbqit said:

What is 35% of $100,000?  

The FBI is investigating a 3 year tax evasion scheme? 

All I can say is, thank you Louisville!

Nothing pulls us UK faithful out of a funk like a juicy UofL scandal !!

????????????

2 hours ago, smokeyone said:

The FBI is investigating a 3 year tax evasion scheme? 

It would be a bit more than that

7 hours ago, JoeGator said:

We don't pay apparel companies, we send our money directly to the Arkansas athletic department and tell them to keep hiring guys that can't keep talent at home.

Must've missed a payment last year.

13 hours ago, smokeyone said:

Turns out, it's because the schools receive federal funding.

Hopefully this changes the way college basketball is done.  It should get rid of the one and done and AAU leagues.  You either let them go straight to the pros or you make them play at least 3 years.

The one and done has been a major reason this has been getting worse and worse every year.  

Edited by TrueGCFan

28 minutes ago, TrueGCFan said:

Hopefully this changes the way college basketball is done.  It should get ride of the one and done and AAU leagues.  You either let them go straight to the pros or you make them play at least 3 years.

The one and done has been a major reason this has been getting worse and worse every year.  

But how will UK keep hanging  banners for NBA draft picks?

5 minutes ago, JoeGator said:

But how will UK keep hanging  banners for NBA draft picks?

Cal will find a new way to cheat. Or go back to his Umass or Memphis ways

Pitino likely to be canned today. Jurich might be shown the door with him. This according to sources around University-6. Pat Forde calling for the death penalty, even, and he's been a UL apologist for years.

And for the Cal haters, I'd be all for canning him if he has ever been, or is cheating in any way (please direct me to the NCAA document(s) that cite him). I've met the man, and I don't think he would do any of that (and I was skeptical when he was first hired). He's in this thing for the kids, and to help them get to the NBA the right way (read his books). If you watch him recruit, there are quite a few 5* and 4* kids that he doesn't bother with. If he sniffs that the kid or the family are expecting hand-outs, or the kid thinks that he won't have to work in class, or on the court, or if he thinks the kid can't handle the spotlight at UK, he will drop them like a hot potato. He also makes sure that any early-departing player has a path back to UK to complete their degrees, if things don't work out for them at the pro level.

19 minutes ago, The Architect said:

Pitino likely to be canned today. Jurich might be shown the door with him. This according to sources around University-6. Pat Forde calling for the death penalty, even, and he's been a UL apologist for years.

And for the Cal haters, I'd be all for canning him if he has ever been, or is cheating in any way (please direct me to the NCAA document(s) that cite him). I've met the man, and I don't think he would do any of that (and I was skeptical when he was first hired). He's in this thing for the kids, and to help them get to the NBA the right way (read his books). If you watch him recruit, there are quite a few 5* and 4* kids that he doesn't bother with. If he sniffs that the kid or the family are expecting hand-outs, or the kid thinks that he won't have to work in class, or on the court, or if he thinks the kid can't handle the spotlight at UK, he will drop them like a hot potato. He also makes sure that any early-departing player has a path back to UK to complete their degrees, if things don't work out for them at the pro level.

While you can't prove Cal has cheated there is plenty of proof he is surrounded by people that do.  All you have to do is look at UMass and Memphis.  

3 minutes ago, TrueGCFan said:

While you can't prove Cal has cheated there is plenty of proof he is surrounded by people that do.  All you have to do is look at UMass and Memphis.  

Derrick rose didn't even take the ACT

1 minute ago, GoldenRebel said:

Derrick rose didn't even take the ACT

I don't think anyone in Illinois takes it.

I'm just saying if you are a UK fan I wouldn't gloat too much about Louisville.  It is only a matter of the FBI talking to one person in the know.

This has the chance to the biggest impact on college sports ever.  My guess is the FBI's phone is ringing off the hook with people talking trying to cut a deal.

1 minute ago, TrueGCFan said:

I'm just saying if you are a UK fan I wouldn't gloat too much about Louisville.  It is only a matter of the FBI talking to one person in the know.

This has the chance to the biggest impact on college sports ever.  My guess is the FBI's phone is ringing off the hook with people talking trying to cut a deal.

I'm not that worried right now. If people are squealing, UK would of been one of the first schools mentioned.

10 minutes ago, UK4Life said:

I don't think anyone in Illinois takes it.

Whatever. SAT then. Someone else took it for him and got busted. Memphis had to vacate their 07-08 season

Edited by GoldenRebel

11 minutes ago, UK4Life said:

I'm not that worried right now. If people are squealing, UK would of been one of the first schools mentioned.

We are 24 hours into this.  It took the FBI years to get this together.  I'm not saying Cal is doing anything, but anyone paying attention has known for years a large percentage of these one and dones have been getting $10,000 handshakes.  

There is not a school that signs more one and dones than UK.  

While that is not proof of cheating, you combine that with Cal's prior staff issues, it is only a matter of time before someone points the FBI to the White and Blue.

Edited by TrueGCFan

1 minute ago, GoldenRebel said:

Whatever. SAT then. Someone else took it for him and got busted. Memphis had to vacate their 07-08 season

Smh...gotta learn to cut those loose ends next time.

I am not a UK hater.  I like watching UK win.  It brings the whole SEC basketball league up a notch.

Unfortunately these new 7-on-7 leagues are basically the same thing as AAU. Gotta put an end to all of it

5 minutes ago, TrueGCFan said:

We are 24 hours into this.  It took the FBI years to get this together.  I'm not saying Cal is doing anything, but anyone paying attention has known for years a large percentage of these one and dones are have been getting $10,000 handshakes.  

There is not a school that signs more one and dones than UK.  

While that is not proof of cheating, you combine that with Cal's prior staff issues, it is only a matter of time before someone points the FBI to the White and Blue.

Maybe. Has a Nike school been involved yet?