Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TrueGCFan

CBS 2017 Basketball SEC Offseason Power Rankings

163 posts in this topic

SEC OFFSEASON POWER RANKINGS

[IMG]
Wildcats

With Wenyen Gabriel -- who earned only spot minutes -- the only returning rotation player, here comes the top-rated Class of 2017: P.J. Washington, Kevin Knox, Jarred Vanderbilt, Quade Green and Nick Richards. They join Diallo. Those pieces figure to fit, with Green's play at the point the key. Kentucky will be crazy talented and fascinating. Biggest question is a familiar one: Will the Cats be effective from the 3-point line?
[IMG]
Gators

The Gators came within a few possessions of making it to the Final Four in Mike White's second season. Because Allen, Chiozza and John Egbunu return, Florida will compete with Kentucky.
[IMG]
Aggies

Few teams will match A&M's low-post duo of Robert Williams and Tyler Davis. On the wing, D.J. Hogg will try to make the leap and become a 3-point threat. The Aggies could be a second-weekend NCAA tourney threat.
[IMG]
Razorbacks

There is a significant dip to reach Arkansas. But this team almost beat Carolina in the NCAA Tournament, and -- with six seniors -- the Hogs are a safe bet to dance again.
[IMG]
Crimson Tide

Collin Sexton was a bolt-from-the-blue five-star point guard prospect. While entering college as a relative unknown nationally, Sexton could be among the country's more entertaining players and work himself into the first round of the NBA Draft.
[IMG]
Commodores

Vandy reached the NCAAs last season as a 9 seed. With much of the roster returning, the Commodores could better last season's 19 wins. Fisher-Davis figures to atone for his tournament mishap.
[IMG]
Tigers

Porter will get the attention, but Terrence Phillips' point-guard play will be pivotal if the Tigers are to become next season's UCLA. The Bruins more than doubled their win total -- going from 15 to 31 -- from 2015-16 to 2016-17. Mizzou has a shot to do something similar.
[IMG]
Bulldogs

With Maten (18.2 ppg, 6.8 rpg), a top-50 lock for CBS Sports' annual list of the country's top 100 (and one) players, Georgia has a shot at reaching the NCAAs. Losing J.J. Frazier hurts, though.
[IMG]
Tigers

The Tigers could be a lot of fun, thanks to Mustapha Heron and Austin Wiley. Entering his fourth season year at Auburn without an NCAA appearance, Bruce Pearl could show some results.
[IMG]
Gamecocks

The Gamecocks return two of five starters (Chris Silva, Maik Kotsar) from that Final Four team. Hassani Gravett is a breakout candidate. Frank Martin's team is a long shot for an NCAA bid.
[IMG]
Bulldogs

Weatherspoon is underrated, largely because Mississippi State is still waiting to kick into gear under Ben Howland.
[IMG]
Rebels

Ole Miss has won at least 19 games every season since 2008-09 and has not had a losing season since 2005-06, but Andy Kennedy's group could lack the size and defense to finish much higher.
[IMG]
Volunteers

Rick Barnes' team is a mystery because it lacks a discernable leader. Sophomores Grant Williams and Lamonte Turner figure to be important.
[IMG]
Tigers

The Tigers landed promising freshman Tremont Waters, but this program needs two seasons to build itself into a top-half team.

Everyone says this is going to be AK's best team yet and if he doesn't make the tourney he's likely fired

Mizzou has the eighth best vegas odds to win national championship but there 7th in SEC power rankings? 

Love being ranked 10th.  I hope every team in the SEC thinks the same thing as this guy. 

7 minutes ago, TrueGCFan said:

Love being ranked 10th.  I hope every team in the SEC thinks the same thing as this guy. 

heads up.

Pudding hacked your account and posted about roundy bounce ball In July.

7 minutes ago, foxflyer5 said:

heads up.

Pudding hacked your account and posted about roundy bounce ball In July.

Haha.  Nope.  I became a Gamecock fan because of basketball.  I actually grew up a Clemson fan.  Then I saw the light thanks for the 95-96 seasons.

Edited by TrueGCFan

We should go dancing with this team and if we can get Reggie Perry back on board, should have a good 2018-2019 as well.

48 minutes ago, DjCrenshaw said:

Tennessee will be well above 13

Is 12 really considered "well above" 13?

37 minutes ago, JoeGator said:

Is 12 really considered "well above" 13?

They could be 4 or 5 wins better than last year and be a bubble school. 

9 hours ago, DjCrenshaw said:

They could be 4 or 5 wins better than last year and be a bubble school. 

SOS was the only thing going for UT last season. 

16 hours ago, TrueGCFan said:

Haha.  Nope.  I became a Gamecock fan because of basketball.  I actually grew up a Clemson fan.  Then I saw the light thanks for the 95-96 seasons.

whoa.  true confessions.

Why are y'all worried about 2nd-14th in basketball this year when football is 44 days away?

24 minutes ago, PuddingTime said:

Why are y'all worried about 2nd-14th in basketball this year when football is 44 days away?

Blood is in the water. 

3 hours ago, JoeGator said:

Blood is in the water. 

Y'all thinking South Carolina looks vulnerable and maybe you can jump them to get to 2nd best this year?

1 hour ago, PuddingTime said:

Y'all thinking South Carolina looks vulnerable and maybe you can jump them to get to 2nd best this year?

There is literally no trail of consciousnesses that leads to SC being the No2 team in the SEC last year. 

13 hours ago, JoeGator said:

There is literally no trail of consciousnesses that leads to SC being the No2 team in the SEC last year. 

Well that's fine.  Y'all can argue about 2-14 until the sun comes up like I said.

6 minutes ago, PuddingTime said:

Well that's fine.  Y'all can argue about 2-14 until the sun comes up like I said.

You can join in since UK will be between 2-14. 

2 minutes ago, JoeGator said:

You can join in since UK will be between 2-14. 

There is literally no trail of consciousnesses that leads to UK being anything other than the No1 team in the SEC. 

SC was #1 in the SEC last year since we went farther in the NCAAT than any other team.  

That's my story and I'm sticking with it. :lol:

3 minutes ago, JoeGator said:

Except the many Ls you will take. 

About the only thing I agree with on the OP is it'll be UK and UF.  I seriously doubt aTm finishes 3rd.  I haven't looked ahead to basketball around the conference much yet.  I think Vandy has a real shot to be that 3rd team.

18 minutes ago, PuddingTime said:

About the only thing I agree with on the OP is it'll be UK and UF.  I seriously doubt aTm finishes 3rd.  I haven't looked ahead to basketball around the conference much yet.  I think Vandy has a real shot to be that 3rd team.

Same boat but it's not like I'm going to wait to talk shit until I read up on it. 

Damn straight.  Wouldn't have it any other way.