Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TrueGCFan

Holbrook Resigns

122 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, JoeGator said:

Obviously Tanner didn't offer Sully. 

Sully picked a shitty song on his boombox.  Ray lost interest.

8 minutes ago, JoeGator said:

Obviously Tanner didn't offer Sully. 

I'm sure that in about 5 years or so everyone will realize we hired the best coach in FL

1 minute ago, cocky4ever said:

I'm sure that in about 5 years or so everyone will realize we hired the best coach in FL

Are you hiring Mike Martin after this one doesn't work out?

4 minutes ago, JoeGator said:

Are you hiring Mike Martin after this one doesn't work out?

How the hell am I supposed to know? A lot can change in 20 years.

I doubt it will remain unanimous, but so far every baseball writer/analyst/"people who actually know what they're talking about" seems to have high praise for the hire.

Supposedly his pitching coach is a rising star as well and he'll likely come along. (Edit:  unless USF hires him as their head coach)

Edited by OmahaBound

1 hour ago, OmahaBound said:

I doubt it will remain unanimous, but so far every baseball writer/analyst/"people who actually know what they're talking about" seems to have high praise for the hire.

Supposedly his pitching coach is a rising star as well and he'll likely come along. (Edit:  unless USF hires him as their head coach)

No offense, but look back at all the hires other schools have made. 

Baseball writers and analysts have never criticized a hire. 

Edited by JoeGator

36 minutes ago, JoeGator said:

No offense, but look back at all the hires other schools have made. 

Baseball writers and analysts have never criticized a hire. 

There is zero percent chance I'm doing that or you've routinely done it in the past, hah.

It's nothing more than opinions so I agree with your point that it's meaningless...but it's at least more informed than anybody who's complaining.

Baseball is a crapshoot. Bama made a slam dunk hire last year and dude got fired already. Tennessee hired a coach that took 2 different teams to CWS and he failed miserably. Msu hired a guy who only had 1 year of experience as an assistant and he nearly took a below average team to Omaha. 

5 hours ago, OmahaBound said:

There is zero percent chance I'm doing that or you've routinely done it in the past, hah.

It's nothing more than opinions so I agree with your point that it's meaningless...but it's at least more informed than anybody who's complaining.

I just mean that you'll never catch a baseball specific writer dogging a hire or pointing out why a coach sucks. 

They just don't do it. 

Obviously the coach you got doesn't suck. 

Mark Kingston is South Carolina’s new baseball coach.

The USC Board of Trustees on Friday morning approved a contract for Kingston, who leaves South Florida after three seasons to take over the Gamecocks. He’ll be introduced in a news conference at 3 p.m. Friday.

His contract is for six years at $600,000 annually.

So now that it's official what should our expectations be??

I mean, we should have the talent to be in the tournament every year despite what Holbrook did recently...but then again our players looked like they weren't coached very good. Honestly I think postseason should be an expectation every year, but if he doesn't make it in year one I'll let it slide. There's no excuse for not making it any years past that point.

edit to add- I also think we should expect to make the supers in the next 3-4 years and it might not be crazy to expect a trip to Omaha in five years or so. 

Edited by cocky4ever

34 minutes ago, cocky4ever said:

I also think we should expect to make the supers in the next 3-4 years and it might not be crazy to expect a trip to Omaha in five years or so. 

That's a perfectly reasonable timetable, but the wolves will be out if we're not in Omaha after 5 years.

It'll be interesting to see how quickly he gets some recruiting wins.  Hopefully Kyle Jacobson lives up to the hype, but we lose a lot of the proven guys after next year. (Cortes will be a draft eligible sophomore)

But we will have been twice more and added at least 1 more natty before you make it back. 

Then we will be the better program. 

3 hours ago, JoeGator said:

But we will have been twice more and added at least 1 more natty before you make it back. 

Then we will be the better program. 

Lold...

Enjoy your championship and all, but at some point remind yourself that the team that kicked your ass the last time you made it to the finals has a decent coach again.

2 hours ago, cocky4ever said:

Lold...

Enjoy your championship and all, but at some point remind yourself that the team that kicked your ass the last time you made it to the finals has a decent coach again.

Decent, but not elite. 

9 hours ago, JoeGator said:

Decent, but not elite. 

Not elite yet, but TBD for the future.  After all, O'Sullivan wasn't elite when UF hired him.

2 hours ago, GAMECOCK_FAN said:

Not elite yet, but TBD for the future.  After all, O'Sullivan wasn't elite when UF hired him.

I'm giving y'all shit because I enjoy a good meltdown. 

I think he's a good hire. 

But I also still think y'all were nuts to think you'd get Sully, Schloss, Lee, or McDonnell. 

3 minutes ago, JoeGator said:

I'm giving y'all shit because I enjoy a good meltdown. 

I think he's a good hire. 

But I also still think y'all were nuts to think you'd get Sully, Schloss, Lee, or McDonnell. 

I said numerous times with my serious posts in this thread that I didn't expect O'Sullivan to leave UF.

But I did expect Tanner to test the waters to see.  Which I believe he probably did.

Edited by GAMECOCK_FAN

USF hired Billy Mohl to be their new head coach so he won't be joining Kingston in Columbia.  As a result Kingston decided to keep Jerry Meyers as pitching coach.

I was intrigued to see what some new blood could do there too, but most years Meyers did a great job so no complaints.  Making a change there easily could have become a "be careful what you wish for" scenario.