TrueGCFan

Holbrook Resigns

122 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, GoldenRebel said:

It's gonna be the Usf dude. 

He would be a deep 2nd tier guy for me. 

27 minutes ago, GoldenRebel said:

I don't pray at the altar of Kendall Rogers or Aaron Fitt, but I do respect their opinions.

Here's what they said when USF hired him...

Kendall Rogers, Perfect Game USA
“Mark Kingston has twice been named one of our rising coaches in college baseball for a reason. Mark was instrumental in Tulane's success during the Rick Jones era. He has a reputation as a great coach, recruiter and someone who relates well to everyone. I think USF made a terrific hire, and someone with Florida roots, in Mark Kingston."

Aaron Fitt, Baseball America
"USF hit the jackpot with the Mark Kingston hire. He proved himself as a premier recruiter long ago, helping build Tulane into a national power, and he showed that he has what it takes to succeed as a head coach during his years at Illinois State, lifting the Redbirds out of obscurity and making them annual contenders in the Missouri Valley Conference. Kingston has the right temperament to lead, he is an excellent talent evaluator, and he'll have no trouble selling recruits on his vision for the future of USF baseball."

11 minutes ago, OmahaBound said:

I don't pray at the altar of Kendall Rogers or Aaron Fitt, but I do respect their opinions.

Here's what they said when USF hired him...

Kendall Rogers, Perfect Game USA
“Mark Kingston has twice been named one of our rising coaches in college baseball for a reason. Mark was instrumental in Tulane's success during the Rick Jones era. He has a reputation as a great coach, recruiter and someone who relates well to everyone. I think USF made a terrific hire, and someone with Florida roots, in Mark Kingston."

Aaron Fitt, Baseball America
"USF hit the jackpot with the Mark Kingston hire. He proved himself as a premier recruiter long ago, helping build Tulane into a national power, and he showed that he has what it takes to succeed as a head coach during his years at Illinois State, lifting the Redbirds out of obscurity and making them annual contenders in the Missouri Valley Conference. Kingston has the right temperament to lead, he is an excellent talent evaluator, and he'll have no trouble selling recruits on his vision for the future of USF baseball."

He will be a lot like the Muschamp hire fore me.  A whole lot of wait and see.  Not a slam dunk.  At our school I expect slam dunks in baseball.

2 hours ago, GoldenRebel said:

That's what I've been expecting since I heard Tanner interviewed him.  We could do much worse, but I'm hoping for better.  We'll see.

1 hour ago, TrueGCFan said:

He will be a lot like the Muschamp hire fore me.  A whole lot of wait and see.  Not a slam dunk.  At our school I expect slam dunks in baseball.

Agreed...

but it then again I thought Holbrook was a slam dunk hire so what the hell do I know?

1 hour ago, TrueGCFan said:

I think anybody outside of O'Sullivan would be 'wait and see.' None of the other elite names seemed to be real candidates.  Don't know whether they had no interest or we didn't want to pay enough, but Texas showed last year that the elite coaches need a pretty damn good reason to leave a successful program.

2 hours ago, TrueGCFan said:

I expect slam dunks In basketball...home runs In baseball.

Lsu prob cut y'all a real goood deal on mineri today lol

6 hours ago, OmahaBound said:

I think anybody outside of O'Sullivan would be 'wait and see.' None of the other elite names seemed to be real candidates.  Don't know whether they had no interest or we didn't want to pay enough, but Texas showed last year that the elite coaches need a pretty damn good reason to leave a successful program.

Real candidates?

O'Sullivan isn't even a real candidate and never was. 

SC is one of the elites but I really think y'all are forgetting yourselves. 

Rumor is we have offered Sully 10 year $20,000,000 contract.  Interesting.  I don't know how true the rumor is, but it isn't completely out of the questions that we would offer this.  We are paying Dawn Stanley $2.1 million.

Rumor is we have offered Sully 10 year $20,000,000 contract.  Interesting.  I don't know how true the rumor is, but it isn't completely out of the questions that we would offer this.  We are paying Dawn Stanley $2.1 million.

Bet he calls 1-800-cash-now the day he signs

$2 mil for a baseball coach is unheard of. Most of the top tenured sec coaches make around $1 mil after bonuses. Around $800k base

12 hours ago, JoeGator said:

Real candidates?

O'Sullivan isn't even a real candidate and never was. 

SC is one of the elites but I really think y'all are forgetting yourselves. 

I've always said it was unlikely.  I think everyone here has said it's unlikely outside of c4e joking around with you. 

Would "under consideration" make you feel better than "real candidate"?  Or does that still somehow imply I think O'Sullivan is outside Ray Tanner's home with a boombox to grab his attention... praying for just one chance to talk to him?

You're on this site far too much to consider this as a fanbase "forgetting yourselves," hah.

I think he is the most far fetched candidate possible. 

I don't think you'll end up with a splash hire. All the biggest names are deeply entrenched already. 

USF media is Tweeting that Kingston is leaving Tampa to head to Carolina.  Yawn!!!  Another wait and see hire.

3 minutes ago, TrueGCFan said:

USF media is Tweeting that Kingston is leaving Tampa to head to Carolina.  Yawn!!!  Another wait and see hire.

I'm assuming Tanner sees something he likes and thinks he's a good fit for our program...

....or maybe thoughts of the search for a football coach are in the back of his mind so he's over-anxious to lock up the first candidate who agrees to accept.

Just now, cocky4ever said:

I'm assuming Tanner sees something he likes and thinks he's a good fit for our program...

....or maybe thoughts of the search for a football coach are in the back of his mind so he's over-anxious to lock up the first candidate who agrees to accept.

God I hope it is the first one and not the second one.

1 minute ago, TrueGCFan said:

God I hope it is the first one and not the second one.

Probably a little bit of both 

Just now, cocky4ever said:

Probably a little bit of both 

Yep.

2 minutes ago, cocky4ever said:

We haven't had a resident skeptic in awhile.  Are you trying out for the job of Kevhugh? Hah.   There's absolutely nothing to suggest that other than us not knowing the name Mark Kingston....and all of us are far more ignorant about up and coming baseball coaches than football or basketball.

It sounds a little like a Tom Herman situation to me.  Virginia Tech and Alabama wanted Kingston this year.  He said no thanks thinking he could do better like Herman turning us down in football.

The more I read the more it sounds like he has all the positive qualities of Holbrook....but importantly he also has years of head coaching experience where he has impressed the baseball world.

9 minutes ago, OmahaBound said:

We haven't had a resident skeptic in awhile.  Are you trying out for the job of Kevhugh? Hah.   There's absolutely nothing to suggest that other than us not knowing the name Mark Kingston....and all of us are far more ignorant about up and coming baseball coaches than football or basketball.

It sounds a little like a Tom Herman situation to me.  Virginia Tech and Alabama wanted Kingston this year.  He said no thanks thinking he could do better like Herman turning us down in football.

The more I read the more it sounds like he has all the positive qualities of Holbrook....but importantly he also has years of head coaching experience where he has impressed the baseball world.

I've been pumping out sunshine and rainbows for 13 years on here....I figured I had to exhibit at least a little bit of skepticism at some point or people would stop listening to me.

.....people still listen to me, right?

1 minute ago, cocky4ever said:

I've been pumping out sunshine and rainbows for 13 years on here....I figured I had to exhibit at least a little bit of skepticism at some point or people would stop listening to me.

You say something?

:lol:

5 minutes ago, cocky4ever said:

Huh?