Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TrueGCFan

Holbrook Resigns

122 posts in this topic

On 6/9/2017 at 8:13 AM, cocky4ever said:

Best chances to win a title?? We've won 2 in the last 7 years and played for a third(beating UF out for the first one). I'd say his chances of winning one would be better here than in Gainesville. 

uh oh

Gets AD job. 

Hires Holbrook. 

Hires Muschamp. 

?

On 6/23/2017 at 8:37 AM, JoeGator said:

I actually think UF is a better job than SC. 

Outside of the pay, which is about to change, you are one of few who think this.

Edited by TrueGCFan

31 minutes ago, JoeGator said:

Gets AD job. 

Hires Holbrook. 

Hires Muschamp. 

?

Holbrook was as slam dunk a hire as Muschamp was for you guys in beginning.  Just like with Muschamp with you guys it became obvious he wasn't ready to be a head coach yet.  

As for Muschamp 2.0, we will see.  He has had one season at Carolina and just about everyone would say he did much better than expected.  I will hold my opinion of him back until the end of his 4th season.  So far it appears he has learned some lessons from UF.  We have better QBs than UF ever had with him and we are recruiting more than 3 olinemen a class.

I would say that is start at least.  

Edited by TrueGCFan

48 minutes ago, TrueGCFan said:

Outside of the pay, which is about to change, you are one of few who think this.

Fan support and facilities are better at SC, but that's it. 

15 minutes ago, JoeGator said:

Fan support and facilities are better at SC, but that's it. 

And titles.  Don't forget about titles.

Titles = pedigree?

I'd agree that SC has better history but it's not enough to matter. 

Its like saying Miami is a better job than SC because 4 > 2. 

15 minutes ago, JoeGator said:

Titles = pedigree?

I'd agree that SC has better history but it's not enough to matter. 

Its like saying Miami is a better job than SC because 4 > 2. 

So what else is there outside of fans, facilities, total wins, win percentage, National Titles?  UF has great recruiting, but so does Carolina.  There certainly isn't enough of a difference in recruiting to over come everything previously listed.  

Just now, TrueGCFan said:

So what else is there outside of fans, facilities, total wins, win percentage, National Titles?  UF has great recruiting, but so does Carolina.  There certainly isn't enough of a difference in recruiting to over come everything previously listed.  

Potential. 

2 minutes ago, JoeGator said:

Potential. 

You can keep your potential.  I will keep our reality.  

Since you put so much weight on potential, I will give you our potential in football and you give us your reality.   Deal?

Edited by TrueGCFan

51 minutes ago, TrueGCFan said:

You can keep your potential.  I will keep our reality.  

Since you put so much weight on potential, I will give you our potential in football and you give us your reality.   Deal?

Your potential in football is to never be able to come back to win a game where you don't score first. 

I'll pass. 

26 minutes ago, JoeGator said:

Your potential in football is to never be able to come back to win a game where you don't score first. 

I'll pass. 

Joke's on you.  We've let plenty of 1-AA teams score first and OFTEN still win!

I expect Scott Strickland to go all in on Florida baseball. Didn't they already announce a huge facility upgrade? The fans will be there if they make it comfortable to go. Nobody want to spend 3 hours on aluminum bleachers in Florida heat. 

31 minutes ago, OmahaBound said:

Joke's on you.  We've let plenty of 1-AA teams score first and OFTEN still win!

I LOLd

5 minutes ago, GoldenRebel said:

I expect Scott Strickland to go all in on Florida baseball. Didn't they already announce a huge facility upgrade? The fans will be there if they make it comfortable to go. Nobody want to spend 3 hours on aluminum bleachers in Florida heat. 

Foley planned the upgrade but Stricklin will be there to ensure its what we need. 

Tanner says there will be an announcement probably in the next few days.  Hoping it's a home run hire, but sort of expecting a ho-hum type of announcement/hire.  Just ready to know.

2 hours ago, GAMECOCK_FAN said:

Tanner says there will be an announcement probably in the next few days.  Hoping it's a home run hire, but sort of expecting a ho-hum type of announcement/hire.  Just ready to know.

I am typically ok with ho hum hires in baseball. 

Its the only sport where that can work out. And it had many times before. 

8 hours ago, JoeGator said:

I am typically ok with ho hum hires in baseball. 

Its the only sport where that can work out. And it had many times before. 

Like we're gonna fall for that sh!t

but now that UF has officially won a natty before fsu the baseball program down there has served its purpose right? Y'all don't really need O'Sullivan anymore.

37 minutes ago, JoeGator said:

I might need to register for cockytalk now. 

In reality while your coach is at the top of 90% of Gamecock fans wish list 90% of those don't think he would ever leave.

Congrats on the Natty!  Impressive to be the first SEC school to win it in baseball, football, and basketball. 

You can remove a name from the list of potential candidates to be the next head baseball coach at South Carolina.

Wake Forest coach Tom Walter has signed a seven-year contract to remain the head coach of the Demon Deacons, Wake Forest announced Wednesday morning.

The deal runs through the 2024 season.

Not that big of loss.  In fact I'm okay.  He wasn't even on my list of coaches I'd want.

3 hours ago, JoeGator said:

I might need to register for cockytalk now. 

Not worth it.  That schadenfreude will turn to despair at the state of humanity real quick...

tumblr_nh9ofq4AOD1tn9gi9o1_500.gif

35 minutes ago, TrueGCFan said:

Not that big of loss.  In fact I'm okay.  He wasn't even on my list of coaches I'd want.

You're welcome for the raise, Tom.

I largely agree with Joe that a ho-hum hire won't necessarily mean a bad hire.  Hiring O'Sullivan would be no guarantee for another ring or even regular enough Omaha trips to satisfy the fanatics.

No matter the name, what I most want to hear is that the new hire is a respected baseball mind (preferably with head coaching experience) who has a track record of firing up his kids.

Holbrook was that guy who lightened up Tanner and helped build the fun/confident/attacking atmosphere in our clubhouse.  The pressures of being the head guy seemed to stress him out a lot though.  That stress clearly trickled down to the players at times.  Some of that is probably just the kids' personalities too, but I definitely think the tension around Holbrook was a factor in our problems.  (Injuries and bad luck were the biggest factor though)

I think/hope Holbrook will be more relaxed in his next head coaching gig, and he'll have great success down the road.

2 hours ago, TrueGCFan said:

Yeah, I said earlier in the thread that I wasn't excited that he was a potential candidate.  His resume didn't do much for me.