Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TrueGCFan

Holbrook Resigns

122 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, GoldenRebel said:

Please don't hire that toolbag

They can't. 

2 minutes ago, JoeGator said:

They can't. 

Sure they can. Money will be the same. SC is more invested into baseball and Tanner is a baseball AD who will give him whatever he wants. Loafers would have no problem finding y'all a good coach who could maybe get over the hump. 

8 minutes ago, GoldenRebel said:

Sure they can. Money will be the same. SC is more invested into baseball and Tanner is a baseball AD who will give him whatever he wants. Loafers would have no problem finding y'all a good coach who could maybe get over the hump. 

If it worked out that way I would enjoy it. We have underachieved too frequently for my tastes.

At least he isn't Calipari.

It doesn't make sense for him to leave a place where he doesn't have to travel as much to recruit, for a school where the only plus up is the number of fans in the seats. 

7 minutes ago, JoeGator said:

If it worked out that way I would enjoy it. We have underachieved too frequently for my tastes.

At least he isn't Calipari.

It doesn't make sense for him to leave a place where he doesn't have to travel as much to recruit, for a school where the only plus up is the number of fans in the seats. 

Maybe the wife hates Gainesville 

35 minutes ago, GoldenRebel said:

Maybe the wife hates Gainesville 

Then he should divorce the bitch.

1 hour ago, JoeGator said:

Then he should divorce the bitch.

I couldn't help but laugh when I read this response.

For what it's worth...

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-baseball/article155319514.html

Updated list for SC baseball coaching search

Tier 1:. Home Run Hire

Dan McDonnell (Louisville)

Brian O'Connor (Virginia)

Kevin O'Sullivan (Florida)

Jim Schlossnagle (TCU)

Tier 2: Successful Coaches At Big Programs

Jay Johnson (Arizona)

Monte Lee (Clemson)

Tom Walter (Wake Forest)

Tier 3: Up-and-coming Coaches With An Impressive Resume

Erik Bakich (Michigan)

Mark Calvi (South Alabama)

Chris Lemonis (Indiana)

Greg Lovelady (UCF)

4 minutes ago, GAMECOCK_FAN said:

For what it's worth...

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-baseball/article155319514.html

Updated list for SC baseball coaching search

Tier 1:. Home Run Hire

Dan McDonnell (Louisville)

Brian O'Connor (Virginia)

Kevin O'Sullivan (Florida)

Jim Schlossnagle (TCU)

Tier 2: Successful Coaches At Big Programs

Jay Johnson (Arizona)

Monte Lee (Clemson)

Tom Walter (Wake Forest)

Tier 3: Up-and-coming Coaches With An Impressive Resume

Erik Bakich (Michigan)

Mark Calvi (South Alabama)

Chris Lemonis (Indiana)

Greg Lovelady (UCF)

I'd probably be alright with any in the top two tiers but don't know much about tcu's or wf's coach. I wouldn't classify wf as a big time program, but at the same time I don't know if this year is a fluke or if they've consistently competed in their conference(which would say a lot given how small wf is and how tough the acc is). Anyone can come out of nowhere for a year or two. I'd also say that coaching at wf and coaching at SC are two totally different things.

35 minutes ago, cocky4ever said:

I'd probably be alright with any in the top two tiers but don't know much about tcu's or wf's coach. I wouldn't classify wf as a big time program, but at the same time I don't know if this year is a fluke or if they've consistently competed in their conference(which would say a lot given how small wf is and how tough the acc is). Anyone can come out of nowhere for a year or two. I'd also say that coaching at wf and coaching at SC are two totally different things.

Yeah, I wouldn't be too excited about hiring WF's Tom Walter.  They've made the NCAAT the last two years but his overall resume isn't that great IMO. However, I will admit that I don't know much about him.

Other than that, anyone in tier one or two would be good.

Word right now is there is some serious mutual interest between O'Sullivan and Carolina. 

My gut still tells me this is a long shot, but if anyone could pull him away our job with our current AD could. 

10 hours ago, TrueGCFan said:

Word right now is there is some serious mutual interest between O'Sullivan and Carolina. 

My gut still tells me this is a long shot, but if anyone could pull him away our job with our current AD could. 

I'm pretty sure SC is the only team in the East that Joe can halfway tolerate. If we take O'Sullivan I'm certain we'd jump right in with the rest of the fan bases  that he absolutely despises. And I imagine it's only going to get 10x worse when Muschamp starts putting together solid seasons.

I'd love to get O'Sullivan, but as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'd be shocked.  It'd be a great shock though.

46 minutes ago, cocky4ever said:

I'm pretty sure SC is the only team in the East that Joe can halfway tolerate. If we take O'Sullivan I'm certain we'd jump right in with the rest of the fan bases  that he absolutely despises. And I imagine it's only going to get 10x worse when Muschamp starts putting together solid seasons.

So you're saying it's not going to get 10x worse...

Sorry, I couldn't resist that. Go ahead and blast the shitshow that will be Ole Miss for the next few years...

I can't believe people think O'Sullivan or McDonnell are actual options. 

They both turned down Texas last year. 

2 hours ago, JoeGator said:

I can't believe people think O'Sullivan or McDonnell are actual options. 

They both turned down Texas last year. 

I heard O'Sullivan was coming to SC as the HC and McDonnell would be his assistant coach.

4 hours ago, GAMECOCK_FAN said:

I heard O'Sullivan was coming to SC as the HC and McDonnell would be his assistant coach.

My real estate friend's sister said they were both looking at houses on the lake last weekend. 

14 hours ago, JoeGator said:

My real estate friend's sister said they were both looking at houses on the lake last weekend. 

Well hell, there you go.  It's a done deal. :D

Who's the for real candidates? I've been out of the loop

46 minutes ago, GoldenRebel said:

Who's the for real candidates? I've been out of the loop

As of a couple days ago, O'Sullivan was apparently still the top candidate.  Sounds like it is a family situation that makes it more realistic though still unlikely.

Monte Lee also unlikely but Ray wont formally talk to him til he'd have an offer.   They're friends so can't have it look like the Clemson coach was reaching out for USC.  Ray would obviously want to avoid being turned down as well.

Tom Walter at Wake

Chris Lemonis at Indiana

A UVA assistant whose name I forget.

And our 247 baseball insider said he's heard rumblings of Josh Holliday from Okie St (former Vandy assistant)...but he said he doesn't have connections out there to get a good gauge on how plausible that is.

Those were all the names mentioned the last time that 247 insider was on local radio.

Sullys wife is in Gainesville with her new bf. 

She didn't move back to SC. 

Tanner is saying, "You know you'll look better in Garnet and Black that Orange and Blue."

Image result for O’Sullivan and tanner

Or in this one, "Once you get here you'll be able to get one of these of your own."

Here Tanner is telling O'Sullivan, "There aren't this many empty seats all season much less in one game like at UF."

Mark Kingston is making noise. Met with tanner yesterday

• zartan
      It's funny black guy acts like a thug, carries a gun, gets killed by law enforcement, you smile but somehow you are all gonna be a senior citizen version of Rambo when confronted by the authorities  
    • zartan
      I dunno you tell us im sure that is your search criteria on Tinder
    • zartan
      I think the simplest indicator is the popular vote, which you lost by 3 million  how come Hillary actually paid a price for calling people deplorables, but nothing happens to Trump for anything he says? because conservatives are phony amoral hypocrites
    • WDavE
      But for the most part we're better armed....
    • smokeyone
      Zartan is slowly moving to the right end of the spectrum, he just enjoys the troll life
  • Popular Contributors

1. 1
      smokeyone
      smokeyone
    2. 2
      bbqit
      bbqit
    3. 3
      possumslayer
      possumslayer
    4. 4
      cocky4ever