Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TrueGCFan

Holbrook Resigns

122 posts in this topic

South Carolina coach Chad Holbrook resigned on Tuesday after five seasons as the head coach of the Gamecocks.

Holbrook met with Carolina Athletics Director Ray Tanner earlier this week to make his case to return to USC, but after the meetings Holbrook decided to resign.

“I want to thank our fans, players, coaching staff and everyone that touched Carolina baseball,” Holbrook said in a statement. “This will always be a special place for me and my family. Wearing that jersey, being a part of two national championships, and meeting so many great people are things I will always treasure. I will always be a Gamecock! At the end of the day, this was the best decision for us,” continued Holbrook. “I wish Coach Tanner and this program I love so much nothing but the best. Forever to Thee!”

“We thank Coach Holbrook for his dedication and commitment to the program and wish him the best in his future endeavors,” said Coach Tanner. “He and his family were part of some great memories at South Carolina and we will miss them.”

USC missed the postseason this year for the second time in three seasons after making it 15 consecutive years from 2000-2014.

Holbrook finishes his time at USC with a record of 200-106, including an 81-67 mark in SEC play.

Holbrook was an assistant coach under Ray Tanner for USC’s back-to-back national titles in 2010 and 2011 and was also an assistant when the Gamecocks returned to the national championship series in 2012.

But he was unable to enjoy that success as a head coach.

In his first season in charge of the program, South Carolina lost to North Carolina in a Super Regional in Chapel Hill.

The following season the Gamecocks did not get out of the Columbia Regional, falling at home to Maryland. The loss marked the first time USC did not advance from a home regional since 1976.

Carolina was 16-0 in the postseason at Founders Park before failing to make it out of the regional in 2014.

The Gamecocks then missed the NCAA tournament entirely in 2015 before bouncing back last season and reaching and hosting a super regional, but Oklahoma State swept Carolina to keep Holbrook from reaching Omaha as a head coach.

This season was supposed to be South Carolina’s best chance under Holbrook for a deep postseason run with proven veteran pitchers Clarke Schmidt, Wil Crowe and Adam Hill in the starting rotation and an All-American closer in Tyler Johnson to go along with setup guys Josh Reagan and Reed Scott.

But the Gamecocks were never able to put it together, dropping their final eight SEC series and falling from preseason top five to out of the NCAA tournament.

It's gonna be like Christmas morning for GamecockFan when he wakes up. 

Not that he really had a choice, but at least he did step down respectfully. And now........we wait.

Will be interesting to see who they go after for sure. I have no clue 

19 minutes ago, jacobp said:

Will be interesting to see who they go after for sure. I have no clue 

A few weeks ago I heard rumors about clemson's coach, but I'm not sure how much stock I put in that. Luckily for us, in baseball there aren't many jobs that are better. Holbrook seemed like a perfect hire, so much so that it almost doesn't even seem like a Tanner hire. He just fell into place when Tanner became AD. So in a way this is just Tanner's 2nd big hire with the first being Muschamp.

Glad to see it.  Before I saw this I posted it in the baseball thread.  Hopefully, we'll get someone who can get us back to respectability.

While I think it would have likely ended badly had he stayed one more year, I still wanted to see what he would do.  

My gut tells me this was the best way it was going to end. 

It will be interesting to see who we go after now. Lee at Clemson would be okay, but this needs to be a grand slam hire. 

We are a top 5 national baseball program with as frutal recruiting grounds as it gets. 

I also think this could be the defining hire for AD Tanner.  Right now I would has he has 95% support from Gamecocks fans. If he makes a bad hire that support will erode. 

25 minutes ago, TrueGCFan said:

I also think this could be the defining hire for AD Tanner.  Right now I would has he has 95% support from Gamecocks fans. If he makes a bad hire that support will erode. 

I think a lot more is riding on Muschamp. Tanner basically had a three month head start and ended up with a candidate that was apparently somewhat far down on his list of choices. If Muschamp works out no one will care at all, but if he doesn't then people will say that Tanner really screwed that whole process up. I agree though that it would be harder for him to explain a bad hire in baseball. He should know the program better than anyone and know what he's looking for in a coach. Couple that with the fact that we have a top notch program and should be able to have a great selection to pick from and it makes it much harder to get away with making a bad hire with this. I mean, if he doesn't get this one right I'm not sure we can trust him with any of the others.

That being said I'm firmly in the 95% that support Tanner and think he'll make a good hire this time. I also think he's a great AD for our coaches to work for and a good addition to the school.

5 hours ago, cocky4ever said:

I think a lot more is riding on Muschamp. Tanner basically had a three month head start and ended up with a candidate that was apparently somewhat far down on his list of choices. If Muschamp works out no one will care at all, but if he doesn't then people will say that Tanner really screwed that whole process up. I agree though that it would be harder for him to explain a bad hire in baseball. He should know the program better than anyone and know what he's looking for in a coach. Couple that with the fact that we have a top notch program and should be able to have a great selection to pick from and it makes it much harder to get away with making a bad hire with this. I mean, if he doesn't get this one right I'm not sure we can trust him with any of the others.

That being said I'm firmly in the 95% that support Tanner and think he'll make a good hire this time. I also think he's a great AD for our coaches to work for and a good addition to the school.

Agree. I'm firmly in the 95% as well. 

From another board....

Here's what Rogers said on D1:

Keep a very close eye on Florida coach Kevin O’Sullivan. When we mentioned him on the hot board last night, several fans emailed me scoffing at the idea that Sully would leave Florida. However, for baseball and external reasons, this situation is vastly different than that of the Texas gig last summer. For starters, Sully spent several seasons at Clemson and very much knows the lay of the land in the Palmetto State. That wouldn’t have been the case at Texas. Sully also has some non-baseball factors that’d push him toward heavily considering the Gamecocks’ position.
It’s my belief that O’Sullivan would strongly consider the South Carolina job and very well could take it, but there are some sizable road blocks. O’Sullivan’s buyout at the moment is $1 million and shifts to 750K on July 1. However, there’s the potential that athletic director Ray Tanner could persuade O’Sullivan to take some of that buyout off the front-end of his salary the first few seasons, or find other, creative ways to pay the buyout.
What South Carolina does moving forward very much depends on how far Tanner is willing to go to reel in the big fish.

He was at the top of my wishlist so I'm definitely hoping we can land him. He has had a consistently good/great program down there for a while now and I imagine he'd be able to do great things here.

lol keep dreaming. 

Kendall Rogers is a bitch. 

I've seen a couple of places where candidates are listed and saw O'Sullivan at the top of the list.  I really can't see him jumping from UF.  However, I would hope Tanner would at least give him a call.

Really anxious to see who we get.

13 minutes ago, JoeGator said:

lol keep dreaming. 

Kendall Rogers is a bitch. 

You nervous?!

2 minutes ago, cocky4ever said:

You nervous?!

Not at all. 

Why would he leave?

5 minutes ago, JoeGator said:

Not at all. 

Why would he leave?

More money, better AD to work for, more supportive fan base, more talent to work with 

1 minute ago, cocky4ever said:

More money, better AD to work for, more supportive fan base, more talent to work with 

You can't be serious. 

More money? 

Florida has shown they will pay great coaches. Bidding war is my very least concern about any of our coaches.

Better AD?

How? Strucklin was wildly successful at MSU.

More supportive fan base?

Absolutely.

More talent to work with?

I can only assume you're trying to get me worked up.

Sully has recruited more talent and won more games at UF than anyone in college baseball this past decade.

But yeah, I'm sure he will bail on his best chances to win a title to go somewhere that has more fans and a nicer stadium.

4 minutes ago, JoeGator said:

You can't be serious. 

More money? 

Florida has shown they will pay great coaches. Bidding war is my very least concern about any of our coaches.

Better AD?

How? Strucklin was wildly successful at MSU.

More supportive fan base?

Absolutely.

More talent to work with?

I can only assume you're trying to get me worked up.

Sully has recruited more talent and won more games at UF than anyone in college baseball this past decade.

But yeah, I'm sure he will bail on his best chances to win a title to go somewhere that has more fans and a nicer stadium.

Best chances to win a title?? We've won 2 in the last 7 years and played for a third(beating UF out for the first one). I'd say his chances of winning one would be better here than in Gainesville. 

1 minute ago, cocky4ever said:

Best chances to win a title?? We've won 2 in the last 7 years and played for a third(beating UF out for the first one). I'd say his chances of winning one would be better here than in Gainesville. 

Because fan support > talent?

3 minutes ago, JoeGator said:

Because fan support > talent?

How many years in the past 10 has UF brought in a better recruiting class than us? Honest question because I don't really know, but I'd be surprised if it's more than one or two.

5 minutes ago, cocky4ever said:

How many years in the past 10 has UF brought in a better recruiting class than us? Honest question because I don't really know, but I'd be surprised if it's more than one or two.

I would guess the opposite. That 1 or 2 times we DIDNT bring in a better class. 

Ill look. 

Brb. 

2016:

UF 7

SC 15

2015:

UF 7

SC 6

2014:

UF 3

SC 6

2013:

UF 1

SC 3

2012:

UF 6

SC 9

2011:

UF 2

SC 1

All of those years UF's average recruits has been much more highly rated than SC's average recruit. 

3 minutes ago, JoeGator said:

2016:

UF 7

SC 15

2015:

UF 7

SC 6

2014:

UF 3

SC 6

2013:

UF 1

SC 3

2012:

UF 6

SC 9

2011:

UF 2

SC 1

All of those years UF's average recruits has been much more highly rated than SC's average recruit. 

Well that honestly does surprise me. I knew we were usually near the top but didn't realize UF recruited so well. Generally only separated by 1 to 3 spots though. I'll be interested to see how much better our recruiting gets with O'Sullivan here.

2 minutes ago, cocky4ever said:

Well that honestly does surprise me. I knew we were usually near the top but didn't realize UF recruited so well. Generally only separated by 1 to 3 spots though. I'll be interested to see how much better our recruiting gets with O'Sullivan here.

You'll catch @Hoganknows with an Obama shrine before you find that out. 

Please don't hire that toolbag