Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hog_heaven

2017 NFL Draft

26 posts in this topic

My (humble) Five thoughts from day 1 of the draft. 

1. 'Cleveland Rocks!' The Browns certainly went Moneyball last night. I don't know who between Sashi Brown or Paul DePodesta, or both, are to get credit for what happened last night but, IMO, they drafted 3 starters, and possibly 3 game changers last night with Garret, Peppers and Njoku (TE out of the U). 

1a. Not only did Cleveland rack up an impressive 1st rd, they are stocking up picks for next years draft. Already owning 2 first rd picks (one from Houston) and 3 second rd picks. If they continue to build smartly the rest of this draft, don't overpay with a stupid FA move and draft like this next year... The Land may be relevant in all 3 major sports at the same time. 

2. John Lynch let it be known he hits as hard off the field as he did on. That trade with Chicago was brutal to watch and I know Bears fans can't be happy to give up so much for a kid that played one season. Who knows, maybe this kid will turn out to be the next Manning, maybe not, but more on that later. Lynch used the 2nd pick, to move back one spot, to 3. In return, the 40-whiners received Da Bears 3rd overall, 3rd round, 4th round AND 2018 3rd round picks. WOW!

Then, just when you thought he was done,  He used one of those picks from Chicago, (Pick 111) coupled with SF's 2nd round pick to move back in the 1st round and get Reuben Foster. So, according to Lynch, they drafted the 2nd and 3rd overall picks, on their board. 

3. Deshaun Watson may not start the season but he has no excuses. With that team, already being playoff ready and you give him a solid year to learn the offense, he is set up to succeed, period. 

4. Chicago, why?! Why would you do this. What happens with Glennon now that you JUST paid $48 million to (14 guaranteed)?! I get that you are saying Trubisky will be the 'QB of the future' and won't play this year... And I know, if he pans out, no one will remember what you gave up for him. But this has RG3 written all over it. Remember when (then STL) Rams sent out all the people that drafted, from the trade picks they got from Washington, for the coin toss against the 'Skins? (A game in which Cousins was the starter...) COLD BLOODED. For some reason, I see SF doing this to CHI in a few years. Soloman Thomas, Foster, and the other two, walk out to the coin toss to stand accross from the next QB after Trubisky fails... HAHA

5. The fall of the Bama players. It was shocking to see and in a draft that had two players each from Stanford, LSU and Clemson go in the first 12.. it was a little surprising to see the first Bama player not taken until 16. And you would have won a TON of money if you would have bet that Humphrey would have been the 1st Bama player's name to be called. (And a Tenner player was drafted before a Bama player. Trollface and such)

Bonus thought: 

With all the trades in rd 1, I am actually a little excited about rd 2 and 3 tonight. As a Cowboys fan, I would LOVE to see them trade up and get some much needed secondary help. Either Budda Baker, Safety or Sidney Jones, Corner, both out of Washington or perhaps Wilson or Tabor, both Corners out of Florida. I was really hoping White out of LSU or Adoree Jackson out of USC would fall to Dallas at 28 but it didn't happen. 

this draft, it seems like the owners are wanting to put the Mel Kipers out of business for sure

12 minutes ago, Haymaker said:

this draft, it seems like the owners are wanting to put the Mel Kipers out of business for sure

More budget cuts?

I was really hoping Jarrad Davis (LB, Florida) would fall to the Raiders, but the Lions scooped him up a few picks before us.

We ended up with Gareon Conley, CB Ohio St. Dude is athletic as hell but isn't very physical. We'll see how he holds up. Hope we can snag an ILB tonight who has starting potential, dunno whos left though.

3 minutes ago, Coqui said:

I was really hoping Jarrad Davis (LB, Florida) would fall to the Raiders, but the Lions scooped him up a few picks before us.

We ended up with Gareon Conley, CB Ohio St. Dude is athletic as hell but isn't very physical. We'll see how he holds up. Hope we can snag an ILB tonight who has starting potential, dunno whos left though.

Dion sanders wasn't physical

It's the NFL who knows their reasoning at times? I'm sure with the caps and needs somebody smarter than me has their teams future forecast years ahead as far as needs. I was surprised Watson wasn't taken earlier QB is a game changer in the league and I definitely see him doing well. As far as Bama players my money would have been on Cam Robinson going first LT is another one of those positions. He didn't even go first round so there's what I know.. Jonathan Allen too.. How many Bama defenders are on the Ravens squad now? 

17 minutes ago, RammaJamma said:

It's the NFL who knows their reasoning at times? I'm sure with the caps and needs somebody smarter than me has their teams future forecast years ahead as far as needs. I was surprised Watson wasn't taken earlier QB is a game changer in the league and I definitely see him doing well. As far as Bama players my money would have been on Cam Robinson going first LT is another one of those positions. He didn't even go first round so there's what I know.. Jonathan Allen too.. How many Bama defenders are on the Ravens squad now? 

Well Ozzie newsome is their GM

4 minutes ago, GoldenRebel said:

Yep from the big city of Leighton Al spot in the road with nothing but cotton fields and what used to be a helluva high school football team. I don't know who's still on roster but thats Cody, Upshaw, Mosely, and now Humphrey I think.

The Bungles just took known woman-beater Joe Mixon. What a great fit

13 hours ago, GoldenRebel said:

Now add Tim Williams to that Ravens list.

Pretty cool the Redskins took Johnathan Allen and Ryan Anderson they'll be a helluva addition to that defense together.

"Alabama has 9 players drafted in the first 79 picks," Feldman tweeted. "The entire Big 12 combined has produced 3."

Alabama broke two NFL draft records Friday night.

Five more Crimson Tide players were selected Friday during rounds two and three of the draft after four Alabama players went during the first round on Thursday.

The Tide became the first team in draft history with seven players selected during the first 55 picks of the draft and the first with nine players chosen during the first 80 picks.

22 hours ago, Haymaker said:

It seems to me that a handful of GMs bet their career on this draft.  Biggest mistake was overlooking offensive linemen in the first round.

45 minutes ago, Noah said:

"Alabama has 9 players drafted in the first 79 picks," Feldman tweeted. "The entire Big 12 combined has produced 3."

Alabama broke two NFL draft records Friday night.

Five more Crimson Tide players were selected Friday during rounds two and three of the draft after four Alabama players went during the first round on Thursday.

The Tide became the first team in draft history with seven players selected during the first 55 picks of the draft and the first with nine players chosen during the first 80 picks.

Saban under performs

A rapist and a person who admitted to failing multiple drug test are drafted in the second round and Kelly is considered bigger baggage because he can whip their ass. Hahahahahahaha ! Hypocracy anybody?

QBs

Trubisky has potential,  but the bears coulda focused on glennon and spent their first pick better.

chiefs blew it with mahomes. hes gonna flame out quick. 

watson and texans seem a good match. im intrigued. 

RBs

I thought dalvin cook would go earlier. 

jaguars wasted a pick on fournette, and also ruined his career.  its a catch 22.

the cowboys guest picker last night really sticking it to the eagles fans was funny. 

Fournette will be broken physically in pre season probably

Fournette got his fame from the first 6 games of '15......rode it all the way to a top 10 pick

2 hours ago, Haymaker said:

Fournette got his fame from the first 6 games of '15......rode it all the way to a top 10 pick

The auburn kid trying to tackle him was all the game film they wanted

34 minutes ago, bbqit said:

IMG_2225.PNG

so five stars are overrated?

3 hours ago, bbqit said:

The auburn kid trying to tackle him was all the game film they wanted

i tried to tackle a guy like that in high school.it didn't work for me either.it was just a piss poor attempt and embarrassing to boot...

3 hours ago, L.A.Hog said:

so five stars are overrated?

There are roughly 35-45 5 star players in any given year 

Do the math. Seven of the first 112 picks in this draft played defense last season for Alabama. That's an average of one Crimson Tide defender chosen every 16 picks before the fourth round was even halfway through.

That's an astounding amount of talent to lose from one unit in one year. It's not unprecedented - LSU had eight defensive players drafted in 2013 - but it has to be a serious concern for Saban and coordinator Jeremy Pruitt looking forward to the 2017 season.

To be frank, Alabama could very well match those numbers next season. Anthony Averett, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Da’Ron Payne, Da’Shawn Hand, Rashaan Evans, and Calvin Ridley should all be locks to go in the first three rounds while Robert Foster, Tony Brown, Shaun Dion Hamilton, Hootie Jones, Bo Scarbrough, Damien Harris and Ronnie Harrison all have the potential to work their way into that group.

• zartan
      It's funny black guy acts like a thug, carries a gun, gets killed by law enforcement, you smile but somehow you are all gonna be a senior citizen version of Rambo when confronted by the authorities  
    • zartan
      I dunno you tell us im sure that is your search criteria on Tinder
    • zartan
      I think the simplest indicator is the popular vote, which you lost by 3 million  how come Hillary actually paid a price for calling people deplorables, but nothing happens to Trump for anything he says? because conservatives are phony amoral hypocrites
    • WDavE
      But for the most part we're better armed....
    • smokeyone
      Zartan is slowly moving to the right end of the spectrum, he just enjoys the troll life
  • Popular Contributors

1. 1
      smokeyone
      smokeyone
    2. 2
      bbqit
      bbqit
    3. 3
      possumslayer
      possumslayer
    4. 4
      cocky4ever