Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bobbyb0322

Report: Texas decides to fire Charlie Strong, announcement possible Monday

23 posts in this topic

Strong is a great guy. I wish they let him finish the season then step down. 

Just now, HmanHunt said:

We should have a DC position to talk to him about

Stay away

1 minute ago, HmanHunt said:

Dibs he's from Batesville

Fuck!  Mark Martin and Charlie strong? Batesville got it going on

I've always like Strong.  I'd to see them get Dabo just to see Clemson crap them selves.  

But all signs point to Herman from Houston.

The head coaching job at Texas is one of the most prestigious in the country. With tons of financial support and plenty of top talent in the state, it has a chance to be one of the best jobs in the country.

And now it appears the job will be opening up. Per Brian Davis of the Austin American-Statesman, Texas has decided to fire head coach Charlie Strong. With a job as big as Texas, the firing and subsequent hiring process at the school is going to have huge ramifications, even on the SEC.

These are just some of the ways the Texas move will affect the conference.

Expect to hear Nick Saban rumors

The last time the job came open, Texas made a hard charge at Saban. In the time since then, Saban has added another national championship and currently has the Crimson Tide on a 23-game winning streak.

Texas figures to offer up a ton of money to whoever it hires. While Tom Herman is largely considered to be the favorite for the job, don’t be surprised to hear Saban’s name pop. Saban also is no longer the highest paid coach in college football, and could leverage the Texas opening into a big pay raise.

The LSU job loses a candidate

While LSU is a great job, most probably would pick Texas as the superior job. With someone taking the Longhorns gig, that removes one possible candidate from LSU’s pool.

The Tigers reportedly have set their sights on Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher, who was approached last season by the school. Should Fisher not have interest, it becomes unclear who the next set of candidates could be. A NOLA.com report named coaches such as Ed Orgeron and North Carolina’s Larry Fedora as possible options.

Does Texas A&M open up now?

There was a report that Strong and Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin had an equal chance of keeping their respective jobs, but that word came out before the Longhorns lost to Kansas for the first time since 1938.

Texas A&M is having another bad November, and a loss to LSU on Thanksgiving would drop the Aggies to 1-3 in November and 8-4 on the season. It would be the third consecutive season the Aggies have sputtered after getting off to a hot start. And with Texas making a move, why wouldn’t Texas A&M?

A name to watch for that one is Fedora, who was born in College Station.

Recruiting in Texas just became much more difficult

Strong had done a fairly decent job of recruiting in Texas, and it’s impossible to get all the top prospects the state has to offer. But the Longhorns’ last three recruiting classes ranked 7th, 10th and 16th, per 247Sports’ composite class rankings.

But if the Longhorns hire Herman or even Saban, expect to see Texas closer to the top of the rankings. Herman has shown he can get elite talent at a place like Houston, such as freshman defensive tackle Ed Oliver, a former 5-star recruit. Imagine what Herman could do at a place like Texas.

SEC teams have been able to go in and get players from the state, such as Ole Miss grabbing 5-star offensive tackle Greg Little in 2016 or Alabama getting Jalen Hurts. Texas probably will begin to keep some of those players in the state.

Does Charlie Strong return to the SEC?

Strong has a past in the conference, as he won two national championships as a defensive coordinator with Florida. Given that he’s shown he can run a program like Texas and that he’s won at Louisville, he probably could be a head coach again if he wants.

But Strong also can go back to the coordinator level and run a defense if he wants. Schools like Arkansas, Ole Miss and Mississippi State all figure to have openings at the position. Strong was on the Florida staff at the same time as current Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen. Would Strong be interested in working with him?

10 hours ago, RammaJamma said:

Here we go again Saban is gone..

Everyone with an opening  should make an offer to Saban and Meyer, no matter how delusional. 

I don't really think Sumlin is going anywhere yet  we owe him and his staff too much money  

22 hours ago, RammaJamma said:

Here we go again Saban is gone..

$120 million and Saban is history.

It makes me sad. I love Strong. He's a great man and great coach. Sometimesit takes more 5han that to be successful at big programs like texas, lsu, and aggy. It's far too political.  I'm not sure any of the great coaches in history could be successful at their schools today. Could you imagine bear bryant having to deal with big money boosters at bama? Dkr dealing with a red mccombs?

Anyway, charlie will land on his feet and do well. I say thanks and good luck.

I could see Strong landing at a school like nc state after this season. I think he's a good coach and he's proven he can win, but texas set him up for failure right out of the gate. Obviously the results fall on him but he wasn't done any favors by the boosters.

8 hours ago, cocky4ever said:

I could see Strong landing at a school like nc state after this season. I think he's a good coach and he's proven he can win, but texas set him up for failure right out of the gate. Obviously the results fall on him but he wasn't done any favors by the boosters.

It was doomed from the start.

I hate it for Charlie, he's one of the good guys, but he is going to get paid well and I hope he takes every penny from those pricks he can get.

Charlie just needs to look at it as winning the lottery and kick back and explore the rest of his life.

Must feel like the weight of the world lifted off his shoulders with a gift for it happening...

On November 21, 2016 at 8:23 PM, bulldawg28 said:

Strong to MSU.

He would do better there just by being able to recruit better talent. 

Fuck Texas 

but why michigan state?

Looks like coach o is staying with lsu and we get herman. Not sure I'd call it a great hire....

anyone know anything about dave aranda at LSU? rumor out that he might move to texas DC

Aranda has done a good job at lsu and they get great defensive talent there.I can't imagine him going to Texas to commit career suicide unless the money is too good to pass up.