TrueGCFan

President Trump

8,689 posts in this topic

So a teacher in the district just got a brand new car today for winning teacher of the year ..... did they have an sro or was this another gun free zone?

20 minutes ago, smokeyone said:

My family on my moms side are newspaper folk. My Aunt had a 40 career with the Daily Times in Maryville TN and my Uncle spent 46 years in the newspaper industry between the News Sentinel, Free Times, Daily Times and Tennesseean. I don't need google to tell me why newspapers are failing. 

Fucks sake when did people stop thinking for themselves and rely strictly on Google. 

I dunno, maybe about the same time people starting thinking that their personal experiences could automatically be applied universally?

23 hours ago, cocky4ever said:

Well, I do think he made everything worse. If he hadn’t then I doubt Trump would be the president right now.

You're wrong. Sorry, but you are. That's not how it works.

hard not to get angry because you know nothing will change

57 minutes ago, jthomas666 said:

I dunno, maybe about the same time people starting thinking that their personal experiences could automatically be applied universally?

Did you Google that?

46 minutes ago, zartan said:

hard not to get angry because you know nothing will change

Change isn't always progress. 

1 minute ago, L.A.Hog said:

Image result

Like voting for parties instead of people

1 minute ago, Rebel WITH a cause said:

yep...and blindly following them no matter what...

Edited by L.A.Hog

18 minutes ago, smokeyone said:

Change isn't always progress. 

You digging the status quo on this one, smokes?

23 minutes ago, zartan said:

You digging the status quo on this one, smokes?

The number 18 for school shooting this year is misleading. In fact if you remove suicide and no injuries from the tally you drop to about 5 with done on purpose and caused an injury it drops to 3 with 2 of those being domestic violence issues. So mass school shootings this year we have 1, not 18. 

And short of involuntary commitment to a treatment center these things are a fact of life. And since we don't know who will flip and start shooting up something involuntary commitment is not a viable option and would violate civil rights of the mentally disabled. Our society refuses to acknowledge that people with mental disorders are not normal and this is the price we choose to pay to ignore reality and avoid stigmatizing people. 

The hard part for me is mental illness is usually outside ones control and not self inflicted so they deserve to be protected from the idea they are second class citizens. Most folks with mild to moderate illness function perfectly in our society so preemptively removing them from society serves no purpose. 

In this case I would like to know where he got a firearm and if it wasn't stolen then that person has civil if not legal culpability in this tragedy. 

I don't see a new law or existing law deterring this sort of thing. So that's a non sequitur for me. More people died from car crashes, cancer, the flu, and abortion today than in this single event but it dominated the news cycle and folks want answers for it.  

19 minutes ago, zartan said:

l2jy7og1t8g01.jpg

So what is your knee jerk do something answer? 

58 minutes ago, Rebel WITH a cause said:

People need parties to get elected. Trump is as close to an independent as you have as president in the modern era and look at the issues he has had because he didn't start out with the support of his party to push his agenda. Look at the issues he has had getting appointments passed because he lacked party support. 

You simply can't govern without the full backing of a party and haven't been able to since the war of 1812. 

Never heard of a school shooting when I was young. Folks even went to school with full rear window gun racks ready to leave for camp on Friday. There is something more to this than availablity of guns and video games. Need to look a lot farther into this and refrain from lazy research and investigations. 

People think you need parties because that’s what the parties want them to think. Used to be that people in local elections would be chosen based on who was best for the job. In the last 50 years the 2 prevailing parties have brainwashed the local electorate into voting against the best candidates the same way nationals have been. But keep believing what you want. 

19 minutes ago, smokeyone said:

The number 18 for school shooting this year is misleading. In fact if you remove suicide and no injuries from the tally you drop to about 5 with done on purpose and caused an injury it drops to 3 with 2 of those being domestic violence issues. So mass school shootings this year we have 1, not 18. 

And short of involuntary commitment to a treatment center these things are a fact of life. And since we don't know who will flip and start shooting up something involuntary commitment is not a viable option and would violate civil rights of the mentally disabled. Our society refuses to acknowledge that people with mental disorders are not normal and this is the price we choose to pay to ignore reality and avoid stigmatizing people. 

The hard part for me is mental illness is usually outside ones control and not self inflicted so they deserve to be protected from the idea they are second class citizens. Most folks with mild to moderate illness function perfectly in our society so preemptively removing them from society serves no purpose. 

In this case I would like to know where he got a firearm and if it wasn't stolen then that person has civil if not legal culpability in this tragedy. 

I don't see a new law or existing law deterring this sort of thing. So that's a non sequitur for me. More people died from car crashes, cancer, the flu, and abortion today than in this single event but it dominated the news cycle and folks want answers for it.  

So in your opinion,we have one incident.

Damn

7 minutes ago, Rebel WITH a cause said:

People think you need parties because that’s what the parties want them to think. Used to be that people in local elections would be chosen based on who was best for the job. In the last 50 years the 2 prevailing parties have brainwashed the local electorate into voting against the best candidates the same way nationals have been. But keep believing what you want. 

Oh at the very local level you can and do have nonpartisan elections. Anything higher than county level requires a party to back you. The idea that you don't need support to set up events, mail out brochures, man phone banks, make and distribute signs, make and run ads, set up debates, get a message out is ignorant of what it takes to run a campaign. And that's before you look at funding a run at office. And if the other guy has it and you don't you will not even be a blip on the election radar. 

And it is always a 2 party race at the end. Even European parties with 17 to 30 plus parties involved end up with 2 coalition parties when it's said and done.

12 minutes ago, L.A.Hog said:

So in your opinion,we have one incident.

Damn

Do you want to include domestic violence and suicides or cases where no one was injured in mass shootings? That seems intellectually dishonest.

Just now, smokeyone said:

Do you want to include domestic violence and suicides or cases where no one was injured in mass shootings? That seems intellectually dishonest.

Why are you trying to minimize these events?

20 minutes ago, bbqit said:

Never heard of a school shooting when I was young. Folks even went to school with full rear window gun racks ready to leave for camp on Friday. There is something more to this than availablity of guns and video games. Need to look a lot farther into this and refrain from lazy research and investigations. 

The rise in the use of psychosomatic drugs to control small children would be where I began looking for answers. 

Just now, L.A.Hog said:

Why are you trying to minimize these events?

Because they are not mass shootings. Why are you trying to inflate numbers? The number 18 was put out by bloombergs everytown anti gun group and doesn't hold up to scrutiny. 

50 minutes ago, smokeyone said:

So what is your knee jerk do something answer? 

knee jerk?

how many more dead kids do you need?

The firearm system did not fail us.  The person who gave a mentally unstable 19 year old with a track record of disciplinary issues a gun failed us.  Our society of creating mental disorders and not taking necessary corrective actions failed us.

You can ban Ar15s all you want, but the reality is its not that hard to get your hands on an illegal lower receiver.  South American countries are producing them by the truckload and selling them on the streets.  People have made successful receivers on 3d printers.  Its not a difficult product to reproduce.  They aren't going away.  Where there is demand there will always be supply.