TrueGCFan

President Trump

17,477 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, smokeyone said:

We as a nation have decided that this stuff is better than the idea that people with mental illness are not normal. 

I think it’s beyond that....it’s that our society gives people mental illness, or at least makes them mentally unstable. I was listening to a podcast about depression earlier in the week and heard a good quote: “home is anywhere that your absence will be noticed and felt if you aren’t there”. In our society the family unit is crumbling, and even in homes where the family unit is still in place the units are smaller as well as the extended family. Parents are busy working jobs in which they could instantly be replaced, and with both parents working the amount of time a kid spends with his parents is drastically reduced. Then they go to school and for lots of them they are just another face. And for too many people the answer is to put the kids on drugs so they can get through school, and when they grow up and are depressed because their situation they can just take a drug to turn off the fact that their brain is telling them that they aren’t fulfilled. Obviously there is legit mental illness, but I think the country is completely over-medicated. It’s easy to call it mental illness, and you have to be mentally ill to do it, but I’m pretty certain almost all of them feel meaningless. And when you feel meaningless almost anything that will give you meaning starts looking appealing. Sure we’ve all felt meaningless to a certain extent and never dreamed of doing anything like that, but the more our society tilts towards those environments the more of these types of things we’ll see.

Just now, Haymaker said:

In a violent movie, the watcher doesn't shoot a thousand people in two hour increments allllll like day long for most days in a month so no correlation

And I mentioned mentally fucked kids

Again, studies have already been done, just like they have been for violent movies/tv shows. There's no correlation with either. And the videos that DJ Crenshaw posted nail the point home pretty well.  It's just people looking for something easy to blame.

Shit we need to pay more taxes and get mental health institutions back? 

Sounds crazy

4 minutes ago, smokeyone said:

Nobody takes newspapers seriously these days because they are generally hard left politically and the country isn't. 

You're wrong.  There are any number of demonstrable causes, almost all related to the internet in one form or another:

News delivered to your computer is even more convenient than news delivered to your door.

News agencies were slow to realize the threat posed by the internet, and did a piss poor job adapting to it. The result of the various budget cutbacks causes a reduction in serious, in depth reporting in favor of blog-level quick takes.

I understand that you have been conditioned to blame everything on the left. In this case, while you may be to the Right, you are not right.

My kids are all school-aged and my wife is a high school teacher.  This shit absolutely tears at my soul.

2 minutes ago, Haymaker said:

In a violent movie, the watcher doesn't shoot a thousand people in two hour increments allllll like day long for most days in a month so no correlation

And I mentioned mentally fucked kids

I don’t know about video games but I’ve said for a long time that the kinds of videos you can stumble across online can give a person varying degrees of PTSD. I don’t have time for video games anymore, but when I did I could play for a few hours and the biggest impact would be my frustration if the system lagged. Meanwhile if I accidentally watch a gory video it can hit me for a day or two. I’ve never watched many or set out to watch them, but people can sit in their room and watch videos of some of the worst sh!t mankind has to offer for hours on end.

1 minute ago, Titans4Vols said:

Again, studies have already been done, just like they have been for violent movies/tv shows. There's no correlation with either. And the videos that DJ Crenshaw posted nail the point home pretty well.  It's just people looking for something easy to blame.

I would like to read about those studies

Because your synapses are being formed while young and if you sit there for hours upon hours killing people for years and years, it's gonna affect you, especially if you are mentally fucked

What I described above, to the brain, is completely unlike watching a movie that has violent scenes

A) as a watcher, you are also the shooter and this happens continuously for hours, days, months, years......wwhereas watching a movie, you aren't an active shooter and the violence lasts for seconds 

3 minutes ago, jthomas666 said:

You're wrong.  There are any number of demonstrable causes, almost all related to the internet in one form or another:

News delivered to your computer is even more convenient than news delivered to your door.

News agencies were slow to realize the threat posed by the internet, and did a piss poor job adapting to it. The result of the various budget cutbacks causes a reduction in serious, in depth reporting in favor of blog-level quick takes.

I understand that you have been conditioned to blame everything on the left. In this case, while you may be to the Right, you are not right.

It's all age related. The future is not print though

1 minute ago, cocky4ever said:

I don’t know about video games but I’ve said for a long time that the kinds of videos you can stumble across online can give a person varying degrees of PTSD. I don’t have time for video games anymore, but when I did I could play for a few hours and the biggest impact would be my frustration if the system lagged. Meanwhile if I accidentally watch a gory video it can hit me for a day or two. I’ve never watched many or set out to watch them, but people can sit in their room and watch videos of some of the worst sh!t mankind has to offer for hours on end.

Don't watch live leaks on youtube

Just now, DjCrenshaw said:

It's all age related. The future is not print though

No, it's not.  I love the tactile sensation of browsing through a bookstore, but I love the ability pull pull up anything on my kindle even more.

Just now, Haymaker said:

Because your synapses are being formed while young and if you sit there for hours upon hours killing people for years and years, it's gonna affect you, especially if you are mentally fucked

What I described above, to the brain, is completely unlike watching a movie that has violent scenes

A) as a watcher, you are also the shooter and this happens continuously for hours, days, months, years......wwhereas watching a movie, you aren't an active shooter and the violence lasts for seconds 

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-video-games-inspire-violent-behavior/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170308081057.htm

There's plenty others found through googling, but there's a couple.

Some studies actually say violent video games have helped decrease violent outbursts, as noted in this wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_controversies#Studies_on_the_effect_on_crime

In 2008, records held by the US Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention and Office of Justice Programs indicated that arrests for violent crime in the US had decreased since the early 1990s in both children and adults.[87][88][89] This decrease occurred despite increasing sales of violent video games and increases in graphically violent content in those games

Other studies have examined data on violent video games and crime trends more closely and have come to the conclusion that the release of very popular violent video games are causally associated with corresponding declines in violent crime in the short term. A 2011 study by the Center for European Economic Research[101] found that violent video games may reducing crime. This is possibly because the time spent playing games reduces time spent engaged in more antisocial activities. Other recent studies by Patrick Markey[102] and Scott Cunningham[103] have come to similar conclusions.

Even the few articles that indicate maybe there's a link call it insignificant at best.

2 minutes ago, Haymaker said:

I have played a lot of games... if anything I am more likely to not shoot anyone. You have to have some sort of disconnect to not know digital from actuality. There is a mental disorder in anyone that is willing to kill.

Now can a home life where fantasy seems better than reality could affect someone.... I believe it's possible. 

I also question the forcing of kids to grow up too soon matters. There has been an emphasis on putting stress on kids at an early age can have an effect. 

Florida high school shooting: Live updates

By Veronica Rocha and Meg Wagner, CNN

Updated at 4:37 PM ET, Wed February 14, 2018

February 14, 2018 6:41pm EST

The shooting suspect was expelled from high school. Here's what else we know about him.

Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel identified the school shooting suspect as Nikolas Cruz. Here are the details Israel provided about him:

• He was once a student at Stoneman Douglas High School, but was expelled for disciplinary reasons. (Israel did not provide any specifics about the expulsion.)
  • He was born in September 1998 and is 19 years old.
  • He had one AR-15 style firearm and multiple magazines.
  • He was taken into custody after the shooting.
  • Deputies are looking through his social media and the websites he visited. "Some of the things that have come mind are very, very disturbing," the sheriff said.

Will the government monitor social media more?

51AZNmwwgxL._SY550_.jpg

'No Way To Prevent This,' Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens.

Look at the arms.... looks like a revenge power seeking faggot

29 minutes ago, jthomas666 said:

I'm including online content from newspapers in my statement. Hell I linked the online Boston Globe in the original post. Online or hard copy newspapers are failing because they went hard left and the nation rejected that. 

9 minutes ago, DjCrenshaw said:

nikolas-cruz-florida-school-shooting-02-

Yup dumb fuck.

nikolas-cruz.jpeg?quality=65&strip=all&w

6CEFD4jX.jpg

The handgun is likely an air soft gun. The tip is red and it looks off for a Beretta 92.

1 minute ago, smokeyone said:

I'm including online content from newspapers in my statement. Hell I linked the online Boston Globe in the original post. Online or hard copy newspapers are failing because they went hard left and the nation rejected that. 

If you google "why are newspapers failing" the results are overwhelming towards the internet, with few, if any, references to ideology.  But you do you, player.

truthiness.jpg

Not all have.... there are conservative ones as well. Maybe not as many mainstream ones but they exist. Here is the thing though, people love editorials more than news... that's the problem

The handgun is likely an air soft gun. The tip is red and it looks off for a Beretta 92.

And the message for the knife is that it wasn't custom made but from walmart. He is a bitch that wanted to show power 

1 minute ago, jthomas666 said:

If you google "why are newspapers failing" the results are overwhelming towards the internet, with few, if any, references to ideology.  But you do you, player.

truthiness.jpg

My family on my moms side are newspaper folk. My Aunt had a 40 career with the Daily Times in Maryville TN and my Uncle spent 46 years in the newspaper industry between the News Sentinel, Free Times, Daily Times and Tennesseean. I don't need google to tell me why newspapers are failing. 

Fucks sake when did people stop thinking for themselves and rely strictly on Google. 

3 minutes ago, DjCrenshaw said:

And the message for the knife is that it wasn't custom made but from walmart. He is a bitch that wanted to show power 

At least I can guess from with what has been provided info wise 

4 minutes ago, DjCrenshaw said:

Too many wannabe thugs and gangsters with mental illnesses.