Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Benny

John Cohen as AD?

26 posts in this topic

What are your thoughts?

On one hand I'd definitely like a winner to be responsible for our AD but he has no experience. Nothing we can't supplement with quality associates though.. pay someone to raise the money and someone else to be in charge of marketing. Let Cohen be the face and lead the important decisions like firing/hiring and facilities.

Interested to hear from LSU or USC fans on how their baseball coach to AD transitions went.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Interested to hear from LSU or USC fans on how their baseball coach to AD transitions went.

Pretty sure SC has been a failure to the outside world. No idea what they think about Tanner internally. 

Personally i i like the idea of going outside the network and bringing in someone with new contacts and fresh ideas. Someone who has no personal interest in the school and no long time buddies pulling at his shirt tail

The only big decision Tanner has had to make is the new football coach. The previous AD had a facilities upgrade plan already laid out so he's just following along with that.

Internally, I know a lot of fans are unhappy about Tanner's decision to hire Muschamp, but at the same time there weren't a lot of big names that would actually come to SC. Rumor has it that Herman was interested until we lost to The Citadel, and he wanted a contract with a very low buyout so he could bolt when his dream job opened up. I'm glad Herman didn't come here because he'd see it as a stepping stone to somewhere like Texas or Southern Cal.

Only time will tell if his sole decision he's had to make plays out well. If Muschamp ends up being a success here, he will stay here a long time because we were the school to give him another shot. If it goes poorly, worst case scenario is that we have a lot of Talent due to Muschamp's recruiting efforts and we get a big name coach to come in and use that talent to win games. Tanner's outcome as AD is tied directly to Muschamp's success at USC. 

Rather have Jackie Sherrill...first person on the chopping block would be Bracky Brett. Maybe we could buy some competitiveness then.

The other plus is we we can change the position title from AD to Kang.

Heck no.  That is unless he completely gives up coaching baseball.  No double duties.  But I'd rather still have him coaching baseball so.......... heck no.

37 minutes ago, JDawg said:

Heck no.  That is unless he completely gives up coaching baseball.  No double duties.  But I'd rather still have him coaching baseball so.......... heck no.

Depends who he would bring in to coach baseball but yeah an assumption is that he would be full time AD with no involvement in the baseball coach outside of being the AD.

I'm all for whoever will make Mullen fire Hevesy and Sallach. 

I would assume not firing Holbrook after his first two seasons when SC fans were melting down, is another major decision made by Tanner. 

Having Cohen as AD would be worth it if for no other reason than to see all baseball fans stuck in the 1980's lose their shit.

21 hours ago, nova said:

I'm all for whoever will make Mullen fire Hevesy and Sallach. 

That's a slippery slope right there. It's my firm belief that the assistant hires for sports team are solely on the head coach of that team. I don't think the athletic director should have any influence at all on who that coach hires. Look at teams like Alabama, where the AD pretty much gives Saban a blank check, and at SC when Spurrier first came here. 

Just look at Michigan. When Rich Rod was there, Michigan didn't let him do it the way he wanted.

7 minutes ago, Sean said:

That's a slippery slope right there. It's my firm belief that the assistant hires for sports team are solely on the head coach of that team. I don't think the athletic director should have any influence at all on who that coach hires. Look at teams like Alabama, where the AD pretty much gives Saban a blank check, and at SC when Spurrier first came here. 

Just look at Michigan. When Rich Rod was there, Michigan didn't let him do it the way he wanted.

Yeah well, I look at Hevesy and think WTF are you doing coaching any level of football.  Same with Sallach.  Watch our o-line play against AU and see what I mean.  Martinez Rankin was the #1 Juco OT in the country, red-shirted a year and now doesn't know his ass from his elbow.  Several plays looked like he had no idea where he was and/or didn't want to touch Lawson.  A sandbag could have blocked better.

For that matter Greg Knox needs to go to.  A half dozen running backs on the roster, all 4-5 star kids with at least 2 years in the program, including Nick Gibson who had a legit UA offer and apparently the only 2 that know the playbook well enough to see the field are the pipsqueak Holloway and Ashton "fall over after 2 ft" Shumpert. 

Looks like this may be happening.  Report just hit....

Clarion ledger reporting Cohen will be AD

now who do you hire for baseball? 

At this point I think you have to let Cohen coach 2017 and then make a hire in the summer. Or let henderson be the interim HC. But then you run the risk of keeping him long term and I don't think he's the correct answer. 

3 minutes ago, GoldenRebel said:

Clarion ledger reporting Cohen will be AD

now who do you hire for baseball? 

I'm sure he'll do both baseball and be AD.

If we can't get a splash hire in baseball I'd much rather Cohen double time for a season than to let Henderson coach.

Sixpack and the admin are really butthurt about Bonner aren't they? Yet before bonner even reported it one of your notable alums was telling people state knew for quite some time that Cohen would replace stricklin. Said they have been aware that stricklin was being courted by florida for many months now. 

Which is probably why bonner and the CL are sticking to their guns so tight. Sounds like this has been well known around the program for a while. Unfortunately the news hit the public before state had interviews people which is against state law. Got to post the job and conduct interviews before announcing a hire. 

Why Cohen?  Just seems odd to me.  Why go all in on baseball? How much moneh do y'all even make on it? It can't be a drop in the bucket compared to what we get off basketball.

I don't think it's all in on baseball.  Word is he's a smoozer who knows how to extract money out of people and that's a big part of being an AD.  Besides being a baseball coach he's also a general sports fan.  Word is he's known to show up at all sorts of games around campus.....

Cohen has been an important figure for a while. He was part of the mullen hiring process and howland. In fact his vote of yes was required for the hire from my understanding

Cohen is certainly more AD savvy than your typical coaches

7 hours ago, nova said:

I don't think it's all in on baseball.  Word is he's a smoozer who knows how to extract money out of people and that's a big part of being an AD.  Besides being a baseball coach he's also a general sports fan.  Word is he's known to show up at all sorts of games around campus.....

I can see that. The moment he stepped on Kentucky's campus he had baseball at the forefront and excitement around that program I've not seen before or since.  He really knows how to sell a vision.

On a sidenote, our shithead of an AD who promised Cohen new facilities and a field (and didnt deliver which is part of the reason he left us for y'all) is only now about to break ground on them.  Its been what....a decade?  Pitiful.  Same guy who let Rich Brooks retire rather than upgrade the practice facilities, which we just finished this summer finally as well.

Anyway Cohen initially seemed like an odd choice but the more I think about it the more I can see it.

• zartan
      It's funny black guy acts like a thug, carries a gun, gets killed by law enforcement, you smile but somehow you are all gonna be a senior citizen version of Rambo when confronted by the authorities  
    • zartan
      I dunno you tell us im sure that is your search criteria on Tinder
    • zartan
      I think the simplest indicator is the popular vote, which you lost by 3 million  how come Hillary actually paid a price for calling people deplorables, but nothing happens to Trump for anything he says? because conservatives are phony amoral hypocrites
    • WDavE
      But for the most part we're better armed....
    • smokeyone
      Zartan is slowly moving to the right end of the spectrum, he just enjoys the troll life
  • Popular Contributors

1. 1
      smokeyone
      smokeyone
    2. 2
      bbqit
      bbqit
    3. 3
      possumslayer
      possumslayer
    4. 4
      cocky4ever