Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jacobp

Arkansas Track Completes SEC Sweep

71 posts in this topic

Y'all really do get into this track bobby_petrino.gif don't you?

Considering I ran track at a highly competitive level.... yes

ESPN 8 the OCHO has marathon coverage of the NCAAs right now.

Current projections have it this way.

1. LSU

2. Arkansas

2. Oregon

4. Florida

Early morning coverage on espn3.

Regular coverage will resume on espnu today

Excuse me... this is in Ark Sports. Not a Trash talk thread. Please follow the site guidelines.

:trollface:

Considering I ran track at a highly competitive level.... yes

No kidding? I get into it during the Olympics. I had a couple buddies on the track team in high school. It's definitely an impressive sport to compete in, just not to follow.

Through 6 of 21 finals completed, Arkansas women lead at NCAA outdoors with 26 points. Texas A&M 2nd with 16 points.

No kidding? I get into it during the Olympics. I had a couple buddies on the track team in high school. It's definitely an impressive sport to compete in, just not to follow.

I was really competitive in the 1600 and 3200. I was never able to break the 4 min mile. My strongest event was the 2 mile. Getting my time to a sub 9 min mark in college.

I remember when I joined the Navy and went into boot camp, the 1st time we ran our practice PRT (1.5 miles) I did it in under 7 mins and all the RDC (Drill instructors) thought I had cheated the laser lap tracking tool.

Is track like some of the other prep sports where those who recruit the best almost always win the most?

How much does development play a part at this stage?

Is track like some of the other prep sports where those who recruit the best almost always win the most?

How much does development play a part at this stage?

IMO you can develop certain track athletes more than others. For instance, long distance running is about endurance and pace. If you get a raw athlete that doesn't understand pace, how important drafting is, if they are a "kick runner" or not (EVERY LDR thinks they are, very few are) you can take that and tweak his/her abilities to be an elite competitor.

I know technique is big in field events such as long jump, high jump, triple jump, pole vault, and the strength events like discus/hammer. You can take Eddie Hall (World Strongest Man) and he can't throw a shot put farther than an Olympic athlete.

That being said, no matter the training and dedication to, I would have never had the raw ability needed to become a 100 or 200m sprinter.

After Saturday mourning swim practices, one of my coaches used to make us go run the mile and two mile at the high school track meets.

I won the 2 a couple times and finished last in the 400.

I was a snob so I never ran the 400 or 800 again.

Day 2 in the books. Women have 6 out of 21 events complete while men have 7 of 21.

As Jacob mentioned earlier, Ark women leading the way over A&M. Other SEC schools current standings/points:

UGA - 3rd / 13

Florida - 5th /11

Ole Miss - t6th / 10

Bama - t8th / 8

Tenner - t22nd/ 4

LSU - t26th/3

Mizzou - t33rd / 1

SEC Men are also having a strong showing. Current standings/points:

A&M 2nd / 18

Ark 3rd / 16

Tenner t5th / 10

MSU t5th / 10

UF t5th / 10

UGA t13th / 8

Ken t32nd / 3

USC t37th / 2

OM t39th / 1

Men's events wrap up today.

After Saturday mourning swim practices, one of my coaches used to make us go run the mile and two mile at the high school track meets.

I won the 2 a couple times and finished last in the 400.

I had to do the 3200 - relay once. Pretty much running a 800M... I got destroyed. LOL

I had to do the 3200 - relay once. Pretty much running a 800M... I got destroyed. LOL

I think running track is why I still hate cardio to this day.

I know your feels on that one. During my comp prep, I had to do fasted morning cardio. After about a week of trying different ones, I figured out I burn more calories walking up and down the stairs in my house for 30 mins than I do running (7 min mile pace) for 30 mins.

So my ass started walking them stairs every morning. HAHA

Then it comes down to building a team and strategy to win team events.

McDonnell initially made Arkansas a perennial power by recruiting internationally and dominating the distance events.

Same here but from baseball. We ran, ran and ran some more. And after that we ran. I hate it.

I know your feels on that one. During my comp prep, I had to do fasted morning cardio. After about a week of trying different ones, I figured out I burn more calories walking up and down the stairs in my house for 30 mins than I do running (7 min mile pace) for 30 mins.

So my ass started walking them stairs every morning. HAHA

This. Instead of doing exactly what you mentioned, I put on something on the dvr and set the treadmill incline to intervals. Can burn more calories at a decent paced walk for 30 minutes than running 3 miles

I only did it a handful of times and never trained for it.

I would probably just bitch out if I had ever had to actually practice.

I don't know how people do it, much less enjoy it.

No one got or liked the dodgeball reference?

We got it Smokey.... it just wasn't funny.