GatorUnvrsty

Found Its Way Into Your Safe

727 posts in this topic

Get a Mossberg 500 or 590.  I've got a 500A  that was beat to hell when I bought it and I've used and abused it more and it just keeps rolling. 

One of these days I need to refinish it where it rusted as it sat in the shed while we were building our house.  Kept having nasty looking stray dogs show up and I can't carry to work to I dropped the cheapest thing I had in the shed to keep on site...

My taste is evolving.   WASR 10   with  74 sunburst furniture.   

IMG_20171129_194857.jpg

21 hours ago, nova said:

Get a Mossberg 500 or 590.  I've got a 500A  that was beat to hell when I bought it and I've used and abused it more and it just keeps rolling. 

One of these days I need to refinish it where it rusted as it sat in the shed while we were building our house.  Kept having nasty looking stray dogs show up and I can't carry to work to I dropped the cheapest thing I had in the shed to keep on site...

Really leaning towards a maverick now. The drawbacks of the Remington but less than 200 new shipped with everything but the 12 lop stock. It will be a straight beater gun and doesn't need to be pretty just run.

Found a 1960s Franchi autoloader on gunbroker that might to the trick after the barrel is cut down. Beautiful firearm that deserves better but hell its value is almost gone because of a fixed choke anyway 

I am giving glocks another try. Bought a Glock 19 gen 3 frame today. Doing a brownelles RMR slide, wolf drop in barrel and guts from spare parts

On 12/2/2017 at 7:03 AM, Possum'sSister said:

Upgraded the Taurus .40 for a Springfield .45. Pics incoming

IMG_3958.JPG

Slide getting fitted for the Burris now. 

I pushed Glock sight out of the old slide and put it in backwards to blackout the sight. I can shoot it better that way

Unpacked my big black friday order from IMA last night.  The Martini I could probably spray down with CLP and shoot immediately if I wanted.  The Enfield is going to need a little work but is mostly sound it seems.  The Brown Bess, well old Bess is gonna need a lotta work, including a new stock.  Old one was so worm eaten it was falling apart in my hands nearly.

bess 1.jpg

bess 2.jpg

bess 3.jpg

enfield.jpg

martini.jpg

And I also figured out that my first Martini pattern A had been bastardized with a bunch of Francotte parts.  Think I'm gonna take it and rebarrel in 303.

303 Brit is a greatly undervalued round. 

The glock project is in the books. The Burris fast fire 2 plate is done and lined out. It's the first glock I have ever been able to shoot with accuracy and I am not going to mess with it unless something breaks. It was an old range gun with 10,000 plus rounds through it before I got it cheap. The slide was crack and needed to be replaced so I did an RMR slide, TTI master glock kit, cleaned everything else and ran it. 

I have moved up to a C93 (HK clone) to remake and get running right as a range toy now. 

I want the range toys of 2018 to be:

Custom savage axis 308

Semi Custom Glock 19

Centry C93 rebuilt

unkown tacticool shotgun

That covers the carbine, bolt gun, pistol and riot gun. 

Got my Nepalese Mark IV Martini Henry cleaned up this weekend.  Just need a rear sight spring and a screw that was corroded beyond saving, a couple minor stock repairs and a good coat of Kramers to be done.  I think I coulda spent a week straight sweating yak grease out of the thing....

martini 1.jpg

martini 2.jpg

martini 3.jpg

martini 4.jpg

martini 5.jpg

For comparison this was what it looked like to start....

martini.jpg

Bought a barreled receiver and  a romanian kit.   Thought ill try my hand at assembling.   Little grinding here and there   polished the trigger group from the feel of it after polishing it has a 1/4" pull 2 lb trigger,    she is ready for test fire.  Then ill tear it down and coat the metal. 

Looks like appliance epoxy is very popular  but i still have some gun kote in Satin black and coyote.   Already have  a satin black one.  Still deciding 

IMG_20180207_183112.jpg

IMG_20180207_181721.jpg

IMG_20180207_181709.jpg

Edited by AUskip07

On 10/27/2017 at 3:05 PM, nova said:

Remember the Taurus conversation we had not long ago.  Aim Surplus just posted this picture of a NIB Taurus.  And some people wonder why I'm not interested in guns named after bovines....

taurus qc.jpg

That'd be noteworthy if there hadn't been more than a dozen such pictures of S&W revolvers in various phases of assembly posted all over the internet in the last couple years; they had a rash of unfinished/incomplete revolvers just like that get past their QC, hit the market, and get delivered to customers... barrels not screwed on all the way.

Wish I could say that's unusual, but it's not; no shortage of problems and complaints on gun forums from fans and critics of every maker. Anything in my safe has earned its place there, in every price range.

My last choice in 10mm has been a good one...

52009_1911-A2_ROCK-Ultra-HC_FS_10mm_leftprofile.thumb.jpg.7e4b54d1a81cb43f4c1f6bed85d6c533.jpg

and I'm picking this one up at noon...

MossbergShockwave.thumb.jpg.a485ef37ad4dd0b5ea58d8c8c9ddc5e0.jpg

I'm waiting on a shockwave M.  Mag fed goodness!

This thread lost momentum.....    Ive been eating alot of Ramon and i just got a bonus so that meant a trip to the gun stores   Im building an AR10  6.5 creedmoor and my price is going to be just at $1100   with match grade barrel.   I was given a Leoupold 20x fixed power scope so that should take me out to as far as it can shoot.    

and i bought off armslist an 1872 cimarron open top revolver  in 38 special.   Fun gun to shoot and plink with

One of my newest guns is a 1961 Winchester Model 70, .270, the rifleman's rifle.

My favorite gun on the planet is a 67 Winchester model 100 in .308

Basically the semiauto version of your 70. I'm dead on every time I shoulder the thing. Dunno why, but it fits. Was my dad's, and I couldn't begin to guess at the number of deer we've stacked using it.

6 hours ago, Herchel said:

One of my newest guns is a 1961 Winchester Model 70, .270, the rifleman's rifle.

damn fine rifle and killer caliber.     the lack of match grade ammo hurts the .270  but if you reload it is about as good as the 6.5 creedmoor

Edited by AUskip07

16 hours ago, dawgbit said:

Basically the semiauto version of your 70. I'm dead on every time I shoulder the thing. Dunno why, but it fits. Was my dad's, and I couldn't begin to guess at the number of deer we've stacked using it.

It was my Uncle Aubreys. It has killed a buck or two.

10 hours ago, AUskip07 said:

damn fine rifle and killer caliber.     the lack of match grade ammo hurts the .270  but if you reload it is about as good as the 6.5 creedmoor

I'm using Hornady 140 gr. SST

On 2/26/2018 at 10:49 AM, nova said:

I'm waiting on a shockwave M.  Mag fed goodness!

A huge, bulky mag kind of defeats the whole purpose of having a sawed-off or "compact" gauge always at your fingertips... be fun at the range though.

I carry my shockwave right beside the seat in a scabbard; but it doesn't handle as well in practice with a side-saddle or sling attached, so I took them back off.

VISMNcStarCVRSCB2919T.thumb.jpg.4793ac968b6705f90f01bde2b32bd602.jpg

Perfect fit, with trigger-guard covered and protected, and grip extending about 4-5" out the top. If I have to get out of the SUV and take the sw with me, I went ahead and attached the side-saddle to the molle webbing... plenty of additional space if needed.

The potential capacity is a pretty cool novelty; but I can already load 9 rounds of 12 gauge into my bone-stock 930 spx with 18" barrel... these mag-fed 12's are huge, awkward, and prohibitively heavy.

Honestly, it's hard to envision a scenario where 6 or 9 rounds of 12 is inadequate to solve most problems; but everyone has their own unique set of needs/wants... I love all the ingenuity in getting what customers want on the market.

16 hours ago, dawgbit said:

Those things have some issues with pick up and feeding after wear. Easy to fix but a pain in the ass when it happens.