GatorUnvrsty

Found Its Way Into Your Safe

717 posts in this topic

Thought I'd start a running thread where folks can post their latest acquisitions; gun you've been lusting after for awhile, impulse buy, or special purpose need... pics are encouraged, stock photos or your own pics, especially if you've done mods or builds.

Personally, I typically like utility and versatility in my choices, so the guns I buy usually have more than 1 purpose or satisfy more than a single goal.

I already had an AK-platform rifle, but always wanted an AR-platform. First, though, .223/5.56x45 didn't really appeal to me much because I don't have much use for the caliber. But an AR-platform in .308/7.62x51 offered more possibilities in my particular situation; so that's what I set out to get.

2 things I didn't like about the bigger AR's was the much greater physical size and prohibitive weight; but many companies were starting to get into building .308 AR's to meet recently increased demand, and in the process making strides to cut down on the size and weight.

Then DPMS came out with their GII models that significantly cut down on both, almost down to AR-15 dimensions; so after doing a lot of homework and checking out a lot of written and video reviews, I snapped up a DPMS GII in January... 34.25" collapsed and only 7.25 lbs..

DPMSGenIIap4_zps1alh0vlv.png

http://dpms-gii.com/full.html

Obviously, one of the advantages of the AR is its ability to be modified; but I'm kind of a sucker for the classic look, so I haven't changed anything aside from adding a red/green dot sight and a recoil pad.

I bought a WASR-10 AK just for bobby_petrino.gifs and giggles.

Last real luster was the kimber 10mm. Glock 21 was an impulse buy to convert to 460 Rowland.

I bought a WASR-10 AK just for bobby_petrino.gifs and giggles.

Last real luster was the kimber 10mm. Glock 21 was an impulse buy to convert to 460 Rowland.

I've been eyeballing some 10mm's too as it's making somewhat of a resurgence; but I already have a .40 S&W so the 10mm is down the list a bit. That Glock should be a hoot, especially in something that lightweight.

Higher up on my list was a Judge; I considered a Raging Judge Magnum, but it was just so much heavier than a standard 2.5" or regular 3" magnum that I went ahead and got the 3" chambered magnum in stainless in March...

JudgeMagnum_zpsliz6xbh1.jpgJudgeMagnum1_zpsesxw1dow.jpg

I load it with Federal's 3" .410 Handgun loads, which are 5 copper-plated 000-buck balls @ around 800 fps.... Federal got it right with this load; even at 30 feet it still only spreads 3-4 inches. When I'm camping or hiking up in the mountains like last week, I load it with Buffalo Bore's .45 Colt standard pressure heavy rounds; 225 gr. hard cast wadcutters @ 900 fps. or so... Tim Sundles' recommendation.

i'm kinda wanting to add another 1911 to the safe. Not sure which one though. LGS is putting Rugers on sale this weekend. I kinda want one with a threaded barrel for a suppressor though...

i'm kinda wanting to add another 1911 to the safe. Not sure which one though. LGS is putting Rugers on sale this weekend. I kinda want one with a threaded barrel for a suppressor though...

I know it's almost sacrilege, but I've been looking at some of RIA's 1911-style pistols in 9mm/22TCM.

I already have a hi-cap .45ACP, but no 9mm at all, and I think that 22TCM is a pretty cool proprietary round; I could buy 1 of those and satisfy my wants of a 1911, a 9mm, and a smoking new .22 all with 1 purchase.

Looks like you may have to go with aftermarket to get a threaded barrel...

3614793_02_ruger_sr1911_lnib_2_barrels_on_640.jpg

But I'm betting Ruger offers one as a regular model soon, because they're one of the manufacturers who's kind of at the forefront of offering suppressor-ready models... I think they already offer a few rifles and the 22/45 Mark III with threaded barrels.

Kimber and sig have a couple. I'm also considering a single six revolver too. Or maybe a scorpion evo. Got too many wants

what do yall know about thermal scopes that i would want to know?

what do yall know about thermal scopes that i would want to know?

I know they all cost more than the rifles I'd put one on; just saw one on Optics Planet for $26,000... on sale. O_o

I know they all cost more than the rifles I'd put one on; just saw one on Optics Planet for $26,000... on sale. O_o

Damn! Hadn't priced one just thought it was a neat idea

@bbqit Thermal isn't that expensive anymore.

http://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/thermal-scopes/pulsar-apex-xd38a-thermal-scope/

The digital night vision scope, ATN X-sight can be had for just over $400

http://www.atncorp.com/x-sight-night-vision-rifle-scope-3-12x

I bought one and can see clearly out to 200 yds with the included illuminator, 300 is grainy but would clear up with a better illuminator.

Damn! Hadn't priced one just thought it was a neat idea

Yeah, it's great technology; but I personally just can't justify the expense.

To be fair I was shooting for a little humor and that $26,000 one was the most expensive; but even the "cheapest" one is $2000, and it's the only 1 in that neighborhood... most of the entry-level legit ones start at $3000. http://www.opticspla...rt=lowest-price

That's 3 times what I spent on my most expensive rifle; so it's just a little too cool for me, unfortunately.

I really like the guns I have; but putting one of those on my rifles would be like buying these rims...

231.jpg

and slapping them on a...

21265210025_large.jpg

:D

I want an old weathersby 3006 and a Wilson 1911. But I don't see either ever happening lol

@bbqit Thermal isn't that expensive anymore.

http://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/thermal-scopes/pulsar-apex-xd38a-thermal-scope/

The digital night vision scope, ATN X-sight can be had for just over $400

http://www.atncorp.com/x-sight-night-vision-rifle-scope-3-12x

I bought one and can see clearly out to 200 yds with the included illuminator, 300 is grainy but would clear up with a better illuminator.

Big difference between night vision and thermal imaging optics obviously; looks like thermal imaging is still about ten times as expensive as regular night vision scopes.

@GatorUnvrsty depends on what you get.

Like the ATN I linked is not "true" night vision. It's basically a video camera that's sensitive to IR. Used with an IR illuminator and you can see in the dark to an extent. Advantage is that you can do it on the cheap.

True Gen2/Gen 3 night vision using analog image intensifier tubes requires no illuminator and really is like turning dark to day. Gen 2+ like linked below, is the lower limit of what's useful and as you can see it's running about $2900 as well. The pulsar I linked is a true thermal scope with a FLIR brand microbolometer core.

http://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/night-vision/night-optics-d740-argus-4x-white-phosphor-night-vision-scope/

If thermal drops another grand, one is going to find it's way into my inventory.

Now you can go out and get OWL and other brand Gen 1 NV for a couple hundred bucks but they're worthless. Can barely see anything even with supplmental IR illuminators.

@GatorUnvrsty depends on what you get.

Like the ATN I linked is not "true" night vision. It's basically a video camera that's sensitive to IR. Used with an IR illuminator and you can see in the dark to an extent. Advantage is that you can do it on the cheap.

True Gen2/Gen 3 night vision using analog image intensifier tubes requires no illuminator and really is like turning dark to day. Gen 2+ like linked below, is the lower limit of what's useful and as you can see it's running about $2900 as well. The pulsar I linked is a true thermal scope with a FLIR brand microbolometer core.

http://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/night-vision/night-optics-d740-argus-4x-white-phosphor-night-vision-scope/

If thermal drops another grand, one is going to find it's way into my inventory.

Now you can go out and get OWL and other brand Gen 1 NV for a couple hundred bucks but they're worthless. Can barely see anything even with supplmental IR illuminators.

That's the good thing about technology; if you're patient you can get some great stuff... it's those folks with no impulse control or delayed gratification abilitiy that get jobbed.

One thing I've learned about buying firearms, too, that seems to affect the industry a little more than some other products, is that it's not always a good idea to go out and get the newest rage immediately.

There seem to be an awful lot of growing pains associated with new introductions once they hit the streets, even when manufacturers are the best in the business and do rigorous testing prior to the launch of a new gun.

Remington's R51 is a prime example, but even an elite builder like Kimber isn't immune. They had all kinds of problems with their Solo after it was introduced; even remember some concerns being voiced by gunwriters in actual publications, which is rare.

Their new .357 mag, K6s, is reviewed in this month's G&A; and while it's a technological marvel and a beautiful revolver with impeccable fit and finish, the testing proved pretty unimpressive. With 4 different brands of ammo 15-yard groups averaged 3.12, 3.51, 4.59, and 4.69 inches.

Now I realize it's a snubby designed for close-quarters work and extended accuracy isn't expected nor the ultimate goal; but even my humble Taurus 617 shoots better than that, as do most of the K6s's competitors... they still have a little work to do.

So even if I could afford the latest and greatest when they come out, I tend to wait and see how they hold up after some use in the real world; I'll pick up new offerings once they've worked out all the kinks, if there are any... ideally, prices will have dropped by that time, too.

That's the good thing about technology; if you're patient you can get some great stuff... it's those folks with no impulse control or delayed gratification abilitiy that get jobbed.

One thing I've learned about buying firearms, too, that seems to affect the industry a little more than some other products, is that it's not always a good idea to go out and get the newest rage immediately.

There seem to be an awful lot of growing pains associated with new introductions once they hit the streets, even when manufacturers are the best in the business and do rigorous testing prior to the launch of a new gun.

Remington's R51 is a prime example, but even an elite builder like Kimber isn't immune. They had all kinds of problems with their Solo after it was introduced; even remember some concerns being voiced by gunwriters in actual publications, which is rare.

Their new .357 mag, K6s, is reviewed in this month's G&A; and while it's a technological marvel and a beautiful revolver with impeccable fit and finish, the testing proved pretty unimpressive. With 4 different brands of ammo 15-yard groups averaged 3.12, 3.51, 4.59, and 4.69 inches.

Now I realize it's a snubby designed for close-quarters work and extended accuracy isn't expected nor the ultimate goal; but even my humble Taurus 617 shoots better than that, as do most of the K6s's competitors... they still have a little work to do.

So even if I could afford the latest and greatest when they come out, I tend to wait and see how they hold up after some use in the real world; I'll pick up new offerings once they've worked out all the kinks, if there are any... ideally, prices will have dropped by that time, too.

I've never been impressed by kimber. At the price, Springfield, colt, and Dan wesson are better buys for someone looking for an interior extractor 1911. Sig is better if you don't mind the external. I'm sure some kimbers are nice but I've seen way too many with constant problems. And their customer service is the worst around

I've never been impressed by kimber. At the price, Springfield, colt, and Dan wesson are better buys for someone looking for an interior extractor 1911. Sig is better if you don't mind the external. I'm sure some kimbers are nice but I've seen way too many with constant problems. And their customer service is the worst around

"You get what you pay for" USUALLY holds true; but that's not always the case with guns. The truth is EVERY manufacturer has problems with their products from time to time.

Last year G&A did a comparison/torture test with 10 different compact 9mm pistols, and the "winner" in terms of accuracy and reliability was the Taurus PT709 Slim, which can be bought brand new in the box for $200... no bobby_petrino.gif.

The lineup tested were the Beretta BU9 Nano, Glock 43, Kahr CM9, Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger LC9s Pro, SIG Sauer P290RS, Smith & Wesson M&P9 Shield, Springfield XDs 3.3, Taurus 709 SLIM, and Walther PPS.

From the article...

No pistol was lubricated or cleaned at any time. The very first 25 shots averaged three shooter’s five-shot groups from a 25-yard benchrest for accuracy at the beginning, and the same was done at the end of the 650-round testfire. We’ll let the data speak for itself.

Get ready for this: The striker-fired Taurus 709 Slim proved to be this test’s best value. Why? Let’s start with MSRP: $302. This year, Taurus dropped the prices for several of its models, to include the 709 Slim. That means we’re likely to find one of these for about $270 across the counter at the local gun store. But a low price doesn’t necessarily mean “cheap.”

Frankly, some of us entered this test with a slight bias. By the end of the test, all of our opinions had radically changed. It’s unfair to judge the new Slim until you’ve actually shot one.

To start, the 709 Slim printed the single best five-shot group of this entire test — 1.18 inches at 25 yards — in the capable hands of Chris Mudgett. And it did so after it had fired 635 rounds without a malfunction. (Then it went far, far beyond and has yet to stutter.)

The Slim weighs 3 ounces over a pound and has a grip that points naturally and a single-action trigger that’s impressively crisp. Though it only comes with one flush-pad magazine, we grew to appreciate its bright-yellow follower, which clearly indicated its status in low light, visible through the ejection port. (All companies should follow Taurus’ lead on this.)

Keeping an open mind and evaluating the Slim in hand with nine other pistols of this class, we all — including the three police officers among us — concluded that its ergonomics and performance earned it a place on the list of everyone’s top pistols tested.

At the completion of our initial performance test, several pistols moved on to shoot more than 650 rounds. Treating it as a final elimination stage, we agreed to run these pistols against the new Glock 43 to 1,000 rounds as long as there was no type of malfunction. This number is considered by many (particularly those in the law enforcement community) as the standard any duty gun must meet before they are willing to trust their lives to its reliability. Only three pistols made it: the Kahr CM-9, Taurus 709 Slim and Walther PPS. The CM-9 had an FTF on 763.

The road to 1,000 was quite a boring journey for the Glock 43, Taurus Slim and Walther PPS, which continued to run with five-minute breaks between strings of 100 rounds. All three evaluators rotated and pushed these pistols through several rapid-fire sessions at near-80-degree temperatures. After the 1,000-round mark was met, Eric Poole decided to push all three pistols through one final program he calls the “typewriter test.” This drill draws from different loads and bullet weights staggered in each magazine — usually leftover ammunition from other tests. Though all loads were of Winchester’s manufacture, the audible report heard through ear muffs is akin to a typewriter smacking paper. Springs and small parts must instantly react to the changing pressures resulting from different loads.

These last 50 rounds did nothing to affect the performance of these pistols. The Glock 43, Taurus 709 Slim and Walther PPS all successfully pushed to 1,050 rounds fired.

http://www.gunsandam...k-9mm-shootout/

I have the Taurus PT740 Slim; essentially identical to the 709 but in .40 S&W... never had a single malfunction.

Edited by GatorUnvrsty

Some companies have better customer service than others. Which is one reason I buy mostly Springfield. SACS is awesome. Free delivery and they return it within a week or so. I've had them do custom work on 1911 before and they do a great job for a decent price as well. And it's covered by them for life

Some companies have better customer service than others. Which is one reason I buy mostly Springfield. SACS is awesome. Free delivery and they return it within a week or so. I've had them do custom work on 1911 before and they do a great job for a decent price as well. And it's covered by them for life

11 years ago I picked up a mossberg 270 for little of nothing. Firing pin stuck one time last winter. They fixed it free saying still under warranty.

11 years ago I picked up a mossberg 270 for little of nothing. Firing pin stuck one time last winter. They fixed it free saying still under warranty.

Wow, that's pretty impressive. Back when they first released the 930 SPX, there happened to be a run of early guns with improperly welded (canted) front sights; I had a 930 SPX, and didn't see anything wrong with mine, but called anyway to see if my serial number was in the range of defective ones. Turns out it wasn't, but they sent me a new barrel anyway, along with an upgraded mag spring even though I wasn't having any feeding issues... so now I have spares of both if I somehow manage to wear out either.

@ GoldenRebel The one area Kimber is great at is their 10mms. They run like tops.

An old family friend used to carry a 10 mm. He swore by it and said he'd never carry any other caliber. Haven't seen him in years but I'm sure he still is. Never shot one myself