Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoldenRebel

Butch Thompson to Auburn

32 posts in this topic

Sounds pretty much like a done deal.

Yep. Heard this the other day. Doesn't surprise me.

Yep. Heard this the other day. Doesn't surprise me.

Is it devil talk to say yall could hire someone potentially better?

Is it devil talk to say yall could hire someone potentially better?

I don't keep up much with college baseball coaching world. I would hope we could hire someone on par with Butch. Have you heard any names?

I don't keep up much with college baseball coaching world. I would hope we could hire someone on par with Butch. Have you heard any names?

Nah. But I think butch is a bit overrated

Only shocking thing is it took somebody this long to hire the man as a HC.....dude is good....

Nah. But I think butch is a bit overrated

There has been some more chatter from more "in-the-know" State fans that Thompson builds his game for small ball, and that as the game transitions more and more that he has lost something.

Also, I'll bet its hard to work for Cohen. It usually is when it comes to most Type A, driven people.

ETA: Some think he was better off in the "dead bat" era. There we go. Edited for clarity I guess.

The Jazz singer, right?

butch-thompson2.jpg

He does have a nice stache.

You googled Butch Thompson and couldn't wait to come here with that, huh? :trollface:

You googled Butch Thompson and couldn't wait to come here with that, huh? :trollface:

I really didn't have a clue who he was, not too big on college baseball these days.

There has been some more chatter from more "in-the-know" State fans that Thompson builds his game for small ball, and that as the game transitions more and more that he has lost something.

Also, I'll bet its hard to work for Cohen. It usually is when it comes to most Type A, driven people.

ETA: Some think he was better off in the "dead bat" era. There we go. Edited for clarity I guess.

I'm not going to pretend like I know. But it seems to me that his staff has gotten worse each year and he hasn't put a starter worth a damn on the mound in a while. Lack of consistency. But he's put several good bullpen arms in the pros. I'm not sure what falls on butch and what falls on Cohen.

Kendall Rogers seems to think we can hire someone quickly. He tweeted last night that he has spoken to some of the "elite" guys that have already said that if Butch leaves they would be interested.

Done deal now and according to Cohen, there's already a replacement lined up

Done deal now and according to Cohen, there's already a replacement lined up

My money is on Wes Johnson. Ties to arkansas and texas. Hell of a pitching coach resume for a younger guy

Cohen called whoever it is "one of the nation's elite pitching coaches"

Apparently Jason Dietrich from Cal State Fullerton is interviewing today.

Apparently Jason Dietrich from Cal State Fullerton is interviewing today.

He turned down the job

I can't wait for baseball season.

Weekends out in Swayze, a cold beer in my hand and the rebs inevitably going out in the regionals.

O_o No idea who #2 on the list is

Got to be Wes Johnson

Looks like they're announcing the new pitching coach tomorrow morning...

Got to be Wes Johnson

Looks like you called it based on current reports

@@GoldenRebel, what is your take the on Wes Johnson hire? Apologies if you've already given it. I didn't read the whole thread.

• Popular Now

• GAMECOCK_FAN
      Billy Graham, whose 'matchless voice changed the lives of millions,' dies at 99
    • bbqit
      It will trickle back into the economy. I told her to spend it on herself whether is $50 or saved up more but to spend it cause that helps the economy. She loved my idea of doing her part to help. 
    • bbqit
      Nobody has a problem with fully auto being banned. I personally have no problem with a 21 age limit. Not because I’m over a hundred but because if they didn’t have a Dad that could teach them how to handle a gun then they got learning to do. Folks argue the military allows 18 with a gun but they are getting training. To end on this the ar is not an assault weapon and in its bought condition is no more deadly than any other gun. 
    • possumslayer
      High school kids in public schools buy their textbooks?
    • possumslayer
      Butt did that money trickle down to your brown immigrant soybean pickers? 😂I apologize 😂
  • Popular Contributors

1. 1
      smokeyone
      smokeyone
    2. 2
      bbqit
      bbqit
    3. 3
      possumslayer
      possumslayer
    4. 4
      L.A.Hog