Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BulldawgFan

RB Question

25 posts in this topic

Anyone who has watched MSU's games this year knows how bad the runnning game is. Shumpert is slow, has no vision, and doesn't have that burst to get around the corner on stretch plays. I know Merlin is partial to upperclassman but can anyone give one good reason why we haven't gave Lee, Williams ,or Dear a chance to start yet? I really like the way Dear looked early in that Auburn game then he just disappeared. I'm use to MSU running the ball and it frustrates me that Mullen is so pass happy this year.

Anyone who has watched MSU's games this year knows how bad the runnning game is. Shumpert is slow, has no vision, and doesn't have that burst to get around the corner on stretch plays. I know Merlin is partial to upperclassman but can anyone give one good reason why we haven't gave Lee, Williams ,or Dear a chance to start yet? I really like the way Dear looked early in that Auburn game then he just disappeared. I'm use to MSU running the ball and it frustrates me that Mullen is so pass happy this year.

It may have to do with blocking ability and protecting Dak who is your most valuable asset.

It may have to do with blocking ability and protecting Dak who is your most valuable asset.

Shumpert is solid at pass blocking for sure ,but theres gotta be someway to jump start a running game.

From what I have heard, the other running backs struggle at blocking and the schemes

From what I have heard, the other running backs struggle at blocking and the schemes

That makes sense honestly. The problem with being a pass happy offense is you don't burn time off the clock which leaves your defense on the field way longer than it needs to be.

Dear is an absolute hell of an athlete, got to see one of his HS games last year.

Kinda glad, as an OM fan, he isn't out there yet :lol:

Cuz Dan Mullen. That's why.

If a RB can't run the ball, he's not a RB. I was hoping so bad shumpert would at least be a 800 yard back this year. He may not be 500 now.

But hard to argue X's and O's with Mullen given the results. I understand why we are more of a passing team this year, bc we have big time WRs and a QB that can get them the ball.

But the lacking ability to make any....hell just 10 yard runs is very frustrating.

Maybe yo new o line is better at pass blocking. It's rare to have an o line good at both

Maybe yo new o line is better at pass blocking. It's rare to have an o line good at both

That's playing a part in it I'm sure. The holes are not nearly as open as they were last year.

Struggling with pass protection isn't a reason to keep more talented runners on the bench. Dreadlocks can't run worth bobby_petrino.gif.

Struggling with pass protection isn't a reason to keep more talented runners on the bench. Dreadlocks can't run worth bobby_petrino.gif.

We have a hoss running back that you haven't seen just for that very reason

I posted earlier, we may see a new face in the backfield for more plays today. Also, agree that Shump is better blocker and understands offense. He is also reliable receiver out of the backfield. I don't care if we run or pass, as long as we win. Having a good passing attack will open up some good runs for Fred or whomever when the defense is not ready. We saw some pretty good runs against Auburn when when we got the corner. We are not one dimensional, just passing more than in past

At this point, we've got to try anything. Stick Dear back there. He's built like Josh Robinson yet he's probably a few steps faster.

Our short fat WR and our QB are our best running backs this season...

Our short fat WR and our QB are our best running backs this season...

If you are referring to Dear I don't think he's actually listed as a WR. I think on the roster his position is athlete.

We have a log jam with young RBs. Dear, lee, Williams, Murphy and that 4* from bama last year. All freshmen or being redshirted. I expect 1 or 2 to move positions or transfer

We have a log jam with young RBs. Dear, lee, Williams, Murphy and that 4* from bama last year. All freshmen or being redshirted. I expect 1 or 2 to move positions or transfer

...and 0 running game...strange how that works.

...and 0 running game...strange how that works.

if we gave guys that can run the ball the damn football...well we might actually get better at running the football.

if we gave guys that can run the ball the damn football...well we might actually get better at running the football.

couldn't agree with you more

Hell use more two back sets with shump and dear/Aries/lee and let shump block.

I know our coaches are a lot smarter than me when it comes to these things but lanekiffin.gif.

Play action doesn't work very well when the defense isn't scared of the run, and play action is key for dans offense.

Malik Dear is the only logical answer to this question at the moment. JRob was lousy at pass blocking too, but look how the offense has struggled without him. We were--and I was one of the biggest ones--deluding ourselves to think that we wouldn't miss Bowling Ball and that we could just plug and play RBs.

Malik Dear is the only logical answer to this question at the moment. JRob was lousy at pass blocking too, but look how the offense has struggled without him. We were--and I was one of the biggest ones--deluding ourselves to think that we wouldn't miss Bowling Ball and that we could just plug and play RBs.

include me there also.

I was just nieve hoping shump could fill the roll.

We can plug and play rb's. Mullen just refuses to play an actual RB instead a FB pretending to be a RB.

Time to just come to grips that we can't run the ball and won't be able to the rest of the season.

Time to just come to grips that we can't run the ball and won't be able to the rest of the season.

until the Egg Bowl...