UAdan

Official 2014-2015 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread

171 posts in this topic

Rumors are that we're in it for Lester. If we were able to get him or Scherzer, this team would be insane.

stop being greedy god dammit

stop being greedy god dammit

Apparently we have plenty of money. Ballpark Village is a goldmine and we're about to get a new tv deal.

Who put the sign up pointing dooooshebag Card fans to this thread???

Who put the sign up pointing dooooshebag Card fans to this thread???

I'm still a secondary Braves fan.

I'm still a secondary Braves fan.

"No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot love both Cards and Braves. Choose this day whom you will serve."

-Matthew 6:24

:trollface:

..........I should've been a cards fan

We'd be a lot less miserable and we'd have Heyward

We will have a similar revenue to the Cards' Ballpark Village when we build the new stadium. I'm excited to see the areas surrounding with the stores and restaraunts. Good that the team can use it as revenue year-round.

This team is going to look awfully different in about four or five days.

Winter Meetings begin tomorrow, and the speculation is ... the Braves might be one of the most active teams involved. Lots of movement. Justin and Gattis...watch out.

oh yes...lets trade Justin for more pitching. We won't score any runs but our losing pitchers will have the lowest ERA's of anybody.

dumbasses

So we just traded j up for max fried and jace Peterson. Two former 1st rounders. Neither have done bobby_petrino.gif and fried had tommy John last spring. Meh. I wanted renfroe

Edited by GoldenRebel

Padres got Justin Upton without giving any of their A-list prospects. This offseason keeps getting worse.

After doing some research, it's not as bad as I thought. No headliner names...Fried being the most well-known (rated as the 3rd best prospect in the SD organization prior to the '14 season)...Jace Peterson the No. 6 best...he's got a lot to like about him. The other two guys are pretty low in the system thus haven't been rated as highly. Definitely a trade for the future.

But in hindsight, this really does make the Markakis deal seem irksome. Why sign a 31 yr old to a 4-year deal if your plan is to 'build for the future'?

"Jace Peterson is another first-round pick (58 overall), selected in the 2011 draft out of McNeese State University. He was listed as the Padres No. 7 prospect prior to 2014 by Baseball America. He’s a shortstop, but has also played second and third. While he has below-average power, he sprays the gaps and gets on base well then uses plus speed and instincts to take the extra base. He profiles as a top-of-the-order hitter with a low strikeout rate and a high walk rate. He had several brief stints in the majors this year, serving mainly as a backup player."

Markakis, Collaspo, and now Jace Peterson. It's clear this team is trending towards the contact, low-K, high-OBP type hitters. Getting away from the Wren-ball of all-or-nothing culture.

"Jace Peterson is another first-round pick (58 overall), selected in the 2011 draft out of McNeese State University. He was listed as the Padres No. 7 prospect prior to 2014 by Baseball America. He’s a shortstop, but has also played second and third. While he has below-average power, he sprays the gaps and gets on base well then uses plus speed and instincts to take the extra base. He profiles as a top-of-the-order hitter with a low strikeout rate and a high walk rate. He had several brief stints in the majors this year, serving mainly as a backup player."

Markakis, Collaspo, and now Jace Peterson. It's clear this team is trending towards the contact, low-K, high-OBP type hitters. Getting away from the Wren-ball of all-or-nothing culture.

What they fail to mention is he can't cut in the infield at the mlb level and projects out as an outfielder. With little to no pop

Ok I've had time to digest. And I'm changing my tune a but now that we are also getting mallex smith and Dustin Peterson. Not a bad haul for a one year rental.

Fried can be a top 3 starter for us in 2 years depending on how he comes back from tommy john. If he recovers 100% he will be a solid rotational piece. He has the stuff. Top high school arm taken in 2012

Jace Peterson is athletic but raw. He played two football also at mcneese state. Nothing in his game is polished. But with time and coaching he could be a Martin Prado or Omar infante type player. Athletic enough to play anywhere and ample bat. He's just really really raw. Project player with upside. 1st round pick

Dustin Peterson is our future 3rd baseman. If he gets his head right. He's dj petersons little bro and has talent. Scouts love his hands at the plate. Still young. 20 I think. Reported maturity problems off the field last year. 2nd round pick

Mallex smith is fast. Real fast. He's projected as a better billy Hamilton. Or some say Ben revere. Stole 88 bags last year. And hit .310

None of these will likely help us until 2016. You may see jace get work at 2nd later in the season. But if you take emotion out of it and lion who we got for a rental that's not bad. Much better than if we let upton walk at the end of the season. I just wanted renfroe. That kid is a future all star. Which is prob why they wouldn't deal

Wren ? Try lanekiffin.gifing Fredi. This totally pisses me off. We needed a lead off. That was it. You trade Justin and keep BJ ? You let your best HR bat and a great LF for a "maybe" ? Fredi needed to go. PERIOD. Hes proven ever since hes been in ATL that he can't manage a team. You needed a threat to hit a HR at any time and Justin was that bat. lanekiffin.gifing morons the lot of'em. Hell, while ur at it, get another pitcher. Seems like we can't get enough of them. lanekiffin.gif the Braves.

idiots

All decent talents, won't know for sure until about 2-3 years down the road from now. It could either be like when we traded FOR Teixeira and the Rangers ended up with a crop of prospects that all turned out to be quality players...or it could be like when we traded Teixeira AWAY and got nothing but Casey Kotchman in return.

Speaking of Prado, he's back in the NL East. Traded to the Fish today for Eovaldi.

4th place in the East next year with 90-some losses seems our likeliest destination. I only hope that if it ends up being that bad, they actually fire Fredi and get a new guy in place to prep the team for the move to SunTrust in '17. Someone with some energy, a younger guy.

Our top two backup catcher options are AJ Pierzynski and Jose Molina.

Make it staaaahp.

Fredi ain't going anywhere

Edited by GoldenRebel

I have to say the thought of a Mallex Smith/Jose Peraza top of the order for 2016 would be oh so sweet. A couple of OBP machines who are quick on the bases. Smith, in particular, fits that Dee Gordon/Billy Hamilton prototype.