• Announcements

• Benny

Forums Restructured   09/22/2016

A lot of less active forums have been removed and consolidated with larger forums.  SEC Recruiting and Official Game Threads have been merged into SEC Football Talk.  All SEC Social Groups have been moved under their respective team forums. All other Social Groups have been merged into the Water Fountain. Other less active off-topic forums such as Think Tank, SciFi, Gaming, etc, have been merged into the Water Fountain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SERDI

Permanent Opponents for Basketball

51 posts in this topic

So the big mystery was revealed Friday on this year's SEC Basketball schedule.

What I want to know is when is Mr. Slive going to announce each of the schools three permanent home and home opponents?

I thought with all the talk that it would have begun this season but obviously with the the continued mickey mouse rotation now in its third season, Mr. Slive still can't pull the trigger.

Kentucky on tradition alone from 1933 to present should have Tennessee and Vanderbilt as two of its permanents and then the recent and mandated ESPN permanent, Florida.

Surely, Mr. Slive will be able to announce each of the schools three permanents by the beginning of the 2015-16 season won't he?

I would expect a response for Arkansas for someone 25 years old.

For the entire body of work as they say 1933 to present, Tennessee and Vanderbilt before all else.

Posted · Hidden by Porcine, October 16, 2014 - No reason given · Report post

Would have been easier to stay with divisions.

I agree on the divisions...until many of the schools in the league step up their non-conference schedules it does not matter what kind of structure their is for basketball in the SEC, we are not going to get more or less bids to the NCAA tournament because of structure.

Posted · Hidden by Porcine, October 16, 2014 - No reason given · Report post

I agree on the divisions...until many of the schools in the league step up their non-conference schedules it does not matter what kind of structure their is for basketball in the SEC, we are not going to get more or less bids to the NCAA tournament because of structure.

We did our part. Now let's not choke away opportunities to solidify a spot in the tourny.

Basketball? The pig skins are flying, ain't nobody got time fo that.

Tennessee and Vanderbilt should be mandatory with our long historical rivalries. Arkansas/Mizzou/Florida take your pick for the last spot.

Tennessee and Vanderbilt should be mandatory with our long historical rivalries. Arkansas/Mizzou/Florida take your pick for the last spot.

Florida and Tennessee will be the definite ones and the last spot I think will come done to Mizzou and Arkansas.

Florida and Tennessee will be the definite ones and the last spot I think will come done to Mizzou and Arkansas.

Vanderbilt is our second oldest and second biggest SEC rival.

Only charter members of the SEC understand that. If it is a level playing field and all stops are pulled to keep the most precious, historic, and traditional match ups on the football side, then it ought to be done for the flagship/aircraft carrier on the basketball side, and, Tennessee and Vanderbilt will be two of UK's three permanent opponents. Currently Florida is arguably in that slot for the third; but, in years and decades past it has been State, LSU, Alabama, and Arkansas...they come and go. Tennessee and Vanderbilt don't come and go...they are our permanent rivals.

And I don't think Slive cares about that at all. Mizzou/Arkansas/Florida will draw better ratings and be a marquee game for the SEC and one vs Vandy wouldn't.

And I don't think Slive cares about that at all. Mizzou/Arkansas/Florida will draw better ratings and be a marquee game for the SEC and one vs Vandy wouldn't.

It doesn't matter who Kentucky plays it will draw ratings. If you think that is not a fact, look at at the Super Tuesday line up on ESPN. Of all the games it is UK vs somebody or Florida vs somebody. Only one time Arkansas v Georgia, is Kentucky or Florida not part of the Super Tuesday...and prior to Billy building Florida into a national program, the Super Tuesday games were limited to Kentucky vs somebody.

Slive talks about tradition....then its UK with at least two of its permanent opponents Tennessee and Vanderbilt.

It doesn't matter who Kentucky plays it will draw ratings. If you think that is not a fact, look at at the Super Tuesday line up on ESPN. Of all the games it is UK vs somebody or Florida vs somebody. Only one time Arkansas v Georgia, is Kentucky or Florida not part of the Super Tuesday...and prior to Billy building Florida into a national program, the Super Tuesday games were limited to Kentucky vs somebody.

Slive talks about tradition....then its UK with at least two of its permanent opponents Tennessee and Vanderbilt.

I know Kentucky will draw good ratings because of BBN regardless of the opponent but a game against Mizzou/Arky/Florida would have national appeal for fans from any team and would draw significantly better ratings.

I've enjoyed our games with Kentucky over the years and I hope we can continue to play yearly.

There have been a lot of great games between the two since we joined the conference and it would be a shame to see it end.Our fans are passionate about basketball,too,of course not to the extent of Kentucky.

It's basketball, what Kentucky wants Kentucky gets. BBN just needs to get on Slive and push for the three we want. We didn't last time and we got stuck with Florida. Tennessee and Vandy have always been our main rivals. Florida is johnny come lately, and they'll be gone when Billy leaves, just like all the other pretenders before them. Auburn and Bruce Pearl will probably be appealing soon enough. From a fan v fan standpoint Arkansas should get it.

I understand the tradition with Vandy but what's a more exciting game for us UK fans? Vandy or Arkansas? The SEC is gonna worry more about money than history anyways. Either team vs UK is gonna draw national attention but against Arkansas it's a more high profile game at the moment. After Stallings retires who honestly believes Vandy will be relevant in the near future? Arkansas is the more decorated program and will be more appealing to coaches than Vandy will.

I just don't wanna get stuck with Vandy and in the future be blowing them out of the water like an Auburn or Georgia.

People would watch Kentucky-Arkansas.

No ones gives a f*** about Kentucky-Vandy.

It's basketball, what Kentucky wants Kentucky gets. BBN just needs to get on Slive and push for the three we want. We didn't last time and we got stuck with Florida. Tennessee and Vandy have always been our main rivals. Florida is johnny come lately, and they'll be gone when Billy leaves, just like all the other pretenders before them. Auburn and Bruce Pearl will probably be appealing soon enough. From a fan v fan standpoint Arkansas should get it.

When I grow up, I want humility to be a cornerstone of my life, just like you PT.

When I grow up, I want humility to be a cornerstone of my life, just like you PT.

Why should we be humble about it? If they tried to break up the WLOCP for another matchup with better TV ratings wouldn't you get pissed? Tennessee and Vanderbilt are our main rivals. Florida is now what Mississippi State, Arkansas, LSU, and Alabama were in stages before. UK-UF certainly a rivalry right now, but if were talking about etching these 3 matchups in stone I personally like Arkansas as our third. Hog fans get basketball. They don't disappear when their basketball success does. Gator fans do.

Why should we be humble about it? If they tried to break up the WLOCP for another matchup with better TV ratings wouldn't you get pissed? Tennessee and Vanderbilt are our main rivals. Florida is now what Mississippi State, Arkansas, LSU, and Alabama were in stages before. UK-UF certainly a rivalry right now, but if were talking about etching these 3 matchups in stone I personally like Arkansas as our third. Hog fans get basketball. They don't disappear when their basketball success does. Gator fans do.

Difference is, our football rivalries actually get good ratings.

Rivalries in other sports don't get attention, only big matchups do.

Maybe if Tennessee or Arkansas had been good the last 5 years, you could play them all the time instead of us.

I bet a 2 game losing streak to us would hurt less than a 3 game losing streak.

Difference is, our football rivalries actually get good ratings.

Rivalries in other sports don't get attention, only big matchups do.

Maybe if Tennessee or Arkansas had been good the last 5 years, you could play them all the time instead of us.

I bet a 2 game losing streak to us would hurt less than a 3 game losing streak.

If the ratings don't matter then give us who we want because were the only fans putting $ into the coffers. The Lexington and Louisville TV markets are always the Top 2 in the country followed by the Triangle. If Pearl were still in Knoxville then yeah, probably would have had them. And when we go to 3 perms, we will. It will most likely be UT, UF, and someone else. VU is who it should be but we'll see.

As for streaks...meh. All-time WL, run off 20+ in a row at times, national champ runner up last year, etc.

If the ratings don't matter then give us who we want because were the only fans putting $ into the coffers. The Lexington and Louisville TV markets are always the Top 2 in the country followed by the Triangle. If Pearl were still in Knoxville then yeah, probably would have had them. And when we go to 3 perms, we will. It will most likely be UT, UF, and someone else. VU is who it should be but we'll see.

As for streaks...meh. All-time WL, run off 20+ in a row at times, national champ runner up last year, etc.

I said ratings DO matter. Which is why an Arkansas permanent opponent is way more likely than Vanderbilt getting it.

Ratings are the only reason Florida and Kentucky are permanent opponents.

No one gives a feck about national runner up lol.

You got a Final Four banner, just like us.

Except we swept you and broke some of your conference records in the process.

If they keep pairing up the best several teams, the bottom half of the conference is going to struggle even more getting an NCAA bid.

Nobody shows humility on this site including gator fans. Whenever UK gets beat in bball humility is the last thing shown by the rival fans.

Besides, UK takes so much iaBdfkZ.png during football season that much of our arrogance during bball season is justified

Nobody shows humility on this site including gator fans. Whenever UK gets beat in bball humility is the last thing shown by the rival fans.

Besides, UK takes so much iaBdfkZ.png during football season that much of our arrogance during bball season is justified

• Titans4Vols
      Yeah, Jancek's famous man to man defense with no blitz on 3rd and 4th down.
    • Based Potato
      Lord knows that was the gameplan last year.
    • Titans4Vols
      Shoop knows how to cover it up with his blitzes, and with Martin out our secondary isn't too bad. We've got two good safeties and the corners are passable sans-Martin(who himself isn't as bad as he showed yesterday, but still isn't good).   Plus a big bonus is Georgia WRs have no idea how to catch a football, so we could probably leave them uncovered and still be ok.
    • Based Potato
      Eh, don't overrate the defensive performance. Our secondary is a liability.
    • Titans4Vols
      Eason(who I do think has a lot of potential, but he's just too inexperienced) won't be able to do anything against a Bob Shoop defense, so as long as DeBord gets his s**t together, we should win this game with ease. It being in Georgia is my only big concern. Will be the first time we've left the state of Tennessee this year, and first time not in front of a majority Tennessee crowd(Bristol was probably 65-35 Tennessee/Va Tech fans).
  • Popular Contributors

1. 1
      JoeGator
      JoeGator
    2. 2
      PuddingTime
      PuddingTime
    3. 3
      bbqit
      bbqit
    4. 4
      RammaJamma